Cop robbed at ATM

Cop robbed at ATM

This is a discussion on Cop robbed at ATM within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This story appeared in the police blotter section of The Palm Beach Post (West Palm Beach, FL): West Palm Beach -- An off-duty police officer ...

Thread: Cop robbed at ATM

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

Cop robbed at ATM

This story appeared in the police blotter section of The Palm Beach Post (West Palm Beach, FL):
    West Palm Beach -- An off-duty police officer (emphasis mine) was robbed at gunpoint at a Bank of America ATM Tuesday morning, police said. Two armed robbers took money from the officer, whose name was not released, shortly after midnight at the ATM in the 7300 block of South Dixie Highway. (Note: I use this branch commonly, though not frequently. Before I got direct deposit, I would often leave work at 2:00 a.m. on Fridays and deposit my weekly checks -- always remaining alert and making an obvious show that I was looking around. Still not the best idea, tempting fate like that, though. If confronted, sure I'd see it coming; but I'd still have to fight, wouldn't I.) The robbers got away in a charcoal gray 2002 Ford Taurus. Police believe both robbers are men, one of whom wore a "561" baseball cap. Police are investigating whether the same robbers kidnapped an 81-year-old man at gunpoint a few hours later at his home in the 5900 block of 59th Way. The man was about to leave his home about 5:50 a.m. when two men in a maroon Chrysler PT Cruiser blocked his vehicle. They forced him to drive to the Bank of America at 45th Street and Military Trail and make two withdrawals; then made him drive them back to their vehicle. Anyone with information is asked to call police at (561) 822-1900 or Crime Stoppers at (800) 458-8477.

I'm wondering about this story. Haven't seen anything about it except for this small blurb. A COP got jacked at an ATM?! Where was his situational awareness? No mention is made of whether he was armed, and if his gun was taken from him if he was. Note that there is no mention of him firing after his robbers, whether he was armed or not. (I bet if he wasn't, he's going to be now!)

And the other guy, well, if that was me, they'd be taking fire, no doubt about it. This is what happens to sheeple who are not armed on the day the wrong kind of person crosses their path.

That is an interesting story. I don't know any cops where I live that don't carry when they are off duty.
    "Dont be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be. But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price." - Lane Frost

whoops, he's gonna get some jokes at work.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

I'm Amazed...

If anyone was/should have been aware of his/her surroundings...one would think that this cop would have been VERY aware of the possibilities at an ATM?

Wow...did they take his gun too?"

Stay alert...stay armed!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It's gonna be an absolute emergency for me not to use a drive-up ATM, especially locally.

In fairness to the victim, all the details are not known about the robbery, but jeez louise....

Walking up to an ATM at midnight, eh? Seems like a simple recipe, there.

Reap what you sow. That a crime will occur isn't within our control, as the BG is in the control seat. However, the probability of a crime occurring is certainly in our control and can be (often dramatically) reduced by simple steps, awareness, ability to instantly respond to changes in the level of threat around us. It's a simple matter of closing down a BG's options, of limiting the opportunities we ourselves offer up, resulting in a hardened perimeter and a layered strategy. That goes for the home, for walking in public areas, and for doing the ol' ATM two-step.

Obvious preferences:
    • If can wait until daylight, go inside to a teller at a branch you frequent, where you're known and in a camera's view. If possible, choose a teller at the end of the line, to afford the greatest field of vision. Monitor those around/behind you.
    • If cannot wait, use a drive-up ATM in a busy public area that's against a long/solid wall, with doors locked, windows up, car in gear and foot on the brake. Monitor those around/behind you.
    • If must use a walk-up ATM, do so in a busy public area during daylight hours. Monitor those around/behind you.
    • If unable to do any of the above, rethink the possibilities and start at the top of the list ... or have far more-likely consequences.

Yup.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Sadly a lot of cops walk around in condition white even while on duty , they would rather have a cross pen set than training with firearms . any given LE Dept. probably has more gun enthusiasts than your average office of the same size , but not by very many. Its a fight that every LE trainer is well aware of , they just show up because they are orderd to .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Sadly a lot of cops walk around in condition white even while on duty , they would rather have a cross pen set than training with firearms .
    One would think that's simple malfeasance, gross negligence, failure to perform one's duty. Let alone the fact that the individual is now put at much higher risk for just such crimes. Heads in the sand. Absolutely.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

On a Personal Defense show a few weeks ago, Massad Ayood did a great segment on ATM's both walk up and drive up. Really an eye opener.
    The drive up suprised me. He keeps his doors lock, the is a give me, but he keeps his vehicle in gear (drive) so that he can drive off if needed or use the car as a weapon. Never thought of that one.
    Great show to watch for tips and rethinking your situational awareness. Much like the forum here.
    Now if I just had enough money to use the ATM's I would add another Wilson to my collection

JBuck

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I know a few officers who don't normally carry off duty.

Of course there's always a chance that if someone catch's you off guard - gets the drop on you - that it might be too risky to try something and you have to go along with their demands.
    For God, Family and Country!

I've got this scenario under control..............

I haven't used an ATM in 6-7 years........... Hell I don't even know my pin number.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Let's not forget about this one:

Yonkers Police Captain Mugged While on Walk

Posted: Wednesday, 15 November 2006 7:51AM

YONKERS, N.Y. -- This is like pulling on Superman's cape.

A group of four to five men apparently didn't realize it but the man they mugged last night for a cell phone in Yonkers is the commander of the Yonkers Police Internal Affairs Division.

Police say Detective Captain Gerald Curtis was taking his usual health walk on the city's west side around 10:30 Tuesday night when the four or five men ganged up on him. Police say the robbery was near Palisade Avenue and Delavan Terrace, just north of Commerce School.

The muggers escaped. Curtis was off duty.

Police say Curtis loves walking for exercise.

Police are expected to have more information about the robbery Wednesday.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I read this story a few days ago, the body of the story was much larger. Maybe the media outlet has retracted most of the details to save the PD any further embarrassment???
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Sponsored Links