So glad this turned ok.

This is a discussion on So glad this turned ok. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Years ago I worked as a EMT/IV Tech on a ambulance in a sort of small city. I was single living in apt. I worked ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pignut
  • 1 Post By oldnfat

Thread: So glad this turned ok.

So glad this turned ok.

Years ago I worked as a EMT/IV Tech on a ambulance in a sort of small city. I was single living in apt. I worked long hours and odd hours. People had been having their autos broken into a lot in this apt complex. It was a pretty nice place,nice stuff in cars. I woke up about 2:30 AM and walked out on the deck and smoked and looked over the parked cars. I saw someone across the parking lot stumbling around,holding his stomach. I thought he looked like he was hurt. Then he fell beside a car and into a concrete barrier. He did not seem to be able to get up. I did not want to check on him but I was concerned he was hurt,so I started easing around to where he was. He was still down. I came up on him from the other side of the car,all the time asking if he was OK. Do you need help? All that stuff and he is still struggling to get up and did not answer.I was by now right across the trunk part of the car and he began to get up. Parking lot is lighted and I have a flashlight. I keep asking if he is OK,no answer. He stands up and has blood running down his face. He also has blood on his shirt. He won't answer me and keeps messing with his waistband,pulling at his shirt tail and messing around when I see he has something in his waistband of his jeans. I have a pistol in my back pocket and now reach around and get hold of it,while asking over and over what he is doing. Is he hurt bad or what. I see that he is pulling something out of his waistband and I see the glint of a revolver barrel. I am now saying stop what you are doing and answer me. No answer. I think if he points the revolver at me I am going to have to shoot him. He comes right on out with the pistol and points it toward me. I am 1/2 second from shooting when I see he is trying to hand me a long neck beer. Just now the cop who I called before going into the parking lot shows up. The guy is drunk,got kicked out by his friends,and was planning to drive home. I check his head,not bad,let the cop deal with him and never tell this story till now. Have always been real glad I did not shoot.
    Vuva3rae likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Wow. Guy has no idea how close he was...
    "Your mind is the weapon, all the rest are just tools." --gasmitty

glad you didnt have to shoot him.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

VIP Member
    Glad you didn't shoot for a number of reasons. Had you, we might be reading about you in the news!
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Distinguished Member
    Could you not have got behind cover (car) or ran from the scene? No need to fire if that was possible. Sheepdogs know when to avoid the wolf and when to engage him.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    Could you not have got behind cover (car) or ran from the scene? No need to fire if that was possible. Sheepdogs know when to avoid the wolf and when to engage him.
    We don't all claim to be "sheepdogs" you know ...

Now,at my age,and not being involved in ambulance services and such,I would probably just go back to bed.That night I was on call and would have been dealing with this guy one way or another.I am glad he did not make it into his car and get on the road.Edit:oldnfat,I did not fire,I did not even draw my gun,but it looked like I was going to need to for a few seconds.And back in those days,I did not run from much,things are much different now.

Wow, glad it turn out the way it did and if there is a next time I think that you might do that a little different.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

Glad that you called police first.

It would have troubled me, also, that this guy was not responding verbally to you. I'm not at al sure that I would have approached him; I would have let the police deal with the entire personal interaction thing.

I would not go up to him today,but back then I was all about saving lives and thought he was hurt.My point in posting this old story was to show how bad this could have turned out,even though no one was trying to do anything wrong.I took chances back then every day,but I don't do that same kind of work now.I have been very lucky in my life.When I think back over the last fifty years,I know I was not alone.I was being watched over.I am very thankful,and never miss a day saying thank you.

VIP Member
    Just me, but I wouldn't have gone into the parking lot in the first place. You had called the police, let them handle it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Glad you made the right call.

Drunks!

You are both very lucky but the idiot drunk doesn't know it.

I was on call that night with the ambulance service I was working for then.I would have been called if he wrecked and another ambulance was needed.But more to the point,the back up gets the calls that go to the morgue.I did not want that one in any case. The cop asked me what I wanted him to do with him and I said just take him home so he wont drive.That may have been the biggest mistake I made that night.He probably should have gone to jail. But that was 30 years ago,attitudes about a lot of things are different now.

Links