Break in at next door neighbor

This is a discussion on Break in at next door neighbor within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As short as possible, my dog was barking towards neighbors house. I noticed curtain drop back down when I went out to shut her up...odd ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Break in at next door neighbor

Break in at next door neighbor

As short as possible, my dog was barking towards neighbors house. I noticed curtain drop back down when I went out to shut her up...odd since neighbor died 14 months ago and no one lives there.

I go over and knock on door, step to the side with hand at the ready near my hip. Turns out the couple across the street was checking up on the house to make sure the ac was on (Florida).

If I had confronted a BG, would I be wrong to draw on her (don't want to be sexist), if needed? Not my property, and I walked into the situation knowingly. Should I have just minded my business? Neighbors daughters have asked me to "keep an eye" on the place until they list it for sale.

Comments? Suggestions? Flames?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    911 and stay my butt,in my house.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I'd keep an eye on it from my house. I'm not going to get in a shootout over a dead neighbors house. But that's just me.
    afojc, perfection, DUNDEM and 2 others like this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Thanks guys... That's kinda the thought that went through my head about 2 seconds after I knocked. I'm the guy who runs in to burning buildings, climbs into car crashes and breaks up dog fights...thick headed! I blame either my military training or years as an alter boy!

Next time it's 911 from my recliner!
    perfection and niks like this.

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Florida is NOT Texas! In Texas.............. you probably could get off. Not in Florida under current statute. Just sayin.

Agree with stay at home, peep out window and call 911. Only react after that if you see bodily and life at harm.

even maybe go in "Your Own Front Yard" and be peak over... here in GA we don't play superhero...we call the cops and watch from a distance to see whats going on or if assistance is needed...not put yourself in danger by playing POLICE...

...somebody forgot to tell this guy: Rome neighbor stops burglary in progress - CBS Atlanta 46

...AND this one: http://www.easybakegunclub.com/news/...l#.UZcIki0o5LM

...c'mon, y'all admit it...you GA guys love playing Texan...

Quote Originally Posted by DubH00 View Post
    even maybe go in "Your Own Front Yard" and be peak over... here in GA we don't play superhero...we call the cops and watch from a distance to see whats going on or if assistance is needed...not put yourself in danger by playing POLICE...

Legally, you'd be out of your "jurisdiction" so to speak. I would personally call 911 and keep an eye out from my own house (or lawn if it was at a distance).

If you must investigate and do your best to secure the place, you could go over to confront the threat (from outside). Since the owner is... no longer living there... it'd be hard for you to be charged with trespassing. I'm sure if the BG saw you witnessing them and calling the cops, they'd high tail out of there. If they did threaten you, then you could use self defense.

I would avoid going inside, however you could guard the door or window that was used to gain entry. I wouldn't recommend either of these things but if you have to do something, be legally smart about it. The key is when the cops do show up, you don't want to look like the BG (especially while armed).

Distinguished Member
    I agree with all of the above. It isn't your house and you know nobody lives there. 911 and wait it out. There is no reason to engage a BG if he isn't threatening you or your house directly.

...it does vary greatly from state to state...no blanket statements cover it accurately...gotta read and follow the state's laws in which it happens to get the truth...
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalianSteel View Post
    Legally, you'd be out of your "jurisdiction" so to speak. I would personally call 911 and keep an eye out from my own house (or lawn if it was at a distance).

If you must investigate and do your best to secure the place, you could go over to confront the threat (from outside). Since the owner is... no longer living there... it'd be hard for you to be charged with trespassing. I'm sure if the BG saw you witnessing them and calling the cops, they'd high tail out of there. If they did threaten you, then you could use self defense.

I would avoid going inside, however you could guard the door or window that was used to gain entry. I wouldn't recommend either of these things but if you have to do something, be legally smart about it. The key is when the cops do show up, you don't want to look like the BG (especially while armed).

Quote Originally Posted by ANGLICO View Post
    Florida is NOT Texas! In Texas.............. you probably could get off.....
    What ya mean?
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

VIP Member
    When in doubt...call 911. Better safe than sorry!
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

911 and maybe start recording with something.

Quote Originally Posted by ehamill View Post
    my dog was barking towards neighbors house. I noticed curtain drop back down when I went out to shut her up ... neighbor died 14 months ago and no one lives there.
    You knew for a fact that nobody lived there, yet you saw movement at a house that was not yours? Sounds like there's little reason to suspect someone's in dire need of neighbor assistance at that point (as the neighbor doesn't exist anymore), and there's a high likelihood (possibly even near-certainty) the person inside isn't the Avon lady.

It comes to this: are you willing to come under fire/attack for a home without a resident you strongly suspect is being burgled? What are you prepared to lose, up to and including your life?

IMO, that's what the police are for. Situations like this can be deadly, if they turn out to be what they seem.

That said, I'm all for assisting a neighbor in situations where it's clear someone is in dire, life-or-death circumstances, particularly if I strongly believe my direct actions are likely to change things. But in this instance, you knew for a fact that neighbor had died and that nobody lived there. Either someone had every right to be there (such as another neighbor requested by the family to manage the AC) or the 'someone' inside was up to no good. Either way, nobody's life was on the line, there. For myself, that's not a situation where risking my own life makes any sense, being instead the perfect situation for calling the police.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

saa
    Quote Originally Posted by ehamill View Post
    Should I have just minded my business?
    You should have called 911 and reported a possible burglary. You are not LEO!

Here's a hint that many of you, for some reason, don't get: UNLESS YOUR LIFE, OR THE LIFE OF SOMEONE ELSE IS IN IMMEDIATE DANGER - CALL THE POLICE!
    saa.
    ehamill likes this.
    "Every man is my superior in some way, in that I learn of him." - Emerson

"The value of good work lasts far longer than the sting of working for too little money." - Patrick Truillio

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links