Non-Event That Taught Me a BIG Lesson

This is a discussion on Non-Event That Taught Me a BIG Lesson within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened about two months ago. My wife and I were driving home from a trip and got a flat tire in the middle of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Non-Event That Taught Me a BIG Lesson

Non-Event That Taught Me a BIG Lesson

This happened about two months ago.

My wife and I were driving home from a trip and got a flat tire in the middle of the mountains of WV at 3:00 AM. I had just bought this used car a couple of weeks earlier, and discovered that there was no tire iron.

I called AAA and waited for the truck. About 45 minutes later, a tow truck pulls up and two sketchy looking guys get out. They start changing the tire (which I would have done if I had a tire iron). I find out a few minutes into the tire change that they weren't sent by AAA, but just happened to stop to help out. My SA went up more.

Long story short, they changed the tire and went on their way. When I got home and put my P238 away, I discovered that I had been carrying it with the mag partially popped out!!! Don't know when it happened, but I do know that had I had to use my firearm, it would have been good for one shot, then the mag would have dropped into the snow! I felt physically sick when I replayed the scenario in my head.

Now I check every time I put my gun in my pocket to make sure the mag is fully seated.

Edit: Oh, two other things. I went out and got a tire iron. Also, I was very glad to have a flashlight on me.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

2. Remove Ads

Yep always good to have the mag in the pistol. Especially if it doesnt shoot with the mag out since you wouldnt even have the one in the pipe.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    About 45 minutes later, a tow truck pulls up and two sketchy looking guys get out. They start changing the tire (which I would have done if I had a tire iron). I find out a few minutes into the tire change that they weren't sent by AAA, but just happened to stop to help out. My SA went up more.

Long story short, they changed the tire and went on their way.
    - Sounds like the two sketchy looking guys simply turned out to be two good Samaritans. That's the lesson I got out of the story.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I learned from M16's with crappy magazines to slam the mag home as hard as I can every time and most of the time I slam it a second time to be sure. So, I do the same thing with handguns....
    pittypat21 and MasterGadgets like this.

Quasi-related post to your non-event.

Many years ago my brother was on his way home from a fishing trip. His beater broke down on the interstate and he had to walk to the next exit to call for help (before cellphones). When he finally returned to his car all of his fishing gear was gone. Apparently, someone listening to a scanner heard the call out from the dispatcher and knew they had plenty of time before he could get back to swoop in and make off with whatever valuables they could find. That really was the first thing I thought of when I started reading your post.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Will1848 View Post
    I learned from M16's with crappy magazines to slam the mag home as hard as I can every time and most of the time I slam it a second time to be sure. So, I do the same thing with handguns....
    Which leads to more crappy magazines.
    40Bob likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - Sounds like the two sketchy looking guys simply turned out to be two good Samaritans. That's the lesson I got out of the story.
    Yeah; that they were.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

...that's another reason I prefer a revolver as BUG...you can stuff and cram them anywhere and they don't dump the mag, don't come partway open..no matter how strenuous your activity...I've had problems with a Ruger .45 years ago that dumped the mag a lot...had them send me a coupla release button springs and it cured it...but just ONCE could get nasty...especially if you drew and it hit the ground...or mud...glad your checking found the problem before it was a problem...and that there are still some helpful people out there...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    In my more able days, I frequently stopped for stranded vehicles, especially if it was a woman. Can't stand seeing them alone and in a fix. I prefer to assume people are good until proven otherwise. See my signature line.
    thephanatik likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

...yeah, you're probably more the "Chevy Van" kinda guy...
    USM1976 likes this.

I started reading the OP and "Deliverance" flashed into my mind momentarily. It's good to know that a stranded motorist can still find help in the mountains at 3:30 AM. What are the odds?
    Badey likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...yeah, you're probably more the "Chevy Van" kinda guy...
    ?????
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpsufan View Post
    I started reading the OP and "Deliverance" flashed into my mind momentarily. It's good to know that a stranded motorist can still find help in the mountains at 3:30 AM. What are the odds?
    Yeah. I was definitely happy for the help. I am also generally more on my guard when I am in a compromising situation like that. There are good Samaritans and there opportunists. I was glad to get help from the former.
    Snub44 likes this.

...Google the song...I'm surprised you don't remember it...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    ?????

I don't see what good a "tire iron" would have done, but a "LUG WRENCH" would have worked wonders!!!!!!!!!!
    autogateman likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links