Home invasion - what would you grab?

This is a discussion on Home invasion - what would you grab? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a key-only access safe in my bedroom closet that houses all my guns. The safe is always locked but the key is discretely ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Home invasion - what would you grab?

I have a key-only access safe in my bedroom closet that houses all my guns. The safe is always locked but the key is discretely hidden somewhere on my bed. When needed I can get a gun into play from my sleeping spot in 5 seconds. All my handguns are always loaded with 1 in the chamber. I keep my shotgun and AR loaded but unchambered and safeties off.

I've played the home invasion strategy in my head and thru drills several times now and I'm still not sure which of my guns I'd pick if the shtf.

Any of my Glocks or 1911 would be awesome because I'm comfortable with them but they have relatively underpowered handgun ammo. Glock capacity is awesome and the G19 is currently my default choice.

I'd forget about using the LCP. Lol.

The LCR is a revolver so I know it will go bang but I only get 5 rounds. And in 38 special it's still underpowered. I wouldn't try shooting .357 out of a stubby indoors.

Yes I could use my shotgun or AR. But I find them hard to maneuver in tight quarters. I have stairwells and several tighter corners to move around and during my HD drills I always felt better with my handguns. But a nice square shot from 00 buck or a 5.56 will stop the threat cold. I hate shooting my shotgun but it's arguably the most effective tool for HD. Love my AR but it's hard getting around corners even with its carbine length.

So what would you pick during a home invasion and why? I'm still debating right now...

Shotgun. No debate.

I have a walk in closet with no bedrooms opposite the door behind walls. I would have shotgun in hand and AR near me, and point to the door. Anybody that comes in sight gets the artillery.

I wouldn't go sweeping the house looking for trouble.

I dont have a family to be concerned about yet though.

If I did, I would retrieve them and retreat to the closet (safe room). I would probably use a pistol while retrieving for optimal maneuverability.

A lot of this depends on the situation and your personal home layout though.
    Vuva3rae likes this.

I'm grabbing my Mossberg. 8 shots of 00 and a light in the forend. I'm not worried about the size of the gun. I don't plan on searching my house for them, but if they come to my room, I'll be ready.
    Sky Pilot likes this.

If you are moving through the house I'd say hand gun... but if you plan on staying put then I'd go with a long gun.

My dog will most likely bite you, barking and growling, my 9 is next to my head, other weapons close by in strategic places, if that does not work " Lets get ready to Rumble " and you don't want my wife mad at you. She is a very good shot and is Grumpy when she gets woke up ........
    Glock2201 and Smarshe like this.

Have g17 on nightstand, fenix flashlight and glocklight, 500 underbed an little yappy dog that won't let anybody near house without barking, wife keep 642 in nightstand. Keep cell phone in bedroom

AOK
    You can only answer that question. It's not what we think. Which gun can you run and fight with most effectively (ideally to a level of unconscious competence) while you're half asleep, in the dark with an adrenaline dump? Answer that question honestly and your gtg. If you don't like your honest answer then start getting proper training with the firearm you want to run in a home defense situation.
    Sky Pilot likes this.

My cell phone and 9mm are under my pillow. NO fumbling, unlocking or decocking.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by TxTchRR View Post
    Shotgun. No debate.
    AR over a shotgun.

Shotgun does have a lot of good qualities however here is my reasons for selecting AR over a shotgun.

People think you can't miss with a shotgun WRONG!!! Even with 00 buck shotguns don't pattern at door to door distances. People think you can't miss with a shotgun, if you believe that I will take you to the range and show you people misising with a shotgun all day long, anybody who has shot a 3 gun match can tell you this.

1 If you buy into that theory of racking the pump you just gave away a tactical advantage by giving away your posistion.
    2 If you rack a shotgun then you are shooting one less round than you would have so your tactical 9 shot shotgun is down to 8, you just gave up a round,
    3 You are shooting a heavy recoiling, slower loading rifle, while the effects can be devastating from 9 00 buck pellets, your still limited on ammuntion capactiy and you must have the same skill with this gun than you would a rifle. This means you are limited on effective users for that particular gun.
    4. Shooting a pump gun your recoil recover time may be alot slower.
    5. Buckshot can pentrate into multiple rooms .
    6. Slugs can pentrate into a lot of rooms.
    7. A slug ricochet can travel farther than most rifle bullets.
    8. If you use 7.5, 8s, or 9s, your projectiles may not have the energy to reach vital organs.
    9. Slower to reload.

IMHO an M4 style AR is a much better option.

1. 30 Rounds of ammo typically
    2. Light recoil, easyily managed by anybody.
    3. Can purchase balistic type ammo that is very devostating on soft tissue
    4. Very easy to shoot quickly and make very fast follow up shots.
    5. Easy to maneuver inside buildings

Don't forget to add in the adrenaline that will be flowing through body, so I choose ease of hitting and capacity, over energy produced from the shotgun I think the AR is the better option.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Well according to Whoopi the AR is out of the question because you will have plaster going all over the place. I still might consider using it.

Joking aside I don't think you can go wrong with the shotgun. Do you have kids around so keeping a loaded semi with and empty chamber in a nightstand is out of the question? you can grab that and rack the slide in a lot less than 5 seconds. If you want leave them in the safe I might suggest one of the Glocks in a holster on a belt that you can just clip on. That way for a couple more seconds you can be holding a shotgun and have a pistol on your hip.

My sr9c sits right by my head chambered with 17 round mag in my paddle serpa holster that would go strait on my shorts I sleep in. And my Remington 870 is about 2ft away loaded...I do have a family. My room mate thought very well armed in his room is the deepest sleeper ever so I dont think he would be awake so I would need to leave my room to look out for him. My girlfriend would be left with one of my other 9mms and my lever gun. I don't have many long guns and havnt had the money to get he a shotgun yet.

I keep my S&W Bodyguard .38 loaded with Hornady CD in a keypad operated lockbox that's mounted inside my nightstand. I might soon be replacing it with my G19 though (as soon as I can find some hollow points that is).
    Romans 12:21

Sorry duplicated this comment...

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I think you already answered your question, you are just looking for confirmation. You said it yourself. Your handguns are what you are most comfortable with, and you don't like shooting your shotgun. Take what you are most comfortable with. Or go with multiple. Stick an extra handgun in your pocket or holster, or sling the rifle over your back.

Are there others in your family? If yes, take an extra gun on the way to meet them. Unless they are too young of course. But if I had to choose, I like the power and capacity of the AR if I am going up against the unknown. And as much as people talk about how scary the sound of a shotgun racking is, I would say the look of the evil black assault rifle would be equally intimidating. Not that intimidating matters to crackheads.
    DetChris likes this.
    Walk softly ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links