Had to draw and fire to stop a dog attack a few weeks ago.

This is a discussion on Had to draw and fire to stop a dog attack a few weeks ago. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Happened on a bright Saturday afternoon right around the corner from my home as I was walking my dog on a 15 foot reel type ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Had to draw and fire to stop a dog attack a few weeks ago.

Had to draw and fire to stop a dog attack a few weeks ago.

Happened on a bright Saturday afternoon right around the corner from my home as I was walking my dog on a 15 foot reel type leash. As I turn the corner from my house I see a big Alapaha bull mastiff at the back corner of a home 3 doors down As soon as the big bull saw my dog he crouched and like a cat after a mouse began to circle behind some shrubbery as it was stalking my dog. When he got say 20 or so feet away I began SCREAMING HEY at the thing but it was absolutely fixated on my dog. My mutt was oblivious and never saw him till he bounded out from behind a tree he had circled behind and grabbed my mutt by the rear flipped him then grabbed him by the neck. I was carrying a Taurus .380 loaded with Corebond +P 95 grain JHP in a side holster that looks like a PDF case and drew then fired. I was shooting one handed at about 10 feet or so with my dog on the end of one of the reel leashes and the big bull had him by the neck. The first round I placed about an inch or so directly behind the big bulls left front shoulder but it did it not seem to faze the big bull and only shocked him enough for my dog to break free for a second before the bull hit him again. I then fired a second round straight down about 2 inches below the first round and put the big bull down for good! Put both 2 rounds solidly in the big bull and am still in disbelief that the first round + the sound did almost nothing to stop the attack!! My dog had deep bites on his back legs but survived because I was carrying did not panic and trained well enough that I could place my shots well. I have no doubt that had I not been armed here my dog would have been killed and I would have been badly mauled.
    Filed a report and cops were cool as they checked my permit then ran my SN on the TCP.
    With my dog on leash bleeding from bite wounds in the the rear and bull Mastiff slobber covering his entire head and neck area + the big Alapaha being unleashed with no collar and down with 2 bullet wounds there was no doubt in the officers minds what had just gone down. After they ran everything they gave me my pistol back said good shooting and sent me on my way.
    For reference the dog that attacked looked exactly like the one pictured here.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Alap...tm%3B800%3B752

2. Remove Ads

Glad you are okay and that your dog will recover.

Any idea on who the owners of that dog were or was it a stray?

Your poor dog. Good thing you stayed cool and were able to get the job done.

Wow, .380 to center mass and he barely noticed. Really makes you think about "stopping power".

Granted, a dog probably doesn't realized that he's been shot and a person probably would, but I can easily envision a 200 pound enraged or determined human could probably finish what they intended to do before becoming disabled.

Had the same thing happen to me, my dog was a rottweiler though and the attacker was a lab wolf mix...about ripped my dogs butt out and killed our neighbors dog.

I was 40-50ft away and had my glock 17, shot him with 115gr RN...It was about 15 years ago and i've learned alot on defensive rounds.

I shot and hit this dog 6 times in the shoulder.

Congrats on a semi-happy ending. Reminds me of the rules of gunfighting. You got the first one right - Bring a gun. But I might reconsider another important one - Bring enough gun. IMHO, two shots from a .380 acp to stop an aggressing Bull Mastiff isn't something upon which I would take an even-odds gamble. Tell your pup to get well soon.
    mkh and Bad Bob like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Good job shooting! Did the dog's owner ever own up to the incident?

Not doubting you in any way but could have taken a different route after you noticed that dog was acting strangely? I guess there's no real way to know what it was up to.

In any case, well done!

Man sad story glad you and your dog are OK. Glad the Leo was cool. Good job

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I recently read about a guy who shot a pair of pit bulls attacking his horse. He emptied 18 rounds from his Glock into the two dogs before they dropped, coming at him at full bore charge from about 100 yards away where the horse was. I'm not a big .380 fan, but maybe it's time to start considering a .460 Rowland 1911. :)
    carracer likes this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Distinguished Member
    Well, the .380 did get the job done. Shot placement was the key to it's effectiveness. Two shots to stop the threat-pretty good I'd say. Good shooting. I still carry a 9mm or my .45 1911.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar
    Glad you weren't hurt. I love dogs but would've been happy to put a few rounds in the mastiff to protect myself and my dog. Hope your dog recovers fully!
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    We can't assume that a .45 or .357 would have stopped the dog in one shot either.

It's really annoying that we have a caliber debate every chance we get. I'm not a huge fan of .380 but as far as I'm concerned it worked just fine.

No caliber is a magic death ray, and pistols as a whole are not ideal defensive weapons, especially against a massive dog with a taste for blood.
    squid86, darbo, MattInFla and 6 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    We can't assume that a .45 or .357 would have stopped the dog in one shot either.

It's really annoying that we have a caliber debate every chance we get. I'm not a huge fan of .380 but as far as I'm concerned it worked just fine.

No caliber is a magic death ray, and pistols as a whole are not ideal defensive weapons, especially against a massive dog with a taste for blood.
    This. Quite honestly, a full grown bull mastiff in attack mode is a much more potent opponent than a similarly sized human, I'd say that 380 did extremely well considering.

No round guarantees a one shot stop. Some of you seem to underestimate the determination of a large dog in a fight.
    sparkykb and mprp like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    I recently read about a guy who shot a pair of pit bulls attacking his horse. He emptied 18 rounds from his Glock into the two dogs before they dropped, coming at him at full bore charge from about 100 yards away where the horse was. I'm not a big .380 fan, but maybe it's time to start considering a .460 Rowland 1911. :)
    This is why I carry 33 rounds!
    Curzyk and carracer like this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links