I'm amazed people don't learn

This is a discussion on I'm amazed people don't learn within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thought you might all find this story interesting, i feel bad for the man and his family but he went about it this the complete ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm amazed people don't learn

I'm amazed people don't learn

Thought you might all find this story interesting, i feel bad for the man and his family but he went about it this the complete wrong way! What would you have done in this situation?

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=653036

feel free to move this to the tac situation forum, sorry!
    Last edited by yankeeman; November 17th, 2006 at 11:51 AM. Reason: i cant type

2. Remove Ads

Never leave your keys in your vehicle!! I don't care if it is in your own driveway. AaMoF in MD if someone steals your car and the police find out that you had left your keys in it, your gonna get a ticket $fine and 2 points. When will people learn. Glad to hear he will survive is wounds though and I do so hope they find the Punk Shooter!!

MikeV

MikeV +1

It's just common sense, which of course is uncommon.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Lead Moderator
    sheep figure , "it will never happen to me". People need to understand, criminals can be violent. either protect yourself of be a victim.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I like the fact that he gave such a great description.

Punk kid wearing hoodie and jeans. I think I found him, here is his picture:

http://meltingpod.free.fr/wp-content/punk%20boy%202.jpg

As for leaving the keys in the car, yeah dumb, but come on you should be able to leave whatever the hell you want in your own driveway and not have it stolen, keys in it or not. This is America ****** and you shouldn't have your rights violated in any manner even if you want to leave your car on ALL NIGHT with the doors open!

If I go out, start my car, and come back to find a kid in the car, I would have probably confronted him in a similar manner. I would have drug him out of the car kicked him in the butt once and told him to beat it. If he introduced a weapon I don't know what I would have done.

As for MD, if that is a law, that is a dumb law IMHO. That law proves how stupid "the system" is and how stupid some cops are for enforcing it. I can see it now, Police Chief Wiggum shows up at your house because you report your car has been stolen. He questions you and takes out his pad and then writes you a ticket. That is classic! Instead of trying to find your car he is more interested in why you left your keys in it. That could be a whole episode for a sitcom comedy.

People forget about Colonel Christopher Gadsden. I think the people of the US should read their history books and live by his flag's motto. If we did, then people wouldn't be stealing cars and doing stupid stuff.
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

Interestingly enough, there was a shooting last night in Cincinnati that involved similar circumstances, except the 14 year old who was stealing the car tried to run over the vehicles owner, and was shot and killed in the process.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...WS01/311170016
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    Interestingly enough, there was a shooting last night in Cincinnati that involved similar circumstances, except the 14 year old who was stealing the car tried to run over the vehicles owner, and was shot and killed in the process.

That poor child... NOT!
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

Quote Originally Posted by walther1 View Post
    As for MD, if that is a law, that is a dumb law IMHO. That law proves how stupid "the system" is and how stupid some cops are for enforcing it. I can see it now, Police Chief Wiggum shows up at your house because you report your car has been stolen. He questions you and takes out his pad and then writes you a ticket. That is classic! Instead of trying to find your car he is more interested in why you left your keys in it. That could be a whole episode for a sitcom comedy.

People forget about Colonel Christopher Gadsden. I think the people of the US should read their history books and live by his flag's motto. If we did, then people wouldn't be stealing cars and doing stupid stuff.
    I agree, that we SHOULD be able to leave our doors unlocked, etc. If that was the case, none of us would need to carry ANY kind of weapon for self defense.

Also, why is it that people automatically assume that cops have a choice of enforcing only the laws they agree with? I don't like this law, so I will just scratch it out of my book. I think this law should be changed, so I will just make a few changes there. We take an oath to uphold and enforce the laws and protect the citizens, etc. Most hold that oath sacred, and with honor. However, I agree it is a dumb law... if someone is stupid enough, and lacks enough common sense so as to leave their keys in their car, then they probably shouldn't be driving in the first place! You can't legislate common sense, just like you can't teach it in a class. Some people are just not going to "get it".
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    i feel bad for the man
    I'm having a hard time feeling bad for the man. He's triple-stupid!

- He left his vehicle running unattended

- He charged into the passenger side of the car, NOT ARMED himself, and having no idea whether the thief was armed (which of course he was)

- The first thing he told the cops when he called 911 was that someone had stolen his Jeep, and not that he'd been GUT-SHOT?!

This reminds me of a story that proves money doesn't buy brains.
    Here in West Palm Beach just a few weeks ago, police captured a car thief.

Seems a man had left his PORSCHE CAYENNE running at a service station and went in to pay. Homeboy comes along (this is a known bad area of West Palm Beach) and hops into the Porsche, taking off. Oh, did I mention that the guy who owned the car had his GUN under the driver's seat?

Cops chased the guy and he crashed the Porsche ( ) and the gun was recovered. I don't know that there's any basis in Florida for charging the idiot car owner, unfortunately.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by walther1 View Post
    As for leaving the keys in the car, yeah dumb, but come on you should be able to leave whatever the hell you want in your own driveway and not have it stolen, keys in it or not. This is America ****** and you shouldn't have your rights violated in any manner even if you want to leave your car on ALL NIGHT with the doors open!
    Well, if this was Singapore, you could do that.

The difference is, in Singapore, people live in abject fear of the intensely harsh punishments that are meted out for criminal behavior.

OUR country has candy-a** punishment and the criminal element have no fear of it. If they knew they'd be beaten to within an inch of their lives with rattan canes, to where the skin on their backs would split and leave hideous scars, they might try to find a real job and not victimize people.

We will either realize this, or our society will crumble to the ground. And folks, it don't seem like we're realizing this.

I love the comments. Keep them coming! Great discussion.

I agree with upholding the law, but come on, how many cops let people go because of...whatever reason. I jaywalked one time and a cop let me go because he thought it was a waste of time, even though he pulled me aside and told me about it. Cops use discretion like anyone else. That is why WARNINGS are given instead of tickets, at times. It is because cops have discretion and are allowed to use it. If a cop had to make arrests and give tickets for every offense he saw or heard of, it would make for a LONG shift.

Peacefuljeffrey had a good point. We don't have strong enough penalties.

I still think this is America and people shouldn't violate others' rights. It still happens every minute of the day, though, no matter what I think.
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

When I was growing up we did leave our keys in the car and the doors unlocked and still felt safe. We also respected adults and figures of authority; teachers, police, etc. I know we can't put the genie back in the bottle, but I sure do miss those times ...
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

OK. I think we can all agree that what the guy did was tactically dangerous.

But I can't get down on the guy. We're talking about a law abiding citizen who was trying to stop a scum bag from stealing his jeep.

I frequently leave my car warming up in front of my house on cold days. I have extra keys and keep it locked but that's beside the point.

I have thought about not doing this but when I first learned of Maryland's stupid law (I live in Northern Virginia), I decided that I would continue my habid - my little rebelion.

How stupid of the liberals who run Maryland. Car theft is on the rise and we can't stop the bad guys (without supporting the 2nd Amendment) so we will punish the good guys. This smacks of the "don't help a good kid go bad" type of BS.

As for downing the guy for telling the cops his car was stolen before saying he was shot, I imagine that he was a little upset and not thinking clearly. After all, as was pointed out, he was gut shot.

I just hope someone takes the scum bag out before he has another opportunity to kill someone.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post

HEY BAD GUYS! Here's a news flash...

You play - you pay!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Moderator
    OUR country has candy-a** punishment and the criminal element have no fear of it.
    aint that the truth...

I've put people in jail that told me that they not only EAT better in jail, but they SLEEP better too. Some of them only get medical attention when they are in jail. There just isnt much of a punishment there.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links