Unarmed home invasion

Unarmed home invasion

This is a discussion on Unarmed home invasion within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a variation a hypothetical scenario posted a few years ago . A man breaks into your house while you're home. You are also ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Unarmed home invasion

Unarmed home invasion

This is a variation a hypothetical scenario posted a few years ago.

A man breaks into your house while you're home. You are also male, you are not disabled, and he is about your size. You are standing, and you are carrying a concealed pistol. The man runs toward you. As far as you can tell, he is not armed with a lethal weapon.

Assume that you are in Massachusetts, where you are not required to retreat from your own home, but you cannot "use more force to defend [yourself] than [is] reasonably necessary in the circumstances" and you can only use deadly force if you "reasonably and actually believe that [you are] in immediate danger of great bodily harm or death." (See these juror instructions.)

What do you do?

He gets hammered.

And, without any concern over our relative capacities for rendering bodily harm. No time will be wasted in determining whether he is armed or not.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Stop the threat
    ccw9mm and BenGoodLuck like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

no time to do a detailed evaluation of the potential threat level, anybody who violently breaks in and comes at you is intent on doing you great bodily harm. there are lots of stories of unarmed crack and meth heads throwing four or five strong men around like rag dolls. you don't know what chemicals might be running through his veins, so use your weapon to stop the threat.
    maxwell97, GeorgiaDawg and ccw9mm like this.
    "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king."

Quote Originally Posted by Vuva3rae View Post
    A man breaks into your house while you're home. The man runs toward you.
    First question: How can you possibly know the person known to have just committed violent entry into your home and rushing toward you isn't armed or seriously capable of harming you? You can't know this. And the presumption that person won't harm you might well be the last thing you ever do. Are you willing to bet your life on that? Worse, are you willing to bet the lives of your loved ones (in the house) on that??

It's hard not to have a completely reasonable presumption he's there to do me serious violence. Whether it'll end up being deadly upon me will depend on him, alone, whether he instantly stops in his tracks ... 'cause he's going to have my 15+1 rds of 9mm JHP 124gr +P aimed right at his solar plexus in demand he immediately go prone and compliant. Should he continue advancing on me despite that warning, he's being stopped by whatever means is required, no matter what it costs him, even if that kills him.

Presuming the county I live in isn't infested with an anti-liberty DA, once surviving the grilling and possible trial I'd eject from Massachusetts entirely.

But that's just me.

This sort of situation is EXACTLY why we have "castle" protections in many states, fully recognizing that one's home is sacrosanct, and that one must in all rationality presume it's not the Avon Lady whenever violent forcible entry and an onrushing assailant is encountered in one's own home. This isn't a game of Monopoly, here. It's our very lives being threatened. And many people only get one shot at it, defending in such a situation.
    Vuva3rae likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Break out the tea and cookies??
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

...you lost me at Massachussetts...sorry...
    suntzu, NH_Esau, fredg53 and 4 others like this.

Now seeing a weapon and not having a weapon are two different things, and I'm not waiting to see his bag of tricks...he's going to see mine.
    Just 'invading' my home is enough for me to take quick, decisive, and violent action...I'm an old man, and old men can't fight (as effectively as young men)..."So..."
    BenGoodLuck and nontechguy like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

then again, if it happened during breakfast you could draw down on him with a pop tart. he'd be so traumatized the taxpayers would be footing his therapy bills for years.
    "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king."

Must add that it is completely unimaginable for me to assume I would ever reside in Massachusetts.

Love the region. Love the history. Love to visit.

I also love liberty. Massachusetts' citizens are collectively willing to compromise freedom as evidenced by the kind of state government and state laws they are willing to accept along with the peculiar flavor of the politicians they install in office.
    Dsbjax likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I'd definitely shoot. If he's broken into my home, he's already displayed intent to do me violent bodily harm; the fact that he's charging at me only goes to prove that point further.

I'm also not trained in H2H combat and I've really never been in any physical fights, so I doubt I'd be able to just fend off someone that easily without "help" (why I carry a knife and a firearm). If I've got my gun on me, I'd be more worried that he'd try to use it against me. In this case, he picked the wrong house.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

I would call the police. They will come and save me.

Oh wait, no, I'd shoot him.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Turn him into a pencil
    RETSUPT99 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldandInTheWay View Post
    no time to do a detailed evaluation of the potential threat level, anybody who violently breaks in and comes at you is intent on doing you great bodily harm. there are lots of stories of unarmed crack and meth heads throwing four or five strong men around like rag dolls. you don't know what chemicals might be running through his veins, so use your weapon to stop the threat.
    Agreed. It's not an angry altercation at a bar; if he's breaking into the house and attacking, I would assume an intent to cause grievous bodily harm. I'm no lawyer, so take this with a grain of salt.

Ability: here's where the question is. Is he able to cause grievous injury? He appears to be on an equal footing, but maybe he's doped up, trained in hand-to-hand combat, or maybe he's only the first one through the door. You have to make an assumption based on incomplete information. I'd argue that the obvious intent to cause harm implies that at least the attacker BELIEVES he has the ability.
    Opportunity: present, he's obviously there.
    Jeopardy: present, he's obviously attacking.
    Hopyard likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    Break out the tea and cookies??
    The tea was already broken out back in 1773, and the "cookies" broken soon after. Rightfully so.

I suspect a "tea and cookies" deal might be required, again, at some point, to resurrect our liberties. We'll see. In the meantime, resisting violation of our persons needs to continue, via pushing reasonable and valid responses to violent intrusions upon us, including pushing hard to erase the anti-gunner, anti-liberty crap that's got folks all wrapped up in knots.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links