things that go bump... in the morning.. (was i wrong?) - Page 2

things that go bump... in the morning.. (was i wrong?)

This is a discussion on things that go bump... in the morning.. (was i wrong?) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think you did what you think was right at the time. That to me is all that counts. You were the one in that ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I think you did what you think was right at the time. That to me is all that counts. You were the one in that position not us. Always follow your instincts, they are usually the right ones to follow..
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

I don't think you were out of line at all, if anything I probably would have gone slightly farther even. Only a couple of times has something woken me up in the middle of the night, usually it's my pack of little (the biggest is 35#) dogs going nuts over something or someone in the yard. I figure it's better to have and not need, so on these occasions I pick up a handgun or shotgun before going to check on what it is. The gun's pointing at the floor but if I need it I'll have it. So far no big deal, once the burgular alarm went off (apparently due to some sort of error or spike, no disturbances on any of the windows) and once because a distant neighbor's dog got loose at 3am and wondered into our yard.

I don't worry about going too far with this, so long as I'm not threatening anyone. That episode where my burg. alarm went off in the middle of the night? I called 911 and a deputy was out there (covertly) within 2-3 minutes. This happened in 1996. In 1998 after I'd moved out of that place, a female living alone was murdered in that very same apartment complex where I'd been living and had the burg. alarm go off. In her case, a burgular broke in a ground floor window, robbed her and strangled her.

My wife unfortunately tends towards condition white, not b/c she isn't wise to the ways of people, imo more b/c she doesn't appreciate how little or no warning one might have between an ordinary looking situation and fighting for one's life. I like to think that I'm at least in condition yellow at 3am when something goes bump, I'll go back to sleep once we've checked it out and made sure it's truly nothing. The covert home-defense gun at the ready is just part of being in yellow. The person outside (who's staying outside by the way) wanting me to call AAA doesn't need to know I can have the drop on them if I decide I need to.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I tend to agree with Blackeagle on this one. And I am not afraid of answering the door with my gun holstered on my side. Back home many older folks answer there doors at night with there shotgun!
    If your wife is willing to have a revolver in the house at the ready for your defense...amen to you. Let her shoot it until she is comfortable, and knows how to use it, but I wouldn't feel comfortable without her having this defense at home.
    My wife took a while to come around to this idea, but I had to leave town overnight recently, and she asked if 'it' was in the gun vault ready..... oh the joy!!!!
    It is a great time to discuss a home defense plan with your wife and family. it doesn't have to be elaborate, but that 10-15 minutes could save someone's life. the people, firearm, cell phone, and keys to your house on a colorful stick are necessities. A place to have solid cover to watch the door of that room, and you are all set. the personal protection in the home is a great course for this.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Personally I have knocked on doors to get directions , so in one sense i think you are a bit overboard here .. but other parts of you post are good sense , the safe room and a plan are all good . Just remember .. not every stranger who comes to your door means you harm .. be cautious yes .. the same as you would with folks you see in the mall ... turn your house into a fortress ... well you have to live with it . good security can easily become paranoia .. keep a balance . ( whatever that is ) .
    A little paranoia when it comes to personal safety is advisable these days. I also agree that safety can go from something we do for ourselves and loved ones to an obsession. I don't want to be so safe that I can't enjoy my yard because I won't venture into it. If you get a gut feeling than always follow that, but I wouldn't let my fear run me. I answer the door if someone is at it, they are knocking for a reason. Most likely it is not a robbery in progress. When I answer I will be armed and ready. Being ready for and constantly fearing an attacked are two different things entirely. Backup plans are also advisable, but I'm not going to be running drills Three times a week. As Redneck says, there is a balance.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links