The 'Edge' - defensive, offensive superiority

This is a discussion on The 'Edge' - defensive, offensive superiority within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I had to look for one over-riding principle in the area of self-defense, the martial way, and analyzing tactical situations it's trying to acquire ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By razorhead

Thread: The 'Edge' - defensive, offensive superiority

The 'Edge' - defensive, offensive superiority

If I had to look for one over-riding principle in the area of self-defense, the martial way, and analyzing tactical situations it's trying to acquire 'The Edge'.

The edge can be technical, mental, attitudinal, craftiness, relaxation, awareness, tactical, and any of a number of areas.

We only need a slight edge to prevail (i.e. not get killed) in any defensive situation. It's better to have a slight edge and survive than to shoot for a narrow range of high superiority advantages.

One should constantly be looking for ways to acquire an edge that will allow them to prevail in the largest number of situation. It might be avoidance. It might be forward pressure. It might be mobility. It might be working with a partner.

The edge must be practical, easy to deploy, always with you, uncomplicated, efficient, and usually non-attribute based. (By non-attribute based, I mean something even a tactically minded small female can use effectively).

I'll post more on this idea later, but I'd love for people to chime in with discussion, dissent, or whatever.

2. Remove Ads

Josey Wales got an edge by riding up with the sun at his back.
    atctimmy likes this.

I always seek to have an advantage in any encounter. It may be use of cover, it may be aggressive action and it may be having the great big 44.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

VIP Member
    The edge is dynamic. It would change with each encounter and each opponent. To survive we will all need to be well rounded and fluid.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Know what's going on around you. Without that, other edges you may have acquired may never get the chance to present itself.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Know what's going on around you. Without that, other edges you may have acquired may never get the chance to present itself.
    This. If you are caught flat-footed, training and resource advantages are likely irrelevant.
    Currently own: Beretta PX4 9mm, Glock 23 (Gen 4), Glock 19 (Gen 4) x2

Links