The day some thug opened my rear driver side door and grabbed me!

This is a discussion on The day some thug opened my rear driver side door and grabbed me! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This incident occured in February of Last year. City: Los Angeles. Location: Parking lot of a restaurant. I was sitting in my car with this ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: The day some thug opened my rear driver side door and grabbed me!

The day some thug opened my rear driver side door and grabbed me!

This incident occured in February of Last year.

City: Los Angeles.

I was sitting in my car with this chick who had my passenger side front door open, she was on the phone and I told her "Close my door" but she was too busy yapping at the mouth. I never sit anywhere with my seat belt on or with my doors unlocked, but my doors won't lock if one door is open. So if you attempt to lock the doors with one door open, all four doors will unlock until said door is closed and you lock them.

Now I'm backed in and facing the exit of the parking lot (east), I see this man on his cell phone walking north which means he would have to pass in front of my car which he did, but he passed literally about 2 feet from my bumper and turned northwest as if he was just walking by. Then I hear my driver side back door open and the man who just passed by was now in my back seat.

I had a jacket on and he grabbed me on my right shoulder with his right hand, I immediately opened my car door and exited my vehicle while simultaneously getting out of my jacket.

I never took off a article of clothing so fast in my life, I was literally out of my jacket in under a second! lmao.

Now as soon as I took my jacket off, I drew my knife (didn't have my gun) which was at the time a Byrd Cara Cara folder with a 3 7/8" blade. I was able to deploy it faster than I had ever done so in practice, I had practiced drawing the knife until it became muscle memory and automatic. I didn't even think about it and it was out. My grip was the thumbs down grip and I took a fighting/boxing stance with the knife in my right hand.

The thug exits my car with his hands up and I say "WHO ARE YOU!" he replied "It's cool man, I thought you were someone I know" and I said "NO, I'M NOT!" and he disappeared after that just as quickly as he came.

I haven't had communications with the chick since that day.

I don't recall any adrenaline dump and one of my friends asked me "Why you pull the knife, how come you didn't fight him?"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Well both of you are lucky he didn't or couldn't lock that left rear door. That would be one situation where a gun
    would beat a knife. I'm not sure I'd have let him just walk away without some mark to remember me by for life.
    Also, a little something to help the police ID the guy. Both of you got very lucky.

Plan B--- "she's all yours pal, have a good trip." "Take her and that word work around cell phone and get outta here."
    The cars insured. (just kidding)
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Well both of you are lucky he didn't or couldn't lock that left rear door. That would be one situation where a gun
    would beat a knife. I'm not sure I'd have let him just walk away without some mark to remember me by for life.
    Also, a little something to help the police ID the guy. Both of you got very lucky.

Plan B--- "she's all yours pal, have a good trip." "Take her and that word work around cell phone and get outta here."
    If I would have advanced on him I would have proceeded to stab him and not merely cut, we were only around 6-8ft from each other because I had moved out and away from my car.

It sounds like your fast reaction ruined his element of surprise, and like a true coward he wanted nothing to do with a fair fight. How did the friend react after the incident?

VIP Member
    "The Chick?" "Yapping at the mouth?"

What is this, 1956?

Beg pardon, but the way that read I had an image of a choregraphed knife fight ala "West Side Story."

Seriously, sounds like you validated some of your practice and learned a lesson as well. Good news is you emerged unscathed.
    Jaggyd33 and BenGoodLuck like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    "Why you pull the knife, how come you didn't fight him?"

The appropriate answer is "because I had a knife, this idiot made up his mind real quick about whether he would win a fight or not."

Well done buddy, You hit the trifecta of staying alert enough to get out of that situation, making the BG shart himself, and you got home safe and sound. Keep it up.
    Snub44, Aceoky and Wickked like this.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.--->Herbert Spencer

Springfield xd 45, Sig Sauer SP2022(9mm),Remington 700(.308), Yugo M10 variant w/IZH Kobra optic,...and lots of ammo for all of 'em.

VIP Member
    On re-reading this--"Then I hear my driver side back door open and the man who just passed by was now in my back seat.

I had a jacket on and he grabbed me on my right shoulder with his right hand" .....

I realized he would have told the cops he thought he got in a cab , tapped you on the shoulder just to get your attention while he gave the address, and it was all a misunderstanding on your part.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I hate that automatic crap on all these new cars. Mine unlocks all four doors as soon as you put it in park. And like yours, it won't let you lock them if one is open.
    It's a "safety" feature. I say BS on that.
    I went on all of the blogs for my specific car to see if I could change that. Nothing so far.

Maybe it's just as well you don't see her anymore.
    oldnfat likes this.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

I hate that automatic crap on all these new cars. Mine unlocks all four doors as soon as you put it in park. And like yours, it won't let you lock them if one is open.
    Agreed and me too. I automatically hit the lock button as soon as I shift into park, even if I'm only going to sit there a moment.

OP, good on you for your quick reaction.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

Who are you and what have you done with Hopyard?
    Aceoky, mprp, Dandyone and 1 others like this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by nontechguy View Post
    It's a "safety" feature. I say BS on that.
    I went on all of the blogs for my specific car to see if I could change that. Nothing so far.

Maybe it's just as well you don't see her anymore.
    Check your manual. On the Honda, the door lock, unlock sequence, features is all user-configurable. You can set it to not unlock everything when you put it in park.

In addition there's a trick you can use. Pull up to your house and don't put it in park and turn off the ignition. Then when the car is off, put it in park. The doors will stay locked.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExaltedOne View Post
    I had a jacket on and he grabbed me on my right shoulder with his right hand, I immediately opened my car door and exited my vehicle while simultaneously getting out of my jacket.
    Why did you have to take off your jacket?

See my thread about a similar incident with someone opening my car door. The difference in my incident was that the person didn't get into my car and immediately backed off when I yelled. I admire your reaction time and glad it worked out for you.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    Why did you have to take off your jacket?

See my thread about a similar incident with someone opening my car door. The difference in my incident was that the person didn't get into my car and immediately backed off when I yelled. I admire your reaction time and glad it worked out for you.
    because he grabbed my right should er, I left my jacket in the seat. So I assume he had a decent grip on it.

To this day I still don't know how I was able to get out of my jacket so fast.

Good thing he didn't have a partner lurking around, cause I was focused on him and I do believe some one could have blind sided me.

Good that you were cautious about a suspicious person but:
    you should always be armed
    call 911 as soon as the encounter was over
    Caution because he was probably not alone

Dont know how well you knew the chick. But both of em on their cell phones. Sounds like you were gettin set up. Glad you came out ok tho.
    Aceoky likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links