Brandishing an AR-15 in city (maybe airsoft?)

This is a discussion on Brandishing an AR-15 in city (maybe airsoft?) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I have a real part and a hypothetical part to my story. I was driving today, in a not so nice part of town, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Brandishing an AR-15 in city (maybe airsoft?)

So I have a real part and a hypothetical part to my story.

I was driving today, in a not so nice part of town, on a 3 lane, one way road in an urban area. I saw about 5 black males, looked to be teenagers, in a front yard of a house. Mind you, these are not large yards. One of them was holding what appeared to be an AR-15, at hip level sweeping the streets and his cohorts with it. He was not firing, obviously (or I would not be writing this), but there was a magazine that looked like a 9mm magazine.

I was driving by, so obviously I wasn't around long enough to get more than a glimpse. But I still called 911 and reported someone was brandishing an AR-15 looking rifle on their front yard. Gave them description of the person, location, etc. Open carrying a loaded rifle is not legal in my city, and the kid clearly meant to look like he was shooting people.

Now on to the hypothetical part. Say I was walking down the street rather than driving (note, I would not actually walk down the street in this neighborhood). As I'm passing in front of the house, I see the kid with the rifle. You're in the middle of the block so you can run, but there isn't any cover close. What do you do?

I really have no idea what I would have done. In my mind I think I would have drawn and given verbal commands to drop his weapon, but then again he is on personal property. However, I for sure would have felt that my life was in danger.
    Last edited by abigno99; June 12th, 2013 at 09:09 PM.

If he already has the muzzle pointed at you with the intention to shoot, a verbal command and a drawn weapon is inviting trouble IMO. Not sure what I'd do in a situation like that other than to un-ass the area and find cover as soon as possible. Obviously the best solution is to never go on foot into a neighborhood like that if you can help it (I lived in Newport News, so know the situation in places there) and maintain your spidey sense on high if you have to.

Was it an airsoft gun? Lots of teenagers love their airsoft guns.
    blitzburgh and tcox4freedom like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Was it an airsoft gun? Lots of teenagers love their airsoft guns.
    I definitely thought of that. My little brother (14) has an arsenal of airsoft weaponry more impressive than a SEAL team, and they look just as real. I did not see an orange tip on the gun he was holding, but then again many airsoft guns don't have them. Even if it was airsoft, it still is just not a good idea to wave it around in an urban area. I think a "that's a really bad idea" lecture from a cop is still warranted. If you want to play airsoft, do it in your back yard, not on a city street.
    NONAME762 and tcox4freedom like this.

Toying around in a back yard or "safe" zone (ie, the "back 40" property) is one thing. Carousing on the front lawn aiming at others in realistic fashion, particularly with a public street and passing vehicles/pedestrians, though? Bad choices.

I'd do much the same as you: that sort of thing is worthy of a call to police to investigate, IMO. Non-emerg line, if not clearly threatening others. Have only been in a similar situation once, but it was a gaggle of late teen males with one waving around a pistol at passing cars on a busy (but small) street.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Toying around in a back yard or "safe" zone (ie, the "back 40" property) is one thing. Carousing on the front lawn aiming at others in realistic fashion, particularly with a public street and passing vehicles/pedestrians, though? Bad choices.

I'd do much the same as you: that sort of thing is worthy of a call to police to investigate, IMO. Non-emerg line, if not clearly threatening others. Have only been in a similar situation once, but it was a gaggle of late teen males with one waving around a pistol at passing cars on a busy (but small) street.
    Non-emergency? Underage, illegal possession, brandishing, no telling what the intent is. Ability, opportunity, jeopardy
    definitely present.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Non-emergency? Underage, illegal possession, brandishing, not telling what the intent is. Ability, opportunity, jeopardy
    definitely present.
    In the OP's situation, if clearly "only" waving it around at each other in the gaggle on the front lawn, that's one thing. Though, the moment it's witnessed "reaching out" to include passing vehicles or pedestrians? Absolutely.

And, as for unlawful possession: that's only if it's actually a firearm, instead of the very common Airsoft stuff out there. Have seen AS stuff toyed with by folks in yards before. Can be hard to identify as different, if at a glance when zipping by in a car.
    maxwell97 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

After a little more thought, and a conversation with a military family member, we came up with a more reasonable approach to the hypothetical scenario. In this case, as soon as you saw the rifle (or whatever), high tail it out of the situation. Don't draw, give verbal commands, or do anything to draw attention to yourself. However, if shots are fired toward the street or my direction, running to cover isn't the best option so we would return fire.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    So, we've gone from brandishing an AR-15 to well, maybe it was an airsoft?
    blitzburgh likes this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    So, we've gone from brandishing an AR-15 to well, maybe it was an airsoft?
    As I said, there was no orange tip to indicate airsoft. But it's not out of the question. For all intents and purposes, it looked like a real firearm for the 5 seconds I saw it. I'll never know if it was real or not.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by abigno99 View Post
    As I said, there was no orange tip to indicate airsoft. But it's not out of the question. For all intents and purposes, it looked like a real firearm for the 5 seconds I saw it. I'll never know if it was real or not.
    Just trying to keep up and follow the thread, considering the only reason I opened it was because of the thread title. Carry on...
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Let's see...

While driving down the road you notice the following:
    You saw 5 males who were possibly teenagers.
    You mention the color of their skin is "black" (not sure why you include this detail in your story as it is not relevant).
    You see that the males are standing on private property in the small front yard of a home.
    You notice that one of the males is holding a "rifle" which might be an Airsoft or might be an actual firearm.
    You did not observe any shots being fired.
    You see the male holding the object you identify as a "rifle" pointing the "rifle" at various objects and the other 4 males.
    You do not mention any details about how the 4 males reacted when the "rifle" was pointed at them (perhaps they didn't react because they knew there was no reason to react to what the other male was doing because they knew what he was doing posed no danger to them).
    You mention you identified an object as being a magazine...specifically a 9mm magazine yet you give no other details...is it loaded with ammo? Is someone loading it into a gun or holding it or something else? How did you determine the caliber while driving by?
    While driving by you admit you weren't around long enough to get more than a glimpse of all this.
    You mention that "open carrying a loaded rifle is not legal" in your area.
    You do not know if the rifle is loaded or even if it is an actual firearm or just an Airsoft.
    You also do not mention if it is legal in your area to openly display a rifle while standing on private property (this is what you witnessed if it was a firearm and not an Airsoft).

I don't see where the emergency is that warrants calling 911.

As you mentioned, the homes in the neighborhood you were driving through do not have large yards. Did it even dawn on you that the kids in these neighborhoods might actually use their small front yards for playing and hanging out? Playing/hanging out in your yard or your friend's yard is not just reserved for the wealthy with large backyards.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

If you think you should call you should call. Better safe than sorry.

I guess with your hypothetical scenario I'd keep walking the way I was walking and mind my own business; if I was really curious I would shout out to the kid, "Hey! Is that thing real?" If he points it at me then I'd find cover and call the cops...I've walked the streets of the crime areas of Norfolk and most of the people there wouldn't have enough $ to own a real AR15...

What part of Norfolk? I was a FedEx courier all over Norfolk for 5 years...there are definitely some parts of town that I wouldn't purposely go after dark, but I had nothing to fear as a FedEx guy...lots of people wanted their free phones from Obama!

The only bad situation I had in Norfolk was walking back to my truck and there was a kid inside my cab trying to steal a clipboard--I shouted at him and he ran off...walking through some project-like apartments though off of Tidewater and Princess Anne I found a .357 casing in the cracks of the sidewalk and decided then that I wanted a CCW permit to protect myself and my family.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Let's see...

While driving down the road you notice the following:
    You saw 5 males who were possibly teenagers.
    You mention the color of their skin is "black" (not sure why you include this detail in your story as it is not relevant).
    You see that the males are standing on private property in the small front yard of a home.
    You notice that one of the males is holding a "rifle" which might be an Airsoft or might be an actual firearm.
    You did not observe any shots being fired.
    You see the male holding the object you identify as a "rifle" pointing the "rifle" at various objects and the other 4 males.
    You do not mention any details about how the 4 males reacted when the "rifle" was pointed at them (perhaps they didn't react because they knew there was no reason to react to what the other male was doing because they knew what he was doing posed no danger to them).
    You mention you identified an object as being a magazine...specifically a 9mm magazine yet you give no other details...is it loaded with ammo? Is someone loading it into a gun or holding it or something else? How did you determine the caliber while driving by?
    While driving by you admit you weren't around long enough to get more than a glimpse of all this.
    You mention that "open carrying a loaded rifle is not legal" in your area.
    You do not know if the rifle is loaded or even if it is an actual firearm or just an Airsoft.
    You also do not mention if it is legal in your area to openly display a rifle while standing on private property (this is what you witnessed if it was a firearm and not an Airsoft).

I don't see where the emergency is that warrants calling 911.

As you mentioned, the homes in the neighborhood you were driving through do not have large yards. Did it even dawn on you that the kids in these neighborhoods might actually use their small front yards for playing and hanging out? Playing/hanging out in your yard or your friend's yard is not just reserved for the wealthy with large backyards.
    re- Part in Bold: The careless handling, pointing at the others even in jest, is an emergency. If the gun is real, there is
    a significant danger of someone being killed, even if not deliberately so. I call that an emergency.

In my car, I'd do what the OP did, keep driving and maybe use the cell phone for 911. On foot, I'd be out of there
    for sure. I don't want to find out its real by being hit.

I do agree with the guy who commented that in these areas most of the folks can't afford a real one; except--- dealers can.
    ws76133 likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links