Unwanted solicitation or religious groups at my door.

This is a discussion on Unwanted solicitation or religious groups at my door. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Every Monday and Wednesday at about 10:30am I get visitors ringing my bell. Sometimes I'm up and in the bathroom or in bed and I ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: Unwanted solicitation or religious groups at my door.

Every Monday and Wednesday at about 10:30am I get visitors ringing my bell. Sometimes I'm up and in the bathroom or in bed and I do yet want to answer the door. I don't have a perp hole and can't see them when they are there from any window. If there is a car there I can see it. I did open three times. Two religious groups and a seller of solar roofing. I don't want a camera or an intercom. I think a graceful little sigh next to my door would be perfect. I don't want to offend anyone and if it should be that guy who goes around giving folks a million dollars if you are home, but goes to the next home if you aren'.
    May I get from you some suggestions?

How about just "no solicitation"? Depending on the neighborhood, I guess that might be ambiguous.
    tcox4freedom and bigpapa like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

I guess I'd just not answer the door--if it's really important then they will leave a note or call you. And most salesmen don't pay attention to those, "No solicitors" signs anyway.

I don't like offending people either, but *I* am offended by proselytizing religious zealots bothering me at my door trying to convince me to buy into their religion. Likewise, I have grown weary of people trying to get me to donate to their 'cause' by coming to my door. I have my own religion, and I have my own charities which I support. As a result, unless I'm expecting someone, I rarely answer the door any more. It took a while to undo the habit of always responding to the doorbell, but in time I've gotten better at ignoring it.

I think it was "Dear Abby" who used to say, "if you're uninvited and unexpected, you're unwelcome." Seems to fit.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

On a less serious note, just leave copies of American Rifleman and other pro-gun magazines and literature on the front porch!

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Put up a "No Solicitors" sign.

For the religious groups, tell them to put you on a "do not visit" list.

Then, disconnect your doorbell.

VIP Member
    Last time a couple of LDS supporters came by I was in the driveway changing the weather-stripping on a Honda 600, when they asked if I could talk a while I said sure just give me a hand in finishing up and we can talk. Funny thing, they did not have time to help and needed to be moving on.
    Stoveman and perfection like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    If you don't want a camera, not answering the door appears to be the only option outside of not installing a peep hole. Peep holes can be installed in doors that weren't originally made with one. Do you not have one because you don't want one?
    Hoganbeg likes this.

VIP Member
    Come to think of it at the last gun show I saw a sign that read “Every third solicitor will be shot, the second one just left”.
    B_2keys, NONAME762, darbo and 7 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

You really should have a peep hole.

I have found both the Mormons and the Jehovah's Witnesses to be respectful of your wishes if you make them known. I know the Witnesses around here have a "do not visit" list and they adhere to it.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    How about just "no solicitation"? Depending on the neighborhood, I guess that might be ambiguous.
    Church groups are not solicitors, at least according to my town's ordinances. I normally just open the door when they come-a-knocking and let them first meet my 85 pound dog. If they are still near the entrance to my house after I have attempted to drag the dog back into the house, I politely tell them that I am an devote atheist, but normally they are long gone.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

I see no reason to be rude until they know and don't respect my wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    You really should have a peep hole.

I have found both the Mormons and the Jehovah's Witnesses to be respectful of your wishes if you make them known. I know the Witnesses around here have a "do not visit" list and they adhere to it.
    Same story here in my area. I've never in my life encountered a Mormon one, but the JW came here once and when I politely told them I'll agree to disagree and please don't come back - they said nobody from their church would be returning and they were true to their word.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Administrator
    Get some red paint and paint 666 on your door and hang a dead chicken on your doorknob and they won't even bother knocking.

Just put up a sign that says "Dont bother knocking just go away"
    tubadude likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links