One in the Chamber

This is a discussion on One in the Chamber within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Obviously best practice when carrying is keeping one ready in the chamber. My question to everyone is how often do you dechamber that round? And ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: One in the Chamber

One in the Chamber

Obviously best practice when carrying is keeping one ready in the chamber. My question to everyone is how often do you dechamber that round? And when you dechamber round What do you do with round to avoid setback. Do u put it back on top of mag or cycle ammo in mag or what? I've done some studying up on how putting that round back on top of mag and chambering it again and again causes bullet setback. Consequences can be severe and costly.

2. Remove Ads

If I'm shooting that gun, I'll pop out the mag and usually fire off the chambered round.
    If I'm doing a cleaning, I'll eject the round, then when I reload I just use the next one in the mag and top it off with the one that came out of the chamber.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member
    If I need to unload the gun someplace other than the range, the round from the chamber goes to the bottom of the magazine.
    On range day, the I empty the daily carry magazine into a target and when all is said and done, the mag gets loaded with fresh SD ammo.
    Range day comes often enough that my carry ammo never really gets old and any interim unloads never result in any rounds being chambered a third time.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

I leave it loaded all the time when I go to bed I remove the holstered weapon and set it on the night stand for hone defense.

We've talked about this a few times before. There are some really helpful suggestions if you look at some of the old threads.

I take the round out of the chamber when I put mine in the safe. If I'm home it's on me or next to the bed while I'm sleeping. If it's in the safe that means I'm not home and somewhere I can't or won't carry. If it's in the safe, the wife or one of the kids may be going for it in an emergency. They don't train/practice as often or as intensely as I do and I don't want them to have an unintended discharge trying to get it out of the safe (it's the pistol box type with the drawer). They all know that if they go for a gun they'll have to rack a round. I know that handicaps you in an incident, but it's the compromise we came to because of my storage method.

I keep a pair of cheap calipers on the dresser next to the safe, and when I'm loading up I check the top couple of rounds that have been rechambered a few times. Bullet setback from rechambering is somewhat platform dependent, and I've yet to find that it's a problem with my XD9SC using speer gold dot. I still check regularly, though, and use the few rounds that have been rechambered many times each time I go to the range, because someone mentioned before that multiple rechamberings can cause primer damage also.
    "Freedom and discipline have come to be regarded as mutually exclusive, when in fact freedom is not at all the opposite, but the final reward of discipline" - Elisabeth Elliot

"While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then destruction will come upon them suddenly" 1Thess 5:3

VIP Member
    I leave it chambered. It gets shot when I go to the range. I see no logical reason to remove a round from the chamber.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I think setback is a myth on modern working firearms. I've used a micrometer on my chamber rounds where I would chamber and eject the same round often and they were the same OAL as the rest.

I have seen set back so it is no myth. Anyhoo, I shoot my EDC every week and top it off so no issue for me.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by hoghunter84 View Post
    I think setback is a myth on modern working firearms. I've used a micrometer on my chamber rounds where I would chamber and eject the same round often and they were the same OAL as the rest.
    Oh contraire! I ran an "unscientific" experiment a while back, rechambering a reload and two commercial rounds (Speer GD & Win PDX1) 10 times each. The reload setback >.1 inch, as did the Speer Gold Dot. The PDX1 barely budged. The reload I expected some, but the Speer surprised me how much it moved.

The whole question is moot if one stops unchambering every time the gun is unholstered. There's really no need unless the gun is being cleaned or passed over to someone.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Mine usually stays loaded until I go to the range. I always shoot my carry guns as carried when I get to the range.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Generally at the range I shoot less expensive rounds for target/practice. With the exception of the carry round that has been chambered. I am not sure that it makes a heck of a lot of difference one way or another. In Nam in the 60s you fired a lot of .45acp ammo that had been manufactured 15 years earlier or better during WWII. It all worked very well, ammo, if kept correctly will last a very long time, as we all know.

I never encounter this issue or many others as I have gone back to a revolver. A revolver has its own issues I am sure. I was a die hard 1911 man for years. Then went through the Glock/Sig phase. I did have the setback issue with semi auto sometimes. I kept a box in the safe and put the ejected round in it. Loaded a new round. Fired the "used"rounds when I practiced. Pain sort of to do but I always had a fresh out of the box first shot for carry.

If I have to unload like at the range. Ill rotate my mag of sd ammo. Ill put the top round at the bottom so it wont encounter a problem like setback.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GraySkies View Post

I keep a pair of cheap calipers on the dresser next to the safe, and when I'm loading up I check the top couple of rounds that have been rechambered a few times. Bullet setback from rechambering is somewhat platform dependent, and I've yet to find that it's a problem with my XD9SC using speer gold dot. I still check regularly, though, and use the few rounds that have been rechambered many times each time I go to the range, because someone mentioned before that multiple rechamberings can cause primer damage also.
    That's a good approach. Personally I've sometimes set a "fresh" round primer-down on a flat surface next to a rechambered round, and compared height. I know I can see a 0.030" difference pretty easily, so this seems to be sufficient.

I've read that it can be a bigger problem with .40 than 9 or .45, since the cartridge has little empty space to begin with, so setback can drastically increase chamber pressure (which is high to begin with).
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by hoghunter84 View Post
    I've seen it with my own eyes too. A friends mag he unloaded. I told him constant re chambering is not good due to set back. We emptied his mag and lined the rounds up. Sure enough one was visibly alot smaller than the others. We threw it away immediately after I showed him a view YouTube videos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links