Single Stack Handguns....So what's the problem...

This is a discussion on Single Stack Handguns....So what's the problem... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think most would agree that we cc for personal and family safety. I don't think any of us expect to wind up hiding behind ...

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree208Likes

Thread: Single Stack Handguns....So what's the problem...

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar

I think most would agree that we cc for personal and family safety.

I don't think any of us expect to wind up hiding behind the wood pile in a gun fight with the Clanton boys..(I sure hope I don't)...

So what's wrong with a single stack thin as paper easy to conceal 8 9 or 10 round handgun for cc with a secondary mag (not that you would need it).

Why does anyone need 12/15/17 rounds in a handgun.....If SHTF comes you probably are not reaching for a handgun anyway.....

So, how many rounds do you think you need on a day to day SD basis. If more than 10 with an extra mag please explain why.....
    LynnL likes this.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

VIP Member
    I'm not sure how many I'll need but nobody has ever complained about having two or three left over after a gun fight. There are plenty of folks not around today who would love to complain about too few, but they're dead.
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

VIP Member
    I might need one round. I might need five. I might need 30. Then again, I might need none.

Most of the time I carry five in the j-frame + five in a speed strip, but sometimes I carry 14+1 in my CZ.

Why? Because I can.

You want to carry only five, or you want to carry 50+, I don't care. Do what makes you comfortable.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Administrator
    I don't have any issues with single stack magazines at all.
    8 Round 1911 Mag...one in the chamber.

9 Flying Ashtrays or 17 Buzzing Little Bees - choose the poison that suits your fancy.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Mostly carry sp101 or mod 60 an a speed strip never feel under gunned
    GhostMaker and molleur like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    I might need one round. I might need five. I might need 30. Then again, I might need none.

Most of the time I carry five in the j-frame + five in a speed strip, but sometimes I carry 14+1 in my CZ.

Why? Because I can.

You want to carry only five, or you want to carry 50+, I don't care. Do what makes you comfortable.
    The intent of the thread is to see the reasoning behind why people carry the armament that they do..call it "handgun psychic revelations" or whatever..just want to hear
    peoples reasoning...(if they have any) for what they do...Yes you could carry 200 rounds around if you wanted to and it made you feel comfortable...but if you did I would think you expect to be put in or put yourself into a situation you don't need to be in. This is purely a "I'm curious" thread.....nothing personal intended.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Senior Moderator
    No problem.

However....

its better to have too much ammo than not enough...
    Smarshe, OD*, Sarge65 and 3 others like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    The intent of the thread is to see the reasoning behind why people carry the armament that they do..call it "handgun psychic revelations" or whatever..just want to hear
    peoples reasoning...(if they have any) for what they do...Yes you could carry 200 rounds around if you wanted to and it made you feel comfortable...but if you did I would think you expect to be put in or put yourself into a situation you don't need to be in. This is purely a "I'm curious" thread.....nothing personal intended.
    Understand. I've always equated it to risk mitigation. Some people don't carry because they think the likelihood of needing a gun is very small, and they are right. However, I carry in case I need a gun. But I think (hope) five rounds is enough (if not I'm kinda screwed). I have thought about it from time to time, but I always go back to the j-frame as a balance between concealment and capacity. But I will admit, when I have the CZ with 14, it's good to know I'm not limited to five. But I just don't think I'll ever need it. Others might want to minimize their risk by carrying with higher capacities. That's the only reason I can think of....
    dben002 and Phaedrus like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    I think most would agree that we cc for personal and family safety.

I don't think any of us expect to wind up hiding behind the wood pile in a gun fight with the Clanton boys..(I sure hope I don't)...

So what's wrong with a single stack thin as paper easy to conceal 8 9 or 10 round handgun for cc with a secondary mag (not that you would need it).

Why does anyone need 12/15/17 rounds in a handgun.....If SHTF comes you probably are not reaching for a handgun anyway.....

So, how many rounds do you think you need on a day to day SD basis. If more than 10 with an extra mag please explain why.....
    What single stack carries 10 rounds?
    USM1976 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I'm not sure how many I'll need but nobody has ever complained about having two or three left over after a gun fight. There are plenty of folks not around today who would love to complain about too few, but they're dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Understand. I've always equated it to risk mitigation. Some people don't carry because they think the likelihood of needing a gun is very small, and they are right. However, I carry in case I need a gun. But I think (hope) five rounds is enough (if not I'm kinda screwed). I have thought about it from time to time, but I always go back to the j-frame as a balance between concealment and capacity. But I will admit, when I have the CZ with 14, it's good to know I'm not limited to five. But I just don't think I'll ever need it. Others might want to minimize their risk by carrying with higher capacities. That's the only reason I can think of....
    Five rounds to empty is pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Smarshe View Post
    What single stack carries 10 rounds?
    none yet....!!!!!!!!!!!! but................................

I can carry my G27 with 14 rounds as easy as my shield with 8.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

It's just a matter of personal preference and how far people want to take things and where/what you want to compromise - where do you draw the line. A single stack is slimmer than a double stack or revolver and holds (can hold) more rounds than one and less than the other. A double stack isn't much thicker, but when it comes to fit with clothes and body types and hands 10th's of an inch in width/length can really make a difference. Then it may depend on clothes worn at the time. Some don't want to bother with the weight, others are strapping on a holster that can easily support the weight anyway so they figure "why not?"

Ain't it great we have so many choices?
    dben002 and R040607 like this.

For me, if the SHTF, I am reaching for my handgun. It's what I'm proficient with, it's what I'm comfortable with, it's what I know, it's loaded. Hubby can grab the shotgun if he's home and I'm sure a bunch of people will tell me I should use my handgun to fight to my long gun, but truth is I'm comfortable with my handgun and I have yet to ever shoot our long gun so I'm going with what I know. (I made the mistake of watching a YouTube video of women being knocked on their hineys while shooting shotguns right about the time we bought ours, logically I know plenty of women shoot them, but now it's out of my comfort zone and I've refused to try it)

A lot of days I carry my single stack. A good many other days I carry my double stack. I'll carry whichever weapon I can conceal based on what I want to wear. If I can conceal either, I'll go for the double stack. If the double stack prints, I'll grab the single. If I'm home, I open carry, so the double it is. Why do I want 14 rounds available? Why not? I won't sweat carrying 8 but if I have the easy choice I'll take 14. I'd rather have too many & still have some left in the mag than need more. Am I planning on getting in a shootout behind the wood pile? No, but ya never know what life's going to throw at you. That woman in GA shot her intruder 5 times in the face & neck and he was able to try and flee (fleeing is ok with me as long as you're moving away from me) but what if he fought instead? Multiple attackers? Strung out on drugs? Who knows what you'll be faced with. Likely none of it, but we carry anyway, just in case. Not that I carry extra mags, but I do like the old quote about you can only have too much ammo if you're on fire or drowning.

I've got a friend who swears all he needs is his 2 shot derringer. Cool.
    2...5...8...14...20...whatever we're each comfortable with...
    dben002, msgt/ret and R040607 like this.

Once read an article about two troopers who shot a guy 9 times at point-blank range with .357 magnum hollowpoint from their service revolvers. Guy just stood there holding his revolver until a shot went through his head.

Personally I carry a five-shot snub, but I'm under no illusions that it guarantees a stop. No handgun does, no matter how many rounds you have. More just improves your odds.
    Phaedrus, sixgun and ep1953 like this.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links