Defense bullet resistant glass

This is a discussion on Defense bullet resistant glass within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A question about layering several layers of plex-glass or lexan together to provide protection . 2- layers of 3/4" lexan 2 layers of 1/2" lexan ...

Thread: Defense bullet resistant glass

VIP Member

Defense bullet resistant glass

A question about layering several layers of plex-glass or lexan together to provide protection .

2- layers of 3/4" lexan
    2 layers of 1/2" lexan
    For a total of 2-1/2" thick what level of protection does this provide by possible caliber or class .
    The reason i ask is i put this together for our lobby in our office space for some level of security.
    Member of the NRA
    Gun Safety is Life Safety
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine

2. Remove Ads

Why not just buy the bullet-resistant Lexan and be done with it?

The early stuff (c. 1980) came in two thicknesses, 1-1.5 inch thick. Each was 4 layers held together with a semi-permanent adhesive; outer layers were maybe 1/4 inch and inner layers double that.

I worked next door to a plastics distributor back then and heard gunshots one afternoon. They had invited a local cop to fire different rounds at some samples to use for demonstration purposes. At about 5 years, 3 .44 mag slugs on the same quarter-sized target bulged the back side but didn't penetrate. The .38 got maybe halfway through and the .357 magnum was between the .38 and .44 in penetration. They didn't try any rifle rounds.

I seem to recall there was benefit to the specific lamination (layering) process, but I can't tell you today what it was. Do NOT use plexiglas - that's acrylic and will shatter. Lexan is polycarbonate and will be far "stickier" with bullets trying to penetrate.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Ballistic Glass Tests - 9mm +P+, 357 Sig, 40 SW, 45 ACP

Here are the test we did at the PD!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    I seem to recall there was benefit to the specific lamination (layering) process, but I can't tell you today what it was.
    There is a flexible membrane between the panels. It's only visible from the edge of the panel.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Links