Traffic altercations.

This is a discussion on Traffic altercations. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Simply stated I avoid these things like the plague. On several occasions there was no avoiding them. Today was a close one. I was merging ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 102
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: Traffic altercations.

  1. #1
    Member Array PO54yo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    137

    Traffic altercations.

    Simply stated I avoid these things like the plague. On several occasions there was no avoiding them. Today was a close one. I was merging into a single traffic lane when some other driver decided he was going to be a fool and he hit the gas and tried to run me off the road. I kept an eye on him but let it go. He pulled up to my side at a light and I could see he was some punk gang banger with a big mouth. He started calling me every foul name an idiot could think of and flipping me the bird. I had no way to pull up cause we were stopped in traffic, when he put his van in park and started to get out I slipped my truck into neutral and slipped off my seat belt. He had a girl in there with him and she grabbed him and held him in the car. Frankly I think it was one of these "hold me back" macho things. I was coming home from work and I think he saw my uniform shirt and decided to just be an idiot with foul language. Thru the entire incident I never said a word. I just stared at him.

    Trust me, simply staring at a fool like that sends a message that they will probably understand and it might just stop a confrontation.

    Once, many years ago, I was coming home from court in my brand new mustang GT. Some goof, he later confessed, decided he didnt like seeing a young white guy zipping thru his neighborhood in a new sports car so he pulled in front of me and started slamming the brakes on and off, almost causing me to hit him. Eventually he forced me to stop entirely and exited his car with a baseball bat intent on harming me. At the time I was with my former Dept. and I carried a .357 with the real deal loaded in it. As he raised the bat to hit me I saw a young girl in the back seat watching the entire thing. It was the drivers 6yo daughter! Instead of killing the guy I stepped back and fired the only warning shot of my career, back when we could do so. I gave the guy two steps just cause I didnt want to kill him in front of his kid.

    He later confessed to everything. He had an extensive record of this kinda nonsense. What kind of pisses me off is what would have happened had it not been an armed PO these kind of goofs were messing with. To this day I have a hard time understanding how anyone could pull such a stunt with their 6yo kid in the car.

    We have some real time bombs out on these roads and its really important we protect ourselves from them. Both physically and legally. Its important to keep your cool, preferably dont even talk. There will probably be witnesses, the kind you want backing you. Believe me had I had to use force against this guy today everything I did would be under a microscope. But had I had to do so I wouldnt have hesitated.

    Traffic altercations? They are the worst and it only takes one idiot to start one. Best to be fore-armed with both training and knowledge. Best to just avoid them.
    "America is held together by one piece of paper"

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member Array rammerjammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Posts
    3,358
    As concealed carriers it is our duty to deescalate situations, be the bigger man and walk away when possible.

    Since I have started carrying I have certainly calmed down on the road. Not long ago I had a teen punk and what I assume was his girlfriend yell at me and be confrontational when he was completely in the wrong. There may be an urge to draw on the punk to scare the crap out of him but as the bigger man with more to lose, I drove away. I woulda loved to see this punk piss his pants in front of his girlfriend trying to be the bigger man.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

    Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

  4. #3
    VIP Member Array paaiyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,071
    Around where I live, it's all I can do to keep people from smashing into me and to keep from smashing into idiots who don't know how to yield. I almost thought someone was going to hit me on purpose a few weeks ago, but I luckily avoided it. My wife and I were both carrying and our German Shepherd was in the back seat, but still, better avoided.

    And never forget, unless legally obligated to stay or circumstances physically prevent you from doing so, in most cases your best option is to simply drive away.
    My blog

    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

  5. #4
    VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    2,171
    Normally I am very calm on the road but last year I kind of lost my cool, good for me the guy wasn't carrying and was to shocked to react.

    So this is after we had been evacuated for weeks due to the Waldo Canyon fire here in Colorado. We were still in Red Flag warnings for fire dangers. I am right behind a car as we pull up to a light that had just turned red, I see him throw a cig out of the window into the grass next to the road. Well I just lost my mind. I get out of my car, pick up the cig, and knock on his window. He rolls it down and I say "You dropped something" and toss the cig into his car. I walk back to my car, and right after I get in the light turns green, I drive around him and drive off. Not really the smartest thing I have ever done.

  6. #5
    Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic
    Posts
    1,336
    Uh, unfortunately no sympathy for the OP. Why? He's not telling the whole story.
    jhogan2424 and Dan060 like this.

  7. #6
    Senior Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,067
    I believe all the highway yield signs should be changed to read; "Y'all Be Careful Now".
    NONAME762 likes this.

  8. #7
    VIP Member Array paaiyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,071
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldpsufan View Post
    I believe all the highway yield signs should be changed to read; "Y'all Be Careful Now".
    Personally I prefer "Everyone else is more important than you for the next 300 yards."
    NONAME762 likes this.
    My blog

    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

  9. #8
    Ex Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    6,960
    Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    Normally I am very calm on the road but last year I kind of lost my cool, good for me the guy wasn't carrying and was to shocked to react.

    So this is after we had been evacuated for weeks due to the Waldo Canyon fire here in Colorado. We were still in Red Flag warnings for fire dangers. I am right behind a car as we pull up to a light that had just turned red, I see him throw a cig out of the window into the grass next to the road. Well I just lost my mind. I get out of my car, pick up the cig, and knock on his window. He rolls it down and I say "You dropped something" and toss the cig into his car. I walk back to my car, and right after I get in the light turns green, I drive around him and drive off. Not really the smartest thing I have ever done.
    In my neck of the woods that would have earned a beat down. Right or wrong.....
    blitzburgh and Dan060 like this.

  10. #9
    Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,153
    Drive off if you can and avoid the whole thing.

    Let stupid people continue to be stupid people and eventually stupid things will happen to them. No point in getting dragged down with them when it can be avoided.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

    “The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

  11. #10
    Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Dayton Ohio
    Posts
    1,369
    i was going through a drive through and some guy driving a box truck almost backed into me, while i was completely stopped and waiting in line. he started screaming at me, guess he thought that i intentionally pulled up behind him, but really he just couldn't see my tiny car that had been there the whole time. i was starving and not in a good mood so i simply replied "it would of been your fault" and looked away. he got out of the truck an walked to my window, telling me that he was gonna "take me back to the back of the building and break my arm" i just smiled. he leaned closer to try and reach into my window and saw my hand grasping my holstered gun. he walked away mumbling gibberish to him self. i called the "how`s my driving " line on his truck and told his supervisor that their employee sucked at driving and threatened me with violence. never heard back from MGMT.

    another time also sitting in a Mc D drive through, just waiting. some punk kid and his girl flicked me off for no reason, i ignored them. upset at not getting any response he started to approach my window. same result, walked away yelling nonsense after he saw my hand on my holstered gun.

    is there something about people at Mc D drive trough that i don't know about? wish i had mace both times. had cars in front and behind me both times. broad daylight, with a bunch of people around watching.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

  12. #11
    Ex Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    6,960
    Quote Originally Posted by technomonster View Post
    i was going through a drive through and some guy driving a box truck almost backed into me, while i was completely stopped and waiting in line. he started screaming at me, guess he thought that i intentionally pulled up behind him, but really he just couldn't see my tiny car that had been there the whole time. i was starving and not in a good mood so i simply replied "it would of been your fault" and looked away. he got out of the truck an walked to my window, telling me that he was gonna "take me back to the back of the building and break my arm" i just smiled. he leaned closer to try and reach into my window and saw my hand grasping my holstered gun. he walked away mumbling gibberish to him self. i called the "how`s my driving " line on his truck and told his supervisor that their employee sucked at driving and threatened me with violence. never heard back from MGMT.

    another time also sitting in a Mc D drive through, just waiting. some punk kid and his girl flicked me off for no reason, i ignored them. upset at not getting any response he started to approach my window. same result, walked away yelling nonsense after he saw my hand on my holstered gun.

    is there something about people at Mc D drive trough that i don't know about? wish i had mace both times. had cars in front and behind me both times. broad daylight, with a bunch of people around watching.
    I assume that you called the PD and reported both incidents, just to cover yourself from a brandishing charge??

  13. #12
    VIP Member Array paaiyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,071
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I assume that you called the PD and reported both incidents, just to cover yourself from a brandishing charge??
    Betting not. In my opinion, any altercation, confrontation, argument, fight, scuffle etc. that involves your concealed firearm being shown, your hand going to your gun, your gun clearing the holster or any such activity should involve a call to the police.
    My blog

    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

  14. #13
    VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    2,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    In my neck of the woods that would have earned a beat down. Right or wrong.....
    On that day I think I would have been okay with him getting out of the car and trying for the beat down. What I should have done was taken a picture of his license plate and him and called the police and got him the 5k fine that goes with throwing a cig out on a high fire danger day, but sometimes we don't do the "best" thing.
    jhogan2424 likes this.

  15. #14
    VIP Member Array Easy8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    N FT Myers, FL
    Posts
    2,612
    Alright I have the best Mcdonalds story. I was hot an tired not in best mood wife was talking to me but I wasnt listening, I asked her what she wanted an leaned out the window an started ordering my wife started laughing an talking while I was trying to order she was laughing so hard I could not understand her than I looked in my rearview mirror the people in back of me were laughing, my wife had tears in her eyes and I said what the heck you doing I am trying to order she said your talking to the garbage can I pulled up an ordered a little red faced.

  16. #15
    Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Dayton Ohio
    Posts
    1,369
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Betting not. In my opinion, any altercation, confrontation, argument, fight, scuffle etc. that involves your concealed firearm being shown, your hand going to your gun, your gun clearing the holster or any such activity should involve a call to the police.
    sure didn't, they walked away and i drove off. i don't think the law in my state requires that i report. i can see why it would be a good idea to have my side of the story heard first but i simply did not have time for that.

    now if i had drawn and pointed my pistol i prob would have reported it but that was not the case.
    jhogan2424 likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

a car is never considered a weapon in traffic altercations
,

a vehicle is never considered a weapon in traffic altercations

,
colorado springs man shot teen after traffic altercation
,
is a vehicle considered a wespon in a traffic altercation
,
slob shirt june 2013
,
someone wants to shoot you on traffic altercation
Click on a term to search for related topics.