Minor threat? what would you have done?

Minor threat? what would you have done?

This is a discussion on Minor threat? what would you have done? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; walking at night downtown Dayton yesterday, in the Oregon district. had a cigarette in my mouth while crossing a parking lot i spot two men ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Minor threat? what would you have done?

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar

Question Minor threat? what would you have done?

walking at night downtown Dayton yesterday, in the Oregon district. had a cigarette in my mouth while crossing a parking lot i spot two men sitting in a beat up old car. both men gets out, both were wearing really baggy cloths and kept one hand hidden. perhaps they were hiding something, perhaps just habitually grabbing his crotch. i cant tell.
    the smaller one approaches me and asked for a smoke.

bummed this one my self, i replied.
    can i have it then ? the man asked. (who does that ?)
    NO. while i continued to walk away.
    can i get the second half? (really?)
    NO, leave me alone, i said
    he picks up pace and gets closer, this is when i turned around and with a stern voice STOP FOLLOWING ME! (he does not)
    i point at him and demanded STOP FOLLOWING ME ! this time even louder.
    the man said: im not following you man. and then mumbled some illegible gibberish. i heard "next time i see you down here" somewhere in the mumbling. which i took for a verbal threat.

i was only a few yards from the main strip now, well lit with lot of people so i picked up pace and got in to public view. the man stops as he found some other people to harass. looking in my direction. i avoid looking at him directly but i made sure i knew where he was, a van pulls up and he speaks to the driver and i could see the occupants turn and look in my direction. nothing happens. a police cruiser drives by slowly and checks out the van that was stopped in the middle of the street, the man wanders off and the van leaves. as the cruiser circles around the block again this time stooping and parking at the entrance of the ally. the rest of the night was less then eventful and i got home without seeing the guy, his buddy or their car again.

i could of given him a smoke but i did not like the way he approached me, or the way he looked (i know, i know, don't judge people by their appearance) or where we were standing. and i did not want to get close enough to hand him a smoke. arms reach is too close for me.

what would you have done? said differently? was the guy just an annoying bum? was he sizing me up to jump me? what do you guys(and girls) think?
    i`m not a big guy and i don't look very intimidating.

at my disposal was : harsh words, mace, flash light 500 lums, cell phone and a gun full of bullets.
    Last edited by technomonster; June 20th, 2013 at 11:25 PM.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

You are wrong when you wrote to not judge people by their personal appearance. We all do it everyday. We make judgment calls all the time, but our PC culture tries to tell us not to do when in terms of situational awareness and other matters it is exactly what you should do. Don't take this too poorly but right now I am making a judgment call about you based solely on your grammar and composition.

Sounds like you did well in the situation. At least you didn't have to defend yourself but sometimes waiting for the attack is exactly what gets you into a bind. I don't advocate drawing on every jerk trying to bum a smoke or being a jerk in general. But if you wait too long you could become a victim because you held off too long to make a judgment call.
    StormRhydr, USM1976 and RichB70 like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Before he got a word out of his mouth, Id have been saying, in command voice, "NO THANK YOU!", doing some pivot away, and looking over my shoulder as well, as I continued on my way. Why? Because that is what I was trained to do.

Command voice does wonders, btw.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Asking for a smoke could have been his way of trying to distract you to get the jump on you. Who knows? You did right in getting to a well-lit and populated area.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    'Just for future reference, miners dig holes. Your subject line had a minor spelling error.
    ninjahippie, wmhawth and OldVet like this.

I would not be in that neighborhood
    Bad Bob and FlaRon like this.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    It appears you turned your back on him (...continued to walk away). I would have palmed the tac-light at this point and J-hooked away from him. Get out your digital camera and get a pic of the license plate. When he escalated to the threat, you should have had the cop come over and told him what happened, reference your camera and tell him the license plate. He might do nothing, but it's one complaint. You would have possibly lead to someone not being mugged.

Generally, though it was a non-incident, and there was an opportunity to learn. Oh, I might have said 'yeah, here' and flicked the butt about ten feet away. After all one smoke. It's like, what 35 cents? Glad nothing happened.
    StormRhydr likes this.

This is where posturing and voice becomes a useful tool. A small man can look and sound meaner than he actually is. I had a similar situation happen at a park one time. This was before I was old enough to carry. All I had was a knife, flashlight, and two fists. I postured up and lowered the tone of my voice and he immediately slowed his role. He didn't leave but it definitely made him think twice. I didn't have the option of escape so I stood my ground and didn't let him get behind me. Luckily he was alone. I had my hand on my knife and made sure he could see it. He finally left me alone but that day I vowed to carry ASAP.
    StormRhydr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    You are wrong when you wrote to not judge people by their personal appearance. We all do it everyday. We make judgment calls all the time, but our PC culture tries to tell us not to do when in terms of situational awareness and other matters it is exactly what you should do. Don't take this too poorly but right now I am making a judgment call about you based solely on your grammar and composition.

Sounds like you did well in the situation. At least you didn't have to defend yourself but sometimes waiting for the attack is exactly what gets you into a bind. I don't advocate drawing on every jerk trying to bum a smoke or being a jerk in general. But if you wait too long you could become a victim because you held off too long to make a judgment call.
    that's what my mother always said, you can tell lot just from first impression. but i think there is a fine line between assessment and judgment and the line shifts form person to person, time to time and different settings. i would not have been as alarmed had he not approached me in a parking lot.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    'Just for future reference, miners dig holes. Your subject line had a minor spelling error.
    noted and thanks, the title cannot be edited it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by technomonster View Post
    that's what my mother always said, you can tell lot just from first impression. but i think there is a fine line between assessment and judgment and the line shits form person to person, time to time and different settings. i would not have been as alarmed had he not approached me in a parking lot.
    Minor ....actually major.... spelling problem here friend.
    WHEC724 likes this.

Is this a spelling bee or a gun forum? Just askin....

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    It appears you turned your back on him (...continued to walk away). I would have palmed the tac-light at this point and J-hooked away from him. Get out your digital camera and get a pic of the license plate. When he escalated to the threat, you should have had the cop come over and told him what happened, reference your camera and tell him the license plate. He might do nothing, but it's one complaint. You would have possibly lead to someone not being mugged.

Generally, though it was a non-incident, and there was an opportunity to learn. Oh, I might have said 'yeah, here' and flicked the butt about ten feet away. After all one smoke. It's like, what 35 cents? Glad nothing happened.
    IMO, that'd be escalating the situation since I'm pretty sure he wouldn't take that in a very nice way..
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Toss out the politically correct self-criticism about pre-judging people!!!

Trust your first impression and keep your situational awareness on all of the time.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarksmanCentral View Post
    This is where posturing and voice becomes a useful tool. A small man can look and sound meaner than he actually is. .
    Some of the small men I've know were a lot meaner than they looked or sounded.

Give up the smokes and he'd have no reason to approach other than to cause trouble.

And while we're on the "miner' & minor debate, "illegible gibberish" would be "unreadable."
    Hopyard, WHEC724 and tundra like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links