Possibly threatened outside a gunstore

This is a discussion on Possibly threatened outside a gunstore within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As ridiculous as this sounds, several weeks ago I was threatened outside of my LGS. I had just picked up an FFL transfer and was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Possibly threatened outside a gunstore

As ridiculous as this sounds, several weeks ago I was threatened outside of my LGS. I had just picked up an FFL transfer and was walking out- with a hand gun IN MY HAND when a local gentleman approached me. He was wearing all black baggy clothes and looked a little homeless. He asked for change and when I said I didnít carry cash, he placed his hand into his pocket.

Mind you, we are literally 5 feet from the store entrance and I have a hand gun in my hand (it was in a case). At this point my red flag goes up and I place my hand in my shorts pocket and grasped the handle of my snub nose. He starts to pull his hand out and says something like, "Are you sure?". I think he may have had something, no idea what. I glared at him and said very firmly, "No, I donít carry cash."

I think he got the memo at that point because he apologized and I walked away, keeping an eye on him using the reflection in the stores glass window. I got it my car and drove the heck off. I called the store and told him that a person was begging for money out front and the lady didnít seem surprised at all. Havenít seen him since, hope I donít have to.
    Μολὼν λάβε

There's a store here that has a digital sign out front that scrolls whatever deals they're running. One day there was someone holding a sign boycotting the store. Looking up at the sign it said basically " the man standing under this sign was caught scamming our patrons". He had previously been arrested when he was asking customers for money so he could get a bus to see his sick wife

I always do my best to not even stop and allow the question to be uttered, and kudos to you for the pocket pistol; folks never know how viable they are until being in a situation like you experienced.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Ė Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Ė Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    One of my fave LGS is also a pawn shop, A&D in Glen Burnie, Welder probably knows it. It's not in the worst section of town but is located next door to a tattoo parlor and a car stereo installation shop.

A couple of weeks ago when Mrs. Stove and I picked up her new Smith there were several young men hanging out outside, sitting on their cars, etc... I was on red alert since we were walking out with an unloaded gun. Mrs. Stove was a little unnerved and could not get in the truck fast enough.

None of them approached us or said anything, but I was glad to get away from that situation.
    darbo and welder516 like this.

VIP Member
    Yes , Stove know where it is . I have not been in that store but i will stop in since you bring it up . I have never had anyone scary approach me , i'm the one that scares people not on purpose just the face.
    ppkheat likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member
    Their stock is starting to come back, just like all the others. They had a ton of AR's the other day.

Good guys on the gun side, the pawn side guy is kind of a douche.

I like supporting them vs Bass Pro.

I'm curious as to what "a little homeless" means...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Perhaps the OP meant to say "looked a little like he was homeless".

Or perhaps the possible perp was short in stature....
    Brad426 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Or "scruffy"

VIP Member
    Maybe he lives in a tent
    Brad426 likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Glad all went ok. I had a situation like that a while back. A guy started to approach the wife and I. And her SA was on higher alert than mine we just left Mcdonalds and she seen him coming at us he was bugging other people and she said hurry get in the car and lets get outta here. So we did. He was headed for us and then turned around and went the other way. Stay safe and carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post

If the situation had taken a serious downturn,
    he could have shot the guy "just a little bit"
    southernwi, ppkheat and Brad426 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    A 1 bedroom box, instead of 2?
    gottabkiddin and Badey like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

GH
    A 1 bedroom box with a nice view.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Tactical Response teaches its students to use command voice, (in such situations), and say "NO THANK YOU!" when approached by someone you dont like the looks of. There is more to it than that, of course, but its enough to get the point across in this situation.

The logic isthat its non offensive. Its not an insult, or a taunt, so you dont cause a bad guy to lose face in front of his fellows, it confuses someone bent on doing you ill, and it should also make them think twice about you as a victim. Lastly, if you have to draw, and fire, you WILL yell something, and "NO THANK YOU!" sure beats yelling "Die ____ _____, Die!".
    wmhawth and gottabkiddin like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links