More Realistic Mall Shooter Scenario

This is a discussion on More Realistic Mall Shooter Scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We have all read the many “mall shooter” scenarios that have popped up here now and then. The solutions to this scenario usually gets reduced ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: More Realistic Mall Shooter Scenario

More Realistic Mall Shooter Scenario

We have all read the many “mall shooter” scenarios that have popped up here now and then. The solutions to this scenario usually gets reduced to a couple options:
    - Grab gun and family and head in the opposite direction
    - Grab gun and head to shooter hoping to take action to stop the shooter

Now allow me to offer a more realistic “mall shooter” scenario and ask how you would respond.
    This scenario matches our typical mall visit.

People:
    Family: Mom, dad, 13 y/o daughter, 9 y/o daughter
    Other: 13 y/o girl who is friend of 13 y/o daughter

Situation
    Family + friend arrives at the mall and the group breaks up into 3 smaller groups:
    - Two 13 y/o (with two cell phones) head off to shop at the teen clothing stores
    - Mom (with cell phone) and 9 y/o head to JC Penny’s to look at kid clothes
    - Dad (with cell phone) heads to Barnes & Noble or Starbucks to avoid having to endure shopping for clothes with teen/pre-teen girls.

Everyone stays in touch using cellphone messaging.

So now you, the only armed person in the group, is at one end of the mall and you hear gunshots coming from another section of the mall. Last you knew, at least one of your groups is in that general direction, or on the other side of where the shooting is taking place.

What do you do?

Bill
    Somewhere in the Pacific NW

2. Remove Ads

Dial 9/11, tell them exactly what I am wearing, and a description of myself, from where I think the shots were coming from, that Im going after my family. Hang up. Contact family via text, tell them to find hidden, defensive position, let me know where. Put my phone on vibrate, tell them to do same. I expect I would, after they go to a hidden position, relay intel as well.

Find family, if possible, and get out. Shoot anyone who needs shooting, if it comes down to that.
    BlueHawk76 and perfection like this.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    I don't allow my family to get separated at the mall so the decision with my family becomes easy, we head for the nearest exit opposite of the shooting. If I were to be alone, I would head to the shooting in hope of being able to do something to stop the shooter. In my world, it is family, friends, community, country, so if the family is safe, it is time to go help others.

Basically you have a 'rendezvous point'. 'If something starts to happen, go for the nearest exit into the parking lot and get to the (insert easily identifiable landmark) and Dad will go to the car and pick us up.

Or something like that. The idea is to get out of the Mall and for the closest parent to the car to pick everyone up.

However, this illustrates why both partners should be carrying. One guy or gal with a gun is not enough. People here talk about giving your partner your BUG in the event of a problem (which isn't a bad plan). If the Dad in this scenario is the only one carrying, and he can't be everywhere at once, he's going to be very nervous. But if he knows Mom is also able to defend herself (not saying they should go 'hunting BGs'), then you can defend in place, find a service tunnel, one parent gather the girls, the other get the car and then rendezvous and evacuate.

Bear in mind that defending in place if you have a fairly secure hideaway (service tunnel) is less of an exposure than going outside.

Also bear in mind that if you have a firearm, KEEP IT HOLSTERED. You do not want to be mistaken for the BG.

Good topic! HTH

VIP Member
    I'm fifty-seven, and live with my wife. Your "more realistic" scenario bears no resemblance to anything I will ever encounter.
    9MMare, JJVP, Ghost1958 and 2 others like this.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I never go to a mall, so I got nothing
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I'm fifty-seven, and live with my wife. Your "more realistic" scenario bears no resemblance to anything I will ever encounter.
    I'm 56 with a wife and a 9 y/o and a 13 y/o and this scenario is extremely realistic for me and most people who have teenage kids. . .

But since it doesn't apply to you I guess we should all stop discussing it and delete the thread. . . .
    Somewhere in the Pacific NW

The scenario presented doesn't resemble my life (no wife/kids) but if it did they should all know to get away from the sound of gun fire and get the heck out as fast as possible whichever direction that may be, regular mall entrance, hallway to mall storage etc.

In no way should you Rambo up and go in search of your family or the problem. Your CCW and gun don't make you a cop.
    BadgerJ likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I remember a mall shooting at the crossroads mall in Omaha. A former classmate of mine was lucky. He only got shot in the arm that day.

Let me tell you something, Jammer; I wont wait till the shooter runs dry of ammo, while the police wait outside. We have seen what that leads to.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    The scenario presented doesn't resemble my life (no wife/kids) but if it did they should all know to get away from the sound of gun fire and get the heck out as fast as possible whichever direction that may be, regular mall entrance, hallway to mall storage etc.

In no way should you Rambo up and go in search of your family or the problem. Your CCW and gun don't make you a cop.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bcvojak View Post
    I'm 56 with a wife and a 9 y/o and a 13 y/o and this scenario is extremely realistic for me and most people who have teenage kids. . .

But since it doesn't apply to you I guess we should all stop discussing it and delete the thread. . . .
    No, if you want to talk about active shooter scenarios, cool. We can talk about the eight people/minute he is going to kill until stopped, how to get to him through the crowd running away from him, how to keep from shooting bystanders, etc, whatever you want to talk about.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post

That is one approach, I suppose. Not the route I would take, but one approach.
    atctimmy likes this.

VIP Member
    My closest mall is the Augusta GA mall. It is not a safe place. We avoid it, and stick together as a family when we have to go.

Your scenario does not play out well, which is why I work to avoid it.

Although all my kids are grown and gone... I have been there so I'll participate. I have talked about this kind of a thing happening with the family. Maybe not just a shooting but a power outage, or other emergency. Unless it's a weather emergency we'll meet at the car. I would call the girls first, and get their location, and proximity to the shooting. I'll either direct them to leave via an emergency exit, or to hunker down in place depending on what I'm hearing from them. Next call to wife with similar sit-rep. Same instructions bug out through an emergency exit, or hunker down. Both will have standing instructions to call me every 15 minutes if possible. what ever group is in the most danger is who I'm going for. Or if in equal danger I'll go for the closest first.

In florida we have a lot of water. I'd instruct them change of plan and to meet at the canal behind/next to/ or near the mall. Standing instructions get to a body of water ASAP. Being the person I am once I know my family is safe I'd probably work at helping others escape... If I came across a/the shooter I'd take my best shot. And I am a good shot.
    Last edited by Secret Spuk; June 26th, 2013 at 08:14 PM.
    BadgerJ, bcvojak, Bill MO and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    I don't allow my family to get separated at the mall so the decision with my family becomes easy, we head for the nearest exit opposite of the shooting. If I were to be alone, I would head to the shooting in hope of being able to do something to stop the shooter. In my world, it is family, friends, community, country, so if the family is safe, it is time to go help others.
    You're a Law Enforcement Officer?
    perfection likes this.

I keep the Wife/Kids with me at the mall.

If someone starts shooting and it is not directly impacting my family or happening right in front of me we would find the nearest exit and call 911. (I'm not crazy or a cop. I don't run towards gunshots.)

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links