Happened to me in parking lot.

This is a discussion on Happened to me in parking lot. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened a couple of weeks ago. I didn't post about it due to legal proceedings and didn't want to complicate that in any way. ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Happened to me in parking lot.

VIP Member

This happened a couple of weeks ago. I didn't post about it due to legal proceedings and didn't want to complicate that in any way. Today I learned a plea deal has been reached (shocked how quickly that happened really) so I figure I can share.

I'd been shopping in one of our local big box stores. It was about 2:00 AM (shift work does silly things to your habits) and not many people were in the store. I did as I always do at night and parked directly under a light in the parking lot, locked the car, and went shopping. I came out and began putting the products into the back of my vehicle. Someone approached from the rear and I turned to face them. While he was still a good distance away I asked him what he needed. He didn't answer and continued coming towards me. At this point I told him to stop and not come any closer. (He was probably about 10 yards away at this point.) He turned and took a couple of steps away and then turned back closing the distance quickly with a revolver in his hands. Instinct told me I wasn't going to outdraw the gun in his hand so I prepared for a fight. He got to within about 5 feet and told me to give him my wallet. I reached into my pocket and pulled my wallet out. He seemed to relax and stepped in closer in order to get the wallet. At that point I was able to reach his gun and was able to disarm him without too much difficulty. He attempted to run but I was able to catch him and prevent him from getting away. We laid in the parking lot while I called 911 and the nice officers came to remove the subject.

I share because I feel it could be valuable for people to consider what happened to me and think about their own reactions, how the situation could have been avoided, etc. I do warn that you should not consider my actions to be advice to you in any way. I attempted the disarm because I am trained and practice such things regularly. I chased the individual because that's what I get paid the big bucks to do. No, I wasn't on the clock at the time but some things just have to happen. Anyway- have fun ripping my actions to shreds... that's what we do. Regardless I'm happy with my actions and the outcome.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member
    Nice outcome.
    mano3 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

hope the perp had ample bruises. Glad it turned out so well.

VIP Member
    Well-played. I'm assuming he will be spending some time with colleagues who will be working with him on his victim selection skills.
    bandrich likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Big bucks, huh ? I suspect sarcasm...never saw much in my career...glad you made it through it safely...

You're safe and if you are pleased with how you handled it how could I object, I was not there. I think that who ever you are you will use what you know best and everyone has certain moves and mindset how to handle things like what you explained. Glad things turned out as they should have
    Tzadik and mook012 like this.

But you are suppose to give the wallet up and not do anything, gun grabs can not be done...

Well played, Echo. Put bad arse on your resume....
    Badey likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

All's well that ends well. Thanks for making the Bluegrass a little safer.
    Aceoky likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member
    I'm glad you were able to disarm him. Makes me wonder if this is the kind of people this country is raising with so many going into poverty, was he wanting money for drugs or just at his wits end not being able to make any money to live?! It's sad, and you did a good job keeping your cool.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Whats to criticize? It sounds like you did everything right. Good parking, good awareness, good on taking the initiative, good decision to not draw against the drop, good that you were prepared to go hand-to-hand and were up on your disarms. You also had a phone with which to summon aid. The only possible point of contention I can see would be the decision to shop at that hour of the morning. Most people aren't used to those hours and so can't properly evaluate things. I spent a good part of my life working odd hours and am completely comfortable in that environment so I don't see it as all that dangerous. Fewer people out means it is easier to spot trouble coming your way--fewer people to keep track of or get in your way.

Glad it worked out for you and thanks for posting.
    Aceoky and mook012 like this.

Glad your safe, good job
    mook012 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    I'm glad you were able to disarm him. Makes me wonder if this is the kind of people this country is raising with so many going into poverty, was he wanting money for drugs or just at his wits end not being able to make any money to live?! It's sad, and you did a good job keeping your cool.

From experience, poverty ihas very little to do with criminals, especially street thugs...there are some very evil people in the world.
    locotest likes this.

No complaints here and good job.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    I think i'll hire you to protect me..........sounds like you handled things very well.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Bravo Sir well palyed. If you can say I'm curious what kind of revolver he had, what condition it was in, and what he had it loaded with.
    BadgerJ likes this.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links