Don't forget to do the right thing.

This is a discussion on Don't forget to do the right thing. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday was a strange day at the Hball residence.( I am armed all the time, just for those that might ask ) It was a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Don't forget to do the right thing.

Don't forget to do the right thing.

Yesterday was a strange day at the Hball residence.( I am armed all the time, just for those that might ask ) It was a little warm so the kids and I were down stairs chillin in the AC playing on the laptops. All of a sudden the door bell rings. Friends and family know to knock, we hate the door bell. Baby girl looks at me and says who is that. I said I don't know, look and see. She says its a little boy, I said WHAT, she says a little boy.

I told her okay, you and little man go up stairs for a minute I will call you down. I open the door, scan left, then right, then a double check. Nothing, no body around. I ask the little guy, What can I do for you. He says, I am lost can I call my mom? I said that I would call for him, and did so. I speak to her and she was laughing at the fact he was lost, about 5 city blocks lost I might add. She said she would be right there, and was to pick him up. When she pulled up, she called the little guy a "stupid dumb ass" for getting lost. I said nothing and turned and went back inside my home...

Moral of the story, do not let your defensive mindset stop you from doing the right thing. It costs nothing to do a favor for someone even if they do not appreciate it.

That's the story, now for the Rant part. I could not believe the mother. This poor little boy was crying and all sorts, it took everything in his power to come to my door, and this peace of crap mother calls him names and chastises him for getting lost. If there was ever a time in my life that I wanted to hit a woman it was this moment.....Good grief...For her benefit cooler heads prevailed...

2. Remove Ads

The right thing would involve opening the door and giving him a cool drink o' lemonade while he waited. You did that, too, yeah?

Good reminder, though. Never let your guard down. But never let it stop you from doing the right thing. Words to live by.

Kudos to the kid for heading to a respectable-looking establishment, to ask for assistance. Bad form, on the parent for verbally berating the kid as an idiot, something that'll bear ugly dividends in the long run (for the kid and the family).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    yes sir be aware and do good if posible

VIP Member
    Well played. Thanks for the post.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I think your plan of action was way better than a Biden-like two blast warning shot.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Well done. At least one adult is a good example their children in this story.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Should report it. Pattern of behavior and all that.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

A lot of good examples in the OP: a house layout that allows clear view of the stoop from inside; a child who immediately complies with command to go upstairs until the possible danger is over; remaining armed; cautiously inquiring about the visitor; helping, where able; and frowning upon the horrible excuse for parenting exhibited by the one who came to pick up the child.

About the only other (unstated) thing would be to have a sit-down with one's own kids on the subject of that "stupid idiot" remark, if the kids had heard that parent utter it, to ensure they knew the difference between their own family and home and that of other people's homes, in terms of simple respect and support of everyone.
    Sontag, Hoganbeg and NONAME762 like this.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Should report it. Pattern of behavior and all that.
    To whom? The mother has a right to be mad at him, even if I do not agree with her methods of handling it. She didnt hit him, just yelled at him. Reporting it would have been a waste of time and effort IMO..

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I think your plan of action was way better than a Biden-like two blast warning shot.
    Before or after Mom showed up?
    Stoveman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    A lot of good examples in the OP: a house layout that allows clear view of the stoop from inside; a child who immediately complies with command to go upstairs until the possible danger is over; remaining armed; cautiously inquiring about the visitor; helping, where able; and frowning upon the horrible excuse for parenting exhibited by the one who came to pick up the child.

About the only other (unstated) thing would be to have a sit-down with one's own kids on the subject of that "stupid idiot" remark, if the kids had heard that parent utter it, to ensure they knew the difference between their own family and home and that of other people's homes, in terms of simple respect and support of everyone.
    Good points. My little ones did not hear it. They were still upstairs. They asked what happened I told them. Then they started to evaluate why I wont let them do certain things. God they grow up fast...

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    They asked what happened I told them. Then they started to evaluate why I wont let them do certain things. God they grow up fast...
    Good topic for discussion on the risks of being young and out and about, and on the question of risks/rewards of answering the door (in light of some of the "false flag" home invasions that occur from time to time), keeping the door locked at all times, remaining armed, etc etc.

Sounds like your kids have good heads on their shoulders. Amazing what kids can learn when they're treated as young adults, involved with evaluations and decisions about things. They can really understand things quickly, that way, and develop the ol' noodle far faster than seems believable. Kids are cool, in that way. Fun to help along the path.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Good job! I would have had a hard time keeping my cool with the mother. Glad it worked out and everybody was safe.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Before anybody goes overboard defending the mom's actions here, give this a read: You Carry the Cure in Your Heart.

Harsh words from a parent can hit a child harder than a fist.

Back on topic: I think it best that the OP did not invite the child inside to wait, but rather remained outside on the porch with him. Several reasons. First, while a lost child may elect to seek help at a stranger's house, going inside that house should be a no-no. Second, staying outdoors with a strange child is the prudent thing for the OP to do, lest we get into "show me where the stranger touched you on this doll" territory.

However, rendering aid to a child in trouble shouldn't be an extraordinary thing. Way too much talk on these boards about never answering the door, such that a house becomes less a home and more of a barricade. No, I don't like opening my door to strangers of any ilk. They're usually selling something and I have to tell 'em to scram. But I'll be stuffed and bottled before I hide in my own home like a frightened schoolgirl.
    tundra, ccw9mm, oneshot and 3 others like this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Yeah, these folks who cry, "Never answer the door," are going to regret that opinion when Publishers Warehouse comes calling.
    StormRhydr, Sister and Ghost1958 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links