Possible Home invasion just now

This is a discussion on Possible Home invasion just now within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a story about what just happened at my neighbor's house. It will be a lengthy read. I was arriving at my house at ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Possible Home invasion just now

This is a story about what just happened at my neighbor's house.
    It will be a lengthy read.

I was arriving at my house at about 12:00 AM. I pulled onto my street and saw 5 police cars. The one furthest to the back was blocking part of my driveway. I had enough room to pull in. I pulled in my drive way and turned off my car. At this point, I was unsure what was going on. I exited my vehicle and got out. As soon as I got out I saw two police officers come around the corner of my neighbor's house. They had their guns drawn, and in the ready position with their flashlights in their weak hands. I asked, "What is going on?", one officer replied, "We are checking the residence."

I know this neighbor very well. It is a couple with two kids. The husband works offshore for a living. I asked the police officers if they would like me to call either of their phones. He said that they had been inside already. They continued to check around the residence. A few minutes went by and I hadn't seen them. The woman's dad had arrived because she had called him. The police officers then left the residence. The dad of the woman and the woman were on her back porch talking. I went to see what was going on.

The woman was home alone. Her husband was at work and her kids were not sleeping at home. She was in her room. Her bedroom door was locked, the door to the hall was also locked. All of the sudden, she heard two loud banging knocks on her bedroom door. She called 911 and also called her father. She explained to the 911 operator what vehicle her father would be arriving in. She told the operator she was not leaving her bedroom.

The police officers had to kick the door in. The front door to the house has glass panes in the front, only two or three panes I believe. The police officers broke a pane of glass, thinking there was just a knob locked. The door has deadbolts on the bottom also, about a foot from the bottom of the door. They had to kick it in by foot after breaking the glass did not work. The police checked every place in the house. Every closet, every bathroom, all the cabinets. They did not find any thing. The woman said it was no doubt someone at her door. After the house had been cleared, everything was still locked up. No door were unlocked, no signs of forced entry. Assuming someone was in the house, they may had been hiding in there for a while. She said she went to get the mail earlier in the evening, and also take in the trash can from the road. She did not lock the door when she went to do this. I don't think many people lock their doors if they are just going get mail and take in the trash. I could be wrong though. But, if someone was in her home, they may have gotten inside when she went outside for a few minutes. They may have actually been in here house hiding for a couple hours. That is a scary thought.

The woman did have a gun. I'm assuming it was a revolver. The explanation I got was, "the first shot is a blank, the second is a scatter shot (410 shotgun shell?) , the third is a shot that will kill." That is what I was I told. That kind of worried me for obvious reasons. I am assuming and hoping she at least has some more rounds after that third shot.

She was very shooken up. Her dad was also pretty shooken up. She will be sleeping at her dad's house tonight.

I live in a city of about 15,000 people. I live in the nicest part of the city. My neighborhood certainly isn't an extravagant upper class one. It is a pretty nice neighborhood though, pretty quiet, middle-upper class, I'd say. There has been multiple break-ins lately. I believe about 4 or 5. This neighborhood must be the target as of now. All of these were Home invasions. I know for sure in one of them, residents were home.

Everyone is safe right now. No one is absolutely positive it was someone in the house. I don't think anyone can prove that. The woman said the ONLY other thing it could've been was a rafter in the attic that fell. She said that it had happened once before. I guess if a rafter were to fall, in the right place, the right way, it could sound like two loud bangs on a bedroom door. This isn't likely, but It could happen in a rare event.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Time to have a meeting of the neighbors and start up a Block Watch.

When your neighbor calms down sufficiently to return to her home it would be nice if you were to take her to a range to get in some practice. While doing that you might learn what type of HD weapon she has or had the night of the incident at her house.

If that scenario of hers had of happened to me I'd be looking at new shotguns and a handgun in the 40cal range.

My mailbox is 1/2 a block away. I always lock up my house even to just check my mail. When I mow my yard the house is locked up tight. In the 20+years I've lived here very little weird stuff has happened here.
    blitzburgh, tdave and mano3 like this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    Time to have a meeting of the neighbors and start up a Block Watch.

When your neighbor calms down sufficiently to return to her home it would be nice if you were to take her to a range to get in some practice. While doing that you might learn what type of HD weapon she has or had the night of the incident at her house.

If that scenario of hers had of happened to me I'd be looking at new shotguns and a handgun in the 40cal range.

My mailbox is 1/2 a block away. I always lock up my house even to just check my mail. When I mow my yard the house is locked up tight. In the 20+years I've lived here very little weird stuff has happened here.
    Like I said. I could be wrong about everyone leaving their door unlocked to get mail. Anyone can have their house set up differently. Her mailbox is about 15 yards from her front door. In your case, your's sounds a lot further. I can certainly understand why you lock your doors. I guess that it is something everyone should think about. Of course we should be able to go outside for a few minutes to retrieve mail and bring in trash cans, without having to lock the door. But the world is certainly a dangerous place and anything can happen.

NONAME762 likes this.

That's some scary stuff. If you know them personally, I'm sure soon we'll find out whether or not it was indeed a fallen rafter though I'm more so leaning towards it indeed be a riff-raffer instead.

Far as NONAMES's suggestion, bringing up the range isn't a bad idea either. She may very well attend the range more than you do so if put right, it could turn out to be a fun thing with a range partner instead of her possibly taking it as insulting. And of course, glad to hear that the victim is just shaken up as opposed to injured or dead.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by SW96 View Post
    But the world is certainly a dangerous place and anything can happen.

This ain't Kansas any more Toto
    tdave, Texaszed4mc and Aceoky like this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

I leave my door unlocked to get the mail, heck I leave it open, but then again my mailbox is on my porch...
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

Sounds like it's time for a security system or a large dog. Can't see as she did anything wrong, except for the blank and whatnot.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

My wife has a Taurus PD the first round is PDX the second round is PDX the third round is PDX, need I continue?
    mano3 and bigpapa like this.

VIP Member
    I'm glad she's okay.

Let's see if I have all of this right?
    Husband away and offshore.
    Kids away, wife in home alone.
    Neighborhood has had 4-5 previous burglaries/home invasions
    Front door has two dead bolts, she had two interior doors locked (hall and bedroom)
    Two "knocks" on her door and then nothing else, no door knob rattling, no voices, no footsteps? (BTW rafters dont typically just fall)
    The police arrive and cannot find any entry and I presume no signs of an exit by someone.

Hmmmm, I sort of have the feeling that she may be ultra nervous in staying home alone, aka known as scared, and maybe she heard a distant/related noise and associated with the knock at her bedroom door. At that time of night, maybe she had fallen asleep and dreamed she heard knocking?

I could be all wrong, I'm only in the position to speculate. I can't agree with the .410 blank (can you even buy those, or did someone make it), but I do think it would cause a home invader to ruin his drawers.

I'm glad she's okay, it sounds like the police made a pretty fast and thorough response. Interesting story.
    Snub44 and atctimmy like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

This is very baffling, sense the kids were not at home maybe something in one of there rooms fell or a toilet set fell.

If you are asleep and wake suddenly you can jump to the wrong conclusions about noises etc and really believe you are right.

She seems to need a better personal defensive setup and some sort of home security.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Sounds a little bit weird to me to suggest that somebody snuck into her house and hid for a possibly hours, just to knock twice on her door. And if this is the case, how did he then leave without any doors being unlocked?

I of course wasn't there, so maybe there's something that I'm missing, but it sounds to me like she heard something and got a little freaked. Reasonably so, considering the neighborhood's recent history, but I don't think there was any actual home invasion.

Just my opinion, though. Glad everything worked out alright, regardless.
    Jeanlouise and atctimmy like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

This one does sound a bit "off". Maybe she is having trouble with a boyfriend ........Sometimes things are just not as they seam to be.

So how did the cops (or anyone) figure someone got in and got out, again, without unlocking or leaving a door unlocked? Glad the lady is OK, but some of the above suggestions of dreams, etc. occured to me, also. This is tough to figure.

Let us know how this all was able to happen with so little evidence of entry. I'd be curious ....
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I'm glad she's okay.

Let's see if I have all of this right?
    Husband away and offshore.
    Kids away, wife in home alone.
    Neighborhood has had 4-5 previous burglaries/home invasions
    Front door has two dead bolts, she had two interior doors locked (hall and bedroom)
    Two "knocks" on her door and then nothing else, no door knob rattling, no voices, no footsteps? (BTW rafters dont typically just fall)
    The police arrive and cannot find any entry and I presume no signs of an exit by someone.

Hmmmm, I sort of have the feeling that she may be ultra nervous in staying home alone, aka known as scared, and maybe she heard a distant/related noise and associated with the knock at her bedroom door. At that time of night, maybe she had fallen asleep and dreamed she heard knocking?

I could be all wrong, I'm only in the position to speculate. I can't agree with the .410 blank (can you even buy those, or did someone make it), but I do think it would cause a home invader to ruin his drawers.

I'm glad she's okay, it sounds like the police made a pretty fast and thorough response. Interesting story.
    I was also thinking was she asleep and perhaps dreamed the knock. It is possible there was an intruder that somehow managed to gain access, perhaps picked a lock or found an open window and got scared off. If he thought no one was home however why would he knock? If he didn't think anyone was home I would suspect he would have rattled the door knob instead of knocking.
    Still pretty scary for her, and her husband I suppose.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Sounds like she needs a different/better home defense weapon and that she has a ghost in the house. She needs to call the Ghostbusters ASAP.
    lionround, ZX9RCAM and Darrow75 like this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links