Marksmanship?

Marksmanship?

This is a discussion on Marksmanship? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last week we had a massive shoot out right behind my house. Since this was 2 days before Independence Day I thought they were M ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Marksmanship?

GH [OP]

Marksmanship?

Last week we had a massive shoot out right behind my house. Since this was 2 days before Independence Day I thought they were M 80 firecrackers that had been going off all day. My curiosity was aroused because when they got real close they didn't quite sound like any fireworks. I carefully peeked out of my rear bedroom window & saw a dude with a black handgun, make unknown shooting down the alley behind my property. Sure sounded like a .40 cal. I heard more shooting from the opposite direction & a car revving up to speed. It's a dead end alley & the driver must have figured that out. He had to run the gamut with the original shooter now shooting 9MM (he carries 2 guns?) as the car passed him at a distance of about 2 feet. Between the 2 in the car & the unseen brother of the first shooter who as it turned out lived in the house across the alley from me all shooting like they wanted to start another ammo shortage. There had to have been at least 50 rounds shot off. I tried to be a good witness & get a description of the only shooter that I had a view of & within seconds while I was still talking to the 911 operator 5 squads pulled up. They heard it, too & responded. All the shooters were gone but with the descriptions of the cars they caught them real fast. Brass laying all over the alley, .40 cal & 9MM. When the officer told me they had all suspects in custody I asked how badly they were wounded. Not one freakin' scratch! There was car glass in the alley & the street he turned on so I know at least the car was hit in a window. They managed to hit the garage across from me once, the neighbor's garage across the street from me & their next door neighbor's upper level. Good shootin' pard! I told the cops that I was going to put up a sign advertising shooting skills instruction. Maybe I can make a few bucks.

Now because I'm a "witness" I have to go downtown next week to see the DA. I told the detective on the scene that there was no way I could ID the face of the only one I saw because my eyes were solely on his hands. Just his general description & clothing. Had they turned 45 degrees I would have been forced to join in on the fun.
    HAGJewels and msgt/ret like this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I've always said the problem with gang drive-bys is marksmanship, they always hit a bystander. With proper training the gang members would hi their intended target and eliminate one gang-banger, a win for society.
    Crashoften, sixgun and msgt/ret like this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

GH [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    I've always said the problem with gang drive-bys is marksmanship, they always hit a bystander. With proper training the gang members would hi their intended target and eliminate one gang-banger, a win for society.
    My thoughts exactly.
    Crashoften likes this.
    Glenn

Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

One of the moves I like best when training is Walking Backwards while firing. I figure that every foot I put between myself & the bg, is to my benefit, as gang bangers dont go to the range.
    HAGJewels likes this.

I guess when you are in a dark alley banging away on the trigger, looking at your sights is secondary??
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    One of the moves I like best when training is Walking Backwards while firing. I figure that every foot I put between myself & the bg, is to my benefit, as gang bangers dont go to the range.
    Taking that argument to its logical conclusion, the best defense is shooting bangers from 300 yards with a deer rifle. Which may well be to your benefit, but probably not legally sound.
    atctimmy likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Taking that argument to its logical conclusion, the best defense is shooting bangers from 300 yards with a deer rifle. Which may well be to your benefit, but probably not legally sound.
    Would you rather he run towards them??
    StormRhydr and Ghost1958 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

GH [OP]
    I forgot to mention - it was 7:10 PM. Plenty of daylight at this latitude. No excuse for sloppy shooting. The detective called me a few minutes ago to make sure I knew how to get to the DA's office. The shooter I saw, supposedly he lives across the alley from me but I can't remember ever seeing him, told the detective that the guys in the car were burglarizing his garage & when he confronted them they started shooting then jumped in their car. Could be. I can't see his garage because my garage covers the view.
    PEF likes this.
    Glenn

Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    Agreed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Would you rather he run towards them??
    Personally I like shooting while moonwalking. Nothing like looking like your coming forward when your going backward to mess up the BGS aim
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    I forgot to mention - it was 7:10 PM. Plenty of daylight at this latitude. No excuse for sloppy shooting. The detective called me a few minutes ago to make sure I knew how to get to the DA's office. The shooter I saw, supposedly he lives across the alley from me but I can't remember ever seeing him, told the detective that the guys in the car were burglarizing his garage & when he confronted them they started shooting then jumped in their car. Could be. I can't see his garage because my garage covers the view.
    You are a man of principle. Two guys in a face off and you critique their shooting.

I like it!
    liquid150 likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

They needed these.

homeboynytesytes467ace.jpg
    Stoveman likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    They needed these.

homeboynytesytes467ace.jpg
    I dont think that would help, it would mean they would have to look at the sights
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

Just one question... Were they shooting 'Gangsta' style or perhaps even Super Modified 'Gangsta' style?

Here's a quick tutorial on the differences:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDnEkFSMRik

Quote Originally Posted by TaterSalad View Post
    Just one question... Were they shooting 'Gangsta' style or perhaps even Super Modified 'Gangsta' style?

Here's a quick tutorial on the differences:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDnEkFSMRik

I wonder how quickly that style would get me kicked out of the local indoor range?
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links