Stay safe while travelling

This is a discussion on Stay safe while travelling within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not really a concealed weapon thing here, more of a situational awareness and staying safe out there thing. My mom drove home early early this ...

Thread: Stay safe while travelling

Stay safe while travelling

Not really a concealed weapon thing here, more of a situational awareness and staying safe out there thing.

My mom drove home early early this morning to go back home after visiting us over Thanksgiving (we live in FL, she lives in TN and drives through GA up I-75 to get home). Got a call from her cell around lunchtime, fortunately she and her small dog are ok but unfortunately she was in an accident in mid-GA on the interstate that rendered her rental car undriveable. Long story short after an hour or two of calling AAA and her rental company, while I was trying to figure out how to get her and her rental back to TN, a tow truck called by the local police shows up and hooks her up & takes her away. Seems the police were most anxious to get her auto out of the way. So fine, off she goes when I finally get through to her on her cell. I'm relieved, the tow truck will tow her car and take her/her dog/the luggage back to east TN, problem solved right?

My wife alerted me to my inattention about 1/2 an hour later. What tow company is she with? What truck # is taking her? Who's the driver? Everything's probably ok but after this reminder I got all kinds of visions from that Kurt Russell movie "Breakdown" in my head, single delicate and elderly woman travelling alone, someone I don't know from adam picks her up and away she goes... somewhere. And of course for whatever reason I couldn't get ahold of her on her cell after that... if somehow the very worst happened and she just disappeared, how would I get enough info to get the police on the track?

The good news is I was able to call the local PD and get the name/number of the towing company, and ended up being able to talk to my mom and get the rest of this info. But without my wife reminding me, I wouldn't have thought of that for awhile if at all. This little episode was a good reminder for me that I've seen hammered home again and again in situational awareness training drills- don't get fixated on the task at hand! I got so fixated on trying to get her car taken care of I started to lose track of the important stuff, like "where's my mom, who's she with"? Good wake-up call for me.

2. Remove Ads

Glad things worked out and you mom is OK. Sounds like a bit of a wake up call!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Assistant Administrator
    Good news - in the end.

I do think that for most of us - however hard we work at awareness, there are always odd things occur that are wake-up calls.

Trying to live in yellow is not a finite process IMO - and that is why it takes some effort. We never reach a safe plateau where we ''have it licked'' - always more to learn and develope as a skill.

I catch myself most days in odd relatively lax moments - but having that ''awareness - of awareness'' is what helps us strive for closest to perfection we can.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Also, a lot of people do not realize that a cell phone that does not have active service can still call 911. If you are like me and don't always carry a cell phone, toss an old one and a 12v charger in the trunk with your emergency kit (you do have and emergency kit, right?). If you don't happen to have an old phone around you can pick one up cheap on ebay.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

We Can All Get Caught Off Guard...

It's not impossible. We learn from our mistakes...and that is why we share things on this forum...

Thanks for another lesson...

Stay very alert...trust no one...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links