Real Life incident

This is a discussion on Real Life incident within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wasn't quite sure where to put this post...since it's an actual event. Article published Monday, November 27, 2006 http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs...GNEWS/31127000 Toledo man to face arraignment ...

Thread: Real Life incident

Real Life incident

I wasn't quite sure where to put this post...since it's an actual event.

Article published Monday, November 27, 2006
    http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs...GNEWS/31127000

Toledo man to face arraignment this morning in grave site robbery, stabbing of Millbury couple

A 44-year-old Toledo man is expected to be arraigned this morning in connection with the robbery and stabbing Saturday of a Millbury couple as they were tending a grave site at Calvary Cemetery in West Toledo.

Derwin White, of 1115 Shirley Ave., was arrested last night on a charge of felonious assault and two counts of aggravated robbery in the attack on the couple, Toledo police said.

In addition, Mr. White was also charged with one count of aggravated robbery and one count of robbery for other incidents. He is being held in the Lucas County jail pending his arraignment this morning in Toledo Municipal Court.

On Saturday, a man wielding a butcher knife stabbed William Prymicz, 53, and his wife, Karen, 49, of Millbury, Ohio, during a robbery at a Calvary Cemetery grave site just off Parkside Boulevard near Dorr Street. The attack occurred just before 3 p.m., when a man attempted to take Mrs. Prymicz's purse, police said.

Mr. Prymicz, who tried to stop the robber, was stabbed multiple times in the shoulder and cut on his head. When Mrs. Prymicz came to his aid, she was slashed several times in the head and shoulder area by the suspect, who then fled the scene.
    __________________________________________________ __

I just recently had to defend my reasoning behind "always carrying". A friend of mine couldn't understand "why I would even carry if I was just going up to the store and back"....he says I'm paranoid. I'm sure many of you too have had this question posed to you from time to time. I've made it a habit of collecting news clippings from stories like this. I've put them in a 3 ring binder to serve as a witness as to why "I ALWAYS CARRY".

~Stay alert, Stay alive

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Well Ya'll best go buy a couple more binders then LOL http://claytoncramer.com/gundefenseblog/blogger.html
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Good link, RR....
    Thanks...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I like that blog because he is good about linking back to a news source . Limits the bs a bit .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

My response to this question is:

If I knew where I'd be attacked, I'd never go there.

If I knew when I'd be attacked, I'd be sure to be at the emergency room at the appointed time.

Knowing neither of these important parameters I'm always prepared for the worst...

Allan

I Have A Feeling...

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Well Ya'll best go buy a couple more binders then LOL http://claytoncramer.com/gundefenseblog/blogger.html
    that TWO just isn't going to do it...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by B1911 View Post
    I just recently had to defend my reasoning behind "always carrying". A friend of mine couldn't understand "why I would even carry if I was just going up to the store and back"....he says I'm paranoid.
    You're wise; you're prepared. He's sheep (though doesn't realize it); and, sheep get slaughtered.

In reality, some BG's will target public, high-density areas due to the increased number of opportunities. Other BG's will target low-density areas (like the "corner market") because of the reduced likelihood of resistance. Many will combine the two, targeting at the public area and then tailing to a less-dense area before engaging. While other BG's will go random/postal and take things to such an extreme as to take peripheral bystanders down with them, even ones not directly targeted. Far more likely is to not be specifically targeted but to be forced to react to a situation blowing up right in front of us.

As GG's don't control the initiation and basic flow of a crime, we're stuck with reacting. Can't react very effectively without tools to do so. (Think: fire w/o an extinguisher.) Pen/paper, phone for communications, knife, firearm ... each is a simple tool, with a use that the other items can't easily duplicate.

Keep the clippings, but be forewarned that such items may be used as (sadly) evidence of unreasonable fear. Me, I keep my first (and only) draw/challenge event emblazoned on the inside of my forehead, where the memory of the BG's narrow and focused eyes won't ever leave me. My "radar" and response convinced him and his accomplice to change plans, that day, but it likely won't always be so. That's motivation enough.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I've yet to get my permit and firearm, but once I do I plan on carrying all the time. As people have pointed out, it can happen any time, any where. On the way to the store, to pick up bread and milk? So's the BG, to pick up some cash from the till.

In my own home? I'm unsure about this yet, but my place has been intruded upon (partly my own fault... long story.) Had something taken. We've had a spate of windstorms, our power goes out if someone toots too loud, and it gets awfully dark, scary and vulnerable to looters. So even at home I plan on having it nearby, if not on me.

I don't think I'm being paranoid, just safe and secure. Having my big brother (I mean BIIGGGG brother; his nickname is Bear) here helps too.

Links