Could someone REALLY pull the trigger?

This is a discussion on Could someone REALLY pull the trigger? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know that each individual here has his or her preferences to what he or she carries. We have a caliber wars and Glock vs. ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: Could someone REALLY pull the trigger?

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.

Could someone REALLY pull the trigger?

I know that each individual here has his or her preferences to what he or she carries. We have a caliber wars and Glock vs. 1911 vs. S&W etc. and that can be informative as well a fun. I feel sure that each person carries, what they feel is, the best firearm/ammo combination. We practice and try to become proficient at defensive scenarios, drawing, first shot placement, controlled pairs, multiple targets, etc.

All that aside. Could someone actually pull the trigger. I know that most folks feel as if they could, BUT??? I have never witnessed it, but have heard first hand stories of witnesses that say, "That person had the gun out, but could not pull the trigger". I have heard of this, on more than one occasion, from LEOs and Military folks.

I have heard people say, "I could, but I don't know about my wife" or "I believe so, but not sure". I would hope that, if absolutely necessary, we all could pull the trigger, but, I guess that no one really knows, for sure, until that situation arises.

I don't know that this "freezing" is uncommon. I would like to hear of some first hand situations, personal, witnessing or otherwise. I feel sure that the Military and LEOs have some interesting stories on the subject and could advise others on how to train yourself mentally to not just become proficient with a firearm, but to actually be able to use it, if necessary.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The only way to be absolutely sure is to be in a situation that requires you to defend your life, until then it is only speculation.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

As I've stated on here before, my S&W Model 36 saved my arse twice..no shots fired thankfully but a mouse hair away from it both times.....mentally I was already committed to do what ever had to be done....the rest was up to them.....guess they saw something in my eyes.
    ErnieNWillis likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by oldskeetshooter View Post
    I know that each individual here has his or her preferences to what he or she carries. We have a caliber wars and Glock vs. 1911 vs. S&W etc. and that can be informative as well a fun. I feel sure that each person carries, what they feel is, the best firearm/ammo combination. We practice and try to become proficient at defensive scenarios, drawing, first shot placement, controlled pairs, multiple targets, etc.

All that aside. Could someone actually pull the trigger. I know that most folks feel as if they could, BUT??? I have never witnessed it, but have heard first hand stories of witnesses that say, "That person had the gun out, but could not pull the trigger". I have heard of this, on more than one occasion, from LEOs and Military folks.

I have heard people say, "I could, but I don't know about my wife" or "I believe so, but not sure". I would hope that, if absolutely necessary, we all could pull the trigger, but, I guess that no one really knows, for sure, until that situation arises.

I don't know that this "freezing" is uncommon. I would like to hear of some first hand situations, personal, witnessing or otherwise. I feel sure that the Military and LEOs have some interesting stories on the subject and could advise others on how to train yourself mentally to not just become proficient with a firearm, but to actually be able to use it, if necessary.
    One thing I do know for sure, Is yes I can...
    blitzburgh and 40Bob like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

If someone is threatening my wife or kids, you are darn sure I will be pulling the trigger. I will deal with the consequences later, when I know they are safe.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; July 24th, 2013 at 05:42 PM.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

I spent twenty-two years in the military including time in Viet Nam. There is no way to know what you or anyone else will do in a real situation. There is no guarantee that someone will act the same in subsequent situations. I have seen people who were star athlete types, who made training look easy, who excelled in simulations, and who excelled in weapons training fall apart in a real situation. I have seen people who barely made it through training perform admirably in real situations. It is all just a game until reality hits. A person who worries about what they will do makes me more comfortable than the person who is sure they are ready for anything because they have trained well.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I spent twenty-two years in the military including time in Viet Nam. There is no way to know what you or anyone else will do in a real situation. There is no guarantee that someone will act the same in subsequent situations. I have seen people who were star athlete types, who made training look easy, who excelled in simulations, and who excelled in weapons training fall apart in a real situation. I have seen people who barely made it through training perform admirably in real situations. It is all just a game until reality hits. A person who worries about what they will do makes me more comfortable than the person who is sure they are ready for anything because they have trained well.
    Very well put. I have total confidence that if I have to defend my life or a loved ones life the I could definitely pull the trigger to do it but until it happens no one really knows. I hope the situation never comes up but if it does I hope I can.

Senior Moderator
    I think it depends on training and what target you are ultimately faced with.
    Large male with a weapon will be easier to fire upon than a 14 y/o girl who reminds you of your daughter.
    FoF training with real people (men and women) is good practice to help you get used to pulling the trigger.
    When I went to FoF the instructor expressed gratitude I was there because it would give the men in the class a chance to practice shooting a woman.
    That being said, of course I don't KNOW and even if I'd previously fired upon one person doesn't mean that I will definitely fire on the next.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; July 24th, 2013 at 05:43 PM.

If that is a question in your mind, don't carry until you resolve it, either way.

Training helps... and that doesn't mean shooting at paper at the range...

Even at war, against an armed enemy, MEN have had some difficulty killing... Women? Don't know...

But, if mama bear feels her children are in danger.. .all bets are off... I really think if mama bear had "the football" when her kids were in danger, she just might use it.

This series of videos addresses how the modern warrior is trained to use his weapon... I've used url links instead of imbedding the videos... And force on force training is a matter of conditioning response to actually pull the trigger when you need to...

Well worth watching... I think the total time of all the episodes is 1 hour...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vlGR7S2wcI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNj6LYrwFgU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWVvbZY2IAA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLVwz2TeDn4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6jrRqGwtB8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzqbPDzebz4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cClbJZXn0a4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw2bOrB1TXQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7ykfgp7OKU
    rugerista and Phaedrus like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Yes. Next question.
    Harryball and BushidoMarine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by oldskeetshooter View Post

You'll hear it again from a retired police officer.

I have seen situations where officers did not shoot. Did they do so because they couldn't or didn't have a good shot ? Who knows but the individual officer. Two officers came into the Homicide Division one day with a loaded Calico, conical drum fed handgun. They came in 9MM (50 rounds) or .22LR (100 rounds). This particular one was .22LR. They did not know how to unload the still loaded firearm. They stated they heard gun shots while they were on patrol. The worked their way to the site of the continued shooting and saw a man with his back to them standing in the street shooting the Calico into the air. The exited their patrol car, used the doors for cover, and with guns drawn, ordered him to drop the gun. He man turned and stated, "you drop yours !" I was amazed there wasn't a shooting...a bunch of other detectives wondered why there wasn't a police shooting. One officers just walked up to this character and took the gun away. Go figure...I wasn't there.

I have also seen the worst shooting officer in her academy class shoot and kill, with one shot, a burglary suspect beating another officer to death with of all things, a ladder. The shot was not up close and personal. It was a distance shot.

We had scenarios while training in the academy, and believe it or not, many dropped out of the academy when they realized just how serious and dangerous the job was. They said they couldn't and wouldn't get into a gun fight. It is a question which must be answered for anyone who carries a firearm, civilian or police officer.

i would pull it eight times and then reload.
    placement is key right? the more times you pull the trigger the better your chances of hitting the right place.

buuuut. every situation is different.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    My 1911 has a mind of its own, BANG !

As responsible gun owners and shooters we spend alot of energy making sure we don't shoot or even point guns at people.
    At the same time we expect to be able to point a gun at and shoot a BG when our safety depends on it.

I think there are many that could take the shot w/o hesitation. There are many others that are questionable. I'd like to think I'm in the first group but am likely in the second group.

Rather than just thinking we have the mindset to be able to shoot, we need training in stress induced situations that require one to identify BGs vs GGs and shoot appropriately. If someone has taken the shots many times in these type of scenarios, they will be more likely to take and make the shot when required.

OMO YMMV
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links