What do you do when you are startled? Not necessarily about being armed.

This is a discussion on What do you do when you are startled? Not necessarily about being armed. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Startled, frightened, surprised, etc. Like if your friend/son/spouse gives you a good shock out of the dark that would NOT cause you to go for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What do you do when you are startled? Not necessarily about being armed.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

What do you do when you are startled? Not necessarily about being armed.

Startled, frightened, surprised, etc. Like if your friend/son/spouse gives you a good shock out of the dark that would NOT cause you to go for your gun.

I got to thinking about this from a comment on another thread.

If the stimulus comes from in front or where I can see it, I usually scream loudly and stiffen up in preparation for a confrontation/fight.

If the stimulus comes from the rear, or I'm not sure, I tend to just stiffen and hold for more information/input. I don't characterize this necessarily as a "freeze response" per se, and of course I am not actually in danger.

I'm starting a companion thread about being startled when an armed response may be the correct reaction here:

What is your instinctual reaction to a dangerous threat while carrying?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Move. Maybe not with ninja grace but I move.
    southernwi likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Same as the other thread, make space and evaluate.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I am bouncing out of the way.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Startled, frightened, surprised, etc. Like if your friend/son/spouse gives you a good shock out of the dark that would NOT cause you to go for your gun.
    Generally, if I am horizontally meditating and am startled, my feet fly up first. I attempt to assess the situation. Move all information from the right side of my brain to the left side of my brain so as to make a rational decision. If someone, in the example that you gave, performed the act intentionally, I then move the information back to the right side of my brain. The right side of the brain controls emotions and two of the three examples would get a severe thrashing in the neck, head and shoulder region. The other example would lose credit card priviliges for several months.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

When startled by family of friends, on purpose as a joke or even inadvertently usually... "WHAT THE #@&% IS YOUR MALFUNCTION!!!"
    sealteam20001 likes this.

VIP Member
    My brother and I used to get into some knock-down drag-outs when we were younger. One time he came up behind me, kicked a wheeled chair out from under me, and pinned me up against the table. My reaction was to strike back with everything I had - fists, legs, teeth. I distinctly remember spotting weapons at hand like a pipe wrench, but I chose to not use them, even in the heat of the fight. Because that was my brother and it was a scrap.

One time my husband decided to startle me while I was in the shower and I nearly punched him.

So after the initial startle reflex of screaming and jumping in the air like a cat, I tend to strike at or swipe away.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't startle easily, but my neighbor will leap for the sky when I walk up to him. Stealth has never been my middle name, and he's not deaf by any means, but I almost have to use an uggah horn prior to approaching. My reaction is usually "That's a good way to get shot by some people."
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

As a young man, I've punched people (friends) for...waking me up! Now, I'm old, calm & deliberate. I'm unsure if that's a sign of maturity or just having the reflexes...of a turtle.
    oldskeetshooter likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    experience says that when i am exposed to unexpected loud noises or movement in close proximity my reaction is to duck and look around. i don't grip unless i feel that i might draw, i have no explanation as to why, it`s just what i have observed myself doing when i'm startled.

i was at an outdoor festival once and surrounded by friends who all know not to grab at me without warning, i was in a pretty relaxed mood. out of nowhere i see an arm reaching around my head as if someone was trying to put me in a choke hold, i ducked while turning and backing away at the same time, placing my hand over my shirt covering my pistol to retain it.

turns out it was a man and his wife who wanted me to take their picture. they were just as startled as i was and imminently backed off, showing their palms and saying sorry, sorry. the wife had a camera dangling from her wrist.

it was apparent that they were both drunk and just feeling real friendly, the husband apparently thought that i looked the most approachable out of the group and decided he would "reach out" and make a new friend. he was expecting a lot from a total stranger IMO, or perhaps i'm just too jumpy.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

My initial reaction is to stiffen and prepare for action.

Story to illustrate: I was walking across the campus where I teach, and a student slipped behind the corner of a building. I like to leave space between myself and the wall... When I came to the corner, he jumped out and said something akin to "boo!"

My initial reaction was to sidestep, and start to fling my cup of hot coffee in his face. Luckily for both of us, I had processed the situation before I completed the action of flinging the coffee, but I did spill some from the action of flinging/suddenly stopping.

I won't lie, though, I do occasionally startle in a less graceful manner, but my typical reaction is to prepare for defense.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    As a young man, I've punched people (friends) for...waking me up! Now, I'm old, calm & deliberate. I'm unsure if that's a sign of maturity or just having the reflexes...of a turtle.
    You are not fooling me..I am old too. I know exactly what you mean.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

I have been married over 27 years. My wife knows my history and for some reason the other day, she thought it would be funny to jump out from behind a corner when I was walking in the house. She didn't know I had a 1911 cocked and locked in my right hand.

I didn't raise the weapon but she did surprise me. She also turned white as a sheet when she realized how that whole mess could have gone down.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Sounds like cqc. surprise combat. cant run, cant hide, so fight ! awareness factor plays a part also. My 2c..

Fortunately my brain seems to work super fast in startling situations, I'm the least-jumpy person I know. While they're still in the "*** was that!?"-mode, I'm explaining what it was.

I guess I usually stiffen a bit and wait for further information. A friend came up behind me in the gas station the other day and poked me from behind and that's what I did then. I felt a little dumb for letting him sneak up on me though.
    A limb fell out of a tree in the woods at dad's house and about took out his power line - the whole pole was rocking! The line didn't break, but it must've caused a short because a transformer (I assume) in the not-too-far distance blew. My dad came up the hill asking what the sound was and I already knew. He would have figured it out in a couple more minutes when he realized the power was out.
    I had my arm out reaching for something near a friend at work and he leaned over a bit and growled and acted like he might bite my arm, I didn't pull back my arm like you might expect, but just calmly gave him the most god-awful "do it and die" look. I found it pretty funny, but he was probably looking for a squealy-girly reaction lol
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links