What is your instinctual reaction to a dangerous threat while carrying?

This is a discussion on What is your instinctual reaction to a dangerous threat while carrying? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Say you're carrying at home when you hear a door being kicked in, or walking down the street and suddenly a guy is running at ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: What is your instinctual reaction to a dangerous threat while carrying?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

What is your instinctual reaction to a dangerous threat while carrying?

Say you're carrying at home when you hear a door being kicked in, or walking down the street and suddenly a guy is running at you swinging a bat, or you're in the mall and hear gun shots very close by. Think of a hypothetical or actual situation similar and tell us what your instinctual reaction was. Duck/grip/draw/run/etc.

My instinct is to duck and grip, then once I realize I am tunneling my vision I force myself to look around and assess the environment.

I am running a companion thread about being startled but not being endangered here:

What do you do when you are startled? Not necessarily about being armed.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

My first instinct is to make space and evaluate.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Once again, I am moving off the x to avoid being hit and evaluating from there. My gun will be out before I stop my movement. That is if I see the individual and the weapon.

If its a "sneak attack" and I do not see it coming, then all I can hope for is that I am not knocked out and can respond accordingly.

It is impossible to see everything all the time...
    USM1976, 40Bob and airslot like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Three choices 1= run 2= hide 3= fight, Any or all could apply.

Quote Originally Posted by sealteam20001 View Post
    Three choices 1= run 2= hide 3= fight, Any or all could apply.
    If the gunfire starts unexpectedly I'm probably doing #2 (see what I did there?) first and then reevaluating.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

The only possible way I would be in a mall is if dragged there by wife or daughterinlaws. I would get them out as fast as possible call 911 go for tacos.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Say you're carrying at home when you hear a door being kicked in, or walking down the street and suddenly a guy is running at you swinging a bat, or you're in the mall and hear gun shots very close by. Think of a hypothetical or actual situation similar and tell us what your instinctual reaction was. Duck/grip/draw/run/etc.

My instinct is to duck and grip, then once I realize I am tunneling my vision I force myself to look around and assess the environment.

I am running a companion thread about being startled but not being endangered here:

What do you do when you are startled? Not necessarily about being armed.
    "Return fire as directed or required."

Then render aid.

It's difficult to say without a specific set of circumstances. Outside the home, my first reaction would probably be to run. I'm not in the mood for a confrontation and generally, even with a gun, you're at a disadvantage. If not at the time of the incident, you will be by the time you snake your way through our legal system.

Inside the home is a different story. If somebody kicks in my door, I doubt that I will retreat very far and a confrontation would be very likely.
    Betty and ShooterGranny like this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member
    I hope I would be focused enough to duck and grip as you stated. But finding cover might be first on the agenda.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

VIP Member
    Most of the time I've got two little ones around, so my first priority is their safety. So I guess my first instinctive reaction is thinking about my proximity to family and the danger's proximity to family and putting myself in the position to defend.
    Zeebra724 likes this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Distinguished Member
    For starters, I usually get an instantaneous bout of gas followed shortly by unsettling noises from my belly. ie: being startled but not being endangered.

Is this what you mean?
    Stoveman and oldnfat like this.
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

My first rection to gunfire is duck and cover. My first reaction to a door kicked in is "Oh my!" My first reaction to my door kicked in is gun-up and investigate. My first reaction to someone running at me swining a bat is to put some distance between us.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    Most of the time I've got two little ones around, so my first priority is their safety. So I guess my first instinctive reaction is thinking about my proximity to family and the danger's proximity to family and putting myself in the position to defend.
    This! If I'm by myself and out of the house then I'm looking for cover and the threat. I'm not drawing my gun though until I see the threat. LEO's who may happen to be on the scene can't automatically tell a good guy from a bad guy, especially in civilian clothes.

If I'm at home and the door gets bashed in then I'm securing my family first, have them call 911, and addressing the threat with my EDC drawn (or better yet if I have time to grab it my MAK90) and ready to use if needed as a worst case scenario situation.

Oh, and the random guy swinging a bat scenario: I get out of his way and next step use my hands to defend myself before even thinking of drawing my EDC in SD.

My instinctual reaction is the same as everybody else's. That's why they're called "instincts". Distance, concealment & cover are calculated moves. IMHO, training & experience will make the transition from first reaction to wise tactics faster, but we've all just got two instincts - fight or flight.
    Poorly and miller_man like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Distance...
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links