Good friend/Neighbor had incident the other night

This is a discussion on Good friend/Neighbor had incident the other night within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A good friend of mine (we are both 24, and we both live at our parent's houses for the time being) had an incident the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Good friend/Neighbor had incident the other night

A good friend of mine (we are both 24, and we both live at our parent's houses for the time being) had an incident the other night. We live in a "nice" neighborhood/area that doesnt really have much crime. He told me that at around midnight, while the family was sleeping, they heard pounding at their front door. They walk up to the fawyer, and hear the voices of what sounded like 4-5 males. Then listened another few seconds, and heard patio furniture moving around, stuff being thrown around, and more yelling.

They called the police, and armed themselves (my friend recently also got into shooting, and has gotten quite a few nice weapons such as a Glock 19, Mossberg 500, M&P 15 AR), and waited for the people to either break in or leave. They finally left without trying to break in, and the police showed up a few minutes after.

Turns out that the group of people were just some kids being a nuisance in the neighborhood. Dont know their exact age or names, but the officer told them that they were all under 18 and just out causing trouble, but didnt have any sort of criminal intent, and he was just lucky that those kids didnt accidentally get blasted by a 12ga due to just acting like an idiot.

Goes to show, when you hear someone at the door, you never know whats on the other side. Could be a pack of girl scouts, a bunch of idiot kids, or an axe murderer.

I guess there was no point to this story, but definitely interesting to see how dumb people can be. If they would have busted down the door, or came in through a window and got blasted by an AR15, Im sure it would have been in the newspapers and on TV as some crazy gun owners gunning down innocent kids with an AR-15.

VIP Member
    Your neighbor did the right thing in determining what the others were going to do, before he overreacted.
    Calling the cops, staying inside and waiting for the other party to make the next aggressive move was wise.

The punks may not be so lucky next night.
    Sad they can't wise up soon.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

They're pounding on his front door, yelling & tossing stuff around on his patio at midnight? How's the homeowner supposed to guess that they didn't have any "criminal intent"? Sounds like the ideal job for SGS ("Super German Shepherd"). Or maybe a good wetting-down with a garden hose? IMHO, unconfronted, unaccountable punks sometimes become... emboldened felons. It may be easier to change their minds while they're still teenagers.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Toss a cherry bomb out the door or through a window.

Of course you would likely have a mess or two to clean up in the morning.

Just kidding. Your neighbor did the right thing. I probably would have turned on an outside light to illuminate the scene and temporarily cause some night blindness if, in fact, there was a legitimate threat that needed a response.
    carracer, oneshot and GlockHawk17 like this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    I guess those kids were lucky your neighbor didn't take the advice of Joe Biden.

You friend and his family did the proper thing...armed, called police, and waited.
    Aceoky likes this.

VIP Member
    It's a good thing they didn't show up at Joe Biden's house!
    HAGJewels, XD40SCiinNC and Aceoky like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodad View Post
    Toss a cherry bomb out the door or through a window.

Of course you would likely have a mess or two to clean up in the morning.

Just kidding. Your neighbor did the right thing. I probably would have turned on an outside light to illuminate the scene and temporarily cause some night blindness if, in fact, there was a legitimate threat that needed a response.
    My two pits would have been let out for a midnight snack!

This happened to me about 20yrs ago. Four thugs in my yard around midnight and when I confronted them they threatened me and told me to stay inside. It was about 60sec after that that my dog had a mouthful of one of their butts. When the deputy arrived he laughed out loud when I told him and gave my dog a good pat on the head and a "That's good boy!"

-
    blitzburgh likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I hope the "kids" learn a lesson from this. They should have been charged with trespassing at the very least. A court appearance and some community service time might help get the point across. If nothing was done it will happen again most likely. Next time could be a deadly encounter for them.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

VIP Member
    I guess the Tampa Police Department doesn't consider disturbing the peace, trespassing and vandalism to be bad enough criminal behavior in the youths of their city to warrant making an arrest.

The youth of this country really needs to be taught right from wrong and how to behave properly.
    carracer and BadgerJ like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by Stirling XD View Post
    I guess those kids were lucky your neighbor didn't take the advice of Joe Biden.
    Based on some recent news stories, I'd say the neighbor was lucky he didn't take the advice of Joe Biden.
    Chuck808 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    My two pits would have been let out for a midnight snack!

This happened to me about 20yrs ago. Four thugs in my yard around midnight and when I confronted them they threatened me and told me to stay inside. It was about 60sec after that that my dog had a mouthful of one of their butts. When the deputy arrived he laughed out loud when I told him and gave my dog a good pat on the head and a "That's good boy!"

-
    I too had (one died months ago) two male pit bulls from the same litter. Respectively around 80 lbs and 100 lbs. If their spidey senses tingled, I'd turn on all the outdoor lights and let them out and wait to hear the screams.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    I hope the "kids" learn a lesson from this. They should have been charged with trespassing at the very least. A court appearance and some community service time might help get the point across. If nothing was done it will happen again most likely. Next time could be a deadly encounter for them.
    I agree 100% - The fact these kids weren't issued a citation for disorderly conduct, breech of peace, etc. is just beyond me. A court appearance and also having to either pay a fine (ideally, if not out of their summer job income, parents pay and they have to bust their ass to the point of damn near child labor violations around the house) and/or community service would show them their actions have consequences and they will be held accountable for them.

I also think it should be pointed out to them that their little games could of got them killed, just in case being held accountable by way of fine/community service doesn't quite do the trick.
    BlueHawk76 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

In Texas Mischief during the night can get your ass shot,I guess thats why we don't seem to have too much of it
    Snub44 and bigdogtx like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Are punji pits illegal? They might serve as an excellent educational tool for such misguided youths.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Your buddy did the right thing. Couldn't have come with a better outcome. Stay frosty!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links