Saw Interesting Incident

Saw Interesting Incident

This is a discussion on Saw Interesting Incident within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened a few months ago, and ended up being a non-event, so I didn't post it, but now I'm bored, so here goes. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Saw Interesting Incident

Saw Interesting Incident

This happened a few months ago, and ended up being a non-event, so I didn't post it, but now I'm bored, so here goes.

I had just finished loading my groceries into my car, and had just put my cart ("buggy" in these parts) in the cart return when I heard someone in a command voice shout "Stop!"

I immediately turned my head to see what was up, but didn't see anyone. About a second later I hear footsteps rapidly approaching from the lane across from where I was parked.

I then saw a girl run into view holding a purse, and hear footsteps behind her. About a second later, a store manager ran into view, apparently chasing the girl.

They past me at about 7 yards distance. They continued running past for about 15 seconds, until the girl realized she was running right toward a fence. She gave up, and the two walked back toward the store.

I learned several things from the incident:

1. I didn't have the slightest temptation to involve myself in this situation, other than by being a good witness.

2. Foot chases involving very overweight , very out of shape individuals are painfully slow.

3. You can very easily end upon the middle of a situation you don't want to be in (if I would have been a couple of yards closer, I would have been in their way).
    perfection, 357and40 and oldman45 like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

hahaha.. I have also found myself without the slightest temptation to get involved. Even more so now that I have a little one on the way. I got a chuckle out of number 2. I have seen two overweight and very out of shape individuals talk junk about who would win in a footrace between the two of them. The following foot race was one for the ages.

Being a good witness is a good thing!!!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

I'm bored, too...

Back when I was a , I had just walked out of an exit at a Walmart with my wife and looked back to see 2 Walmart employees (not cops) grab an apparent shoplifter. He had barely exited and they timed it perfectly so that each of them took an arm at exactly the same time. They kind of thrust their arm under his armpit really tight and he did not resist. There was always a cop car parked in front of this Walmart and/or one of those crazy mobile police towers. But those obviously weren't having the desired effect. He also was bigger than they were and if he had tried to resist, one would think he could have gotten away. He looked scared, and they looked mean.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    looked back to see 2 Walmart employees (not cops) grab an apparent shoplifter.
    Unless this is legal in that jurisdiction, this would have been a good time for pepper spray before the grab. I hate shoplifting as much as the next person, but the rules against this still apply for a reason.

It was about 1985. I was 10. My dad and I were exiting a K-Mart in Kansas City. We got about 25 feet outside the store when a young man came running out the door behind us. A store security guard was hot on his heels and tackled him onto the pavement. They rolled around on the ground and the shoplifter was subdued. It was over before I knew what was going in. Things happen fast. Made my head spin.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    There are times when it is best to be a good witness. There are also times when it may be beneficial to get involved. The difference is in having the wisdom to know the difference and know it very quickly.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Quote Originally Posted by OneDream View Post
    It was about 1985. I was 10. My dad and I were exiting a K-Mart in Kansas City. We got about 25 feet outside the store when a young man came running out the door behind us. A store security guard was hot on his heels and tackled him onto the pavement. They rolled around on the ground and the shoplifter was subdued. It was over before I knew what was going in. Things happen fast. Made my head spin.
    My brother had a full ride scholarship for track, so he was pretty fast. He used to work security at a Montgomery-Wards store. Many times he would chase down a shop lifter and either run them till they got tired and quit, or trip them as he ran next to them. On time he was chasing a lady shop lifter and decided to grab he by the hair. When he did her wig came off. He was laughing so hard he almost let her get away.
    Glock2201 likes this.

No body should get hurt for a property crime. Get a license number and call it in. LOL about chasing land whales.
    Hodad likes this.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy1933 View Post
    No body should get hurt for a property crime. Get a license number and call it in. LOL about chasing land whales.
    Being a BG comes with its risk.
    MrsHB, Mjr_Fail, rocky and 2 others like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Worked retail for 20 years and back before all this PC stuff we used to have the greatest time chasing down shoplifters. One of the funniest was a big old fatty trying to steal a case of beer and run with it. Funny how the biggest tough guys would cry like babies after they were caught.

I worked in retail back in the 80s and 90s and the biggest threat to store profitability wasn't shoplifting; it was "shrink" - paperwork errors! If you forgot to log in a truck delivery, that was around $50,000 worth of merchandise that just 'disappeared'. Or if you processed a price change incorrectly, that could also be thousands of lost dollars. Chasing down shoplifters is small time and not worth the effort and costs.

Once that girl was outside the store, the manager had no legal right to detain her (ok, maybe since she was still on store property in the parking lot, the store could argue she hadn't left the premises.)

Nowadays, tackling someone is a sure way to get sued. I'm definitely against shoplifters and the only reason the people in the above incidents gave up is because they felt guilty and realized what they had done was wrong. Someone who was hell-bent on getting away could deck the manager and go on his merry way.

Of course, I might have stuck my foot out and 'accidentally' tripped the fleeing shoplifter...oops! (Just sayin'!)
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

The rules regarding shrinkage have changed drastically in the past 20 years. In a better day in our nation's history, a store like WalMart would employ security personnel who could, and often did, apprehend shoplifters outside the store and physically drag their worthless asses back into the store to wait on the cops.

Today? It is an immediate firing offense for any employee to touch a shoplifter. Period. They can follow them into the parking lot, get license plate numbers, see where they are walking, etc., but they cannot do ANYTHING to detain them. The liberals have made shoplifting an entitlement with full rights.

I work in a big box store right now and while my company does not actively engage in detentions (company wide policy not to) every other store around us does chase and detain shoplifters. We even had a loss prevention guy from the store next door chase someone into our store and tackle them INSIDE our store. And my local Wal-Mart is always chasing and holding people. They have several guys just for that.
    Aceoky likes this.

Why would anyone instantly jump into a situation of someone running from a store with someone chasing them ? Assess, watch, analyze... then decide.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links