Did I overreact?

This is a discussion on Did I overreact? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Earlier tonight I was in my garage and heard a thud and then what sounded like someone bumping into my garbage or recycle can. It ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Did I overreact?

Did I overreact?

Earlier tonight I was in my garage and heard a thud and then what sounded like someone bumping into my garbage or recycle can. It was about 12:30 am. The gate on my fence got out of whack and I can't latch it. I haven't fixed it yet, I just have a bungee cord keeping it closed so my dogs don't get out. Out of laziness both my trash and recycle cans are in the driveway right in front of the garage door. So, I heard a thump followed by the sound of glass rattling. I assumed it was the recycle because there may be a few beer bottles in there lol. My front light is on a motion sensor, but it is possible to walk up on the far side of the yard without activating it. I didn't have a gun on my person, but I immediately came in and grabbed the XDsc. I turned on the outside lights, but its really hard to see much from inside. I let my 75 pound catahoula outside to check it out. She did start barking, but I still didn't see anything. So I called 911 and had them send an officer out. I didn't go outside until he arrived. He had checked all around the yard and didn't see anyone. I live on a quiet cul-de-sac and feel relatively safe here. I'm just looking for a little feed back to see if I handled the situation right. I also saw a damn mouse in the garage. I figured setting a mouse trap would be more effective than chasing it down with the 12ga, lol.
    ArmyCop likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I think you did the right thing.. IMO, if there's a noise from outside the house, call the police, that's what they get paid to do. If there's someone in your house arm yourself, call the police and hunker down, that's what they get paid to do. Oh' and kill the mouse with extreme malice.
    srings likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I hate raccoons, they get into everything
    atctimmy likes this.

Yeah raccoons. Later I did think maybe it was a raccoon. But I have lived here for 9 years and have only seen one, the night my dog fought with one.

When I lived in an apartment I would always take my trash to the cans late at night (I work nights so that's when I'm awake) raccoons are my arch nemisis, my hatred is almost genocidal towards them, ruined many a pair of lucky under shorts cause.of em

If you felt the need to call 911 for an unidentifiable thud at your home, that is your call, not any of ours.

The main thing is that you did get your gun, and were ready in case it was something significant that was going to involve you or your family. However, some would argue that putting the dog out there is just plain mean if it were a bad guy. But a dog is a dog, and certainly more replaceable than you or any family member.

Times like this, I am glad that I have 360 degree video surveillance of my home and office. A quick punch of a couple of buttons on the tv remotes and I can immediately see if it is a 4 legged or 2 legged critter.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

...my only gripes are that you didn't have your gun on you...you knew that was coming...and that you didn't mention a powerful flashlight...if you can't see it, you can't shoot it...

...whatever it was...worked out fine this time...
    StormRhydr, JDE101, jcm and 1 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...my only gripes are that you didn't have your gun on you...you knew that was coming...and that you didn't mention a powerful flashlight...if you can't see it, you can't shoot it...

...whatever it was...worked out fine this time...
    Snub, clean out your PM box. I cannot reply til you do.
    Snub44 likes this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HemiCoupl View Post
    When I lived in an apartment I would always take my trash to the cans late at night (I work nights so that's when I'm awake) raccoons are my arch nemisis, my hatred is almost genocidal towards them, ruined many a pair of lucky under shorts cause.of em

Lucky undershorts?

Possibly a thread starter on a different kind of forum....
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Sounds like you did it right.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

I will add one thing; Id TURN OUT the lights in the area I was in trying to observe a potential threat. You dont want to give your position away, and present a nice target for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggyd33 View Post
    Yeah raccoons. Later I did think maybe it was a raccoon. But I have lived here for 9 years and have only seen one, the night my dog fought with one.
    Raccoons are experts at not being seen - it's how they survive. If it was just your trash being rattled, it probably was in fact a raccoon. I wouldn't bother calling the police in such a situation, myself. The dog and the gun would be plenty for me.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

My friend once pulled a .44 magnum on his garbage man in the early morning. oh and he ran outside naked too! AWKWARD!!!!!! but you can't be too careful.
    jerp likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sawfiler View Post
    My friend once pulled a .44 magnum on his garbage man in the early morning. oh and he ran outside naked too! AWKWARD!!!!!! but you can't be too careful.
    I've never made it all the way outside naked before, but there's been a couple times where I half-expected to surprise a BG in my birthday suit.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

You did well, Grasshopper, with the exception that you should have been armed to begin with! Remember, "100% of home invasions occur at home"! I learned that here on this forum several years ago and have kept myself armed at home, as well as when I go out, since then!
    airslot and phreddy like this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links