Food for Thought

Food for Thought

This is a discussion on Food for Thought within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off, this did not happen to me but happened to a friend last Thursday night. I may or may not post what I think ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Food for Thought

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar

Food for Thought

First off, this did not happen to me but happened to a friend last Thursday night. I may or may not post what I think I would have done but I will say what he did.

John went to eat with his wife and teenage son at a Mexican restaurant that sells about as much alcoholic beverages as they do food. They sat at a table in a corner that held four people. As they were about to finish their meal (no drinks), an argument began at the table next to them between two men, apparently friends before the alcohol took over. Both men got into each other's face. Within seconds, one pulled a fixed blade hunting knife from a scabbard and was about to cut up the other man. This was less eight feet from the table my friend and his family were sitting.

So we have a man about to stab another man. We have a man carrying concealed less than eight feet away.

What would you do? My friend and I discussed this in depth today as he wanted my take on it and what I would have done.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Get the family out of dodge, call the cops and be a good witness. I don't involve myself with drunk idiots.
    JDE101, tdave, ccw9mm and 10 others like this.
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home. Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor. RSO. Travelin' Man.

What ZeBool said. I carry to protect myself and my family - period. I'm not a LEO, nor do I want to act like one.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Disappear as quickly as possible...
    OD*, Rock and Glock and archer51 like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Get the family out, and one the way get a quick video of the combatants. The phone has a quick button to start video and there is no flash. Once I had the family in the car, I would do a quick walk of the parking lot to video the license plates.

VIP Member
    Flash my conceal-carry badge and lay down suppressing fire.

No, not really. What ZeBool (and everybody else) said.

When the argument started to occur would have been the time to relocate with the family.

The fact that both had sat there for a period of time and been drinking, then started arguing would cause me to hesitate considerably before getting involved.

What I fear you would end up with if you intervened before anyone got stabbed would be his buddy taking up for the stabber after he sobered up. Saying something on the order of oh heck Billy Bob does that kind of stuff all the time, and he has never stabbed me yet.
    JDE101 likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

The Snagglepuss defense:
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Flash my conceal-carry badge and lay down suppressing fire.

No, not really. What ZeBool (and everybody else) said.
    I don't know, this may call for the Concealed Carry sash AND badge...
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Distinguished Member
    Stand up and loudly proclaim " free drinks for everyone at the bar" This would surely end any conflict. Really, ZeBool said it best. Tell us what your friend did. The suspense is killing me!
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

VIP Member
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Being only 8 feet away it would seem that your friend and his family were quite a ways from being at a safe distance. All I can say is that if there was a clear way out that the path doesn't put me or my family any closer to the incident then I would try and make for the door. And in the process, if he looked as if he was going to turn his aggression on me or my family on our way out, he's going to face deadly force. 8 ft. is only a good lunge away so hopefully his focus would remain on his original argument. It's all going to rest on how I view the threat to my family but the first choice would be to get them away from the situation.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    As soon as to poop was hitting the fan that was time to get out . Call the police as you and your family are leaving . Or call GZ
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member
    Shoot them both and let the police sort it out!

Seriously though, get the family to safety and call 911. I'm not knife or bullet proof and it isn't my fight.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Two types of heartburn at play here, I'll take the food related heartburn as I give those two drunks plenty of space.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links