Had to help out a friend recently.

This is a discussion on Had to help out a friend recently. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live just outside the city limits of a medium sized town. We have some close friends (a "couple") in town that own and manage ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Had to help out a friend recently.

Had to help out a friend recently.

I live just outside the city limits of a medium sized town. We have some close friends (a "couple") in town that own and manage our favorite watering hole....your typical small local tavern.

About two weeks ago,"Lindy" was closing by herself because "Chad" was home with a severe stomach bug. She locked up and walked out to her vehicle a little after 2am, when a couple of guys, non-regulars that had been in the bar until close, started trying to chat her up. She continued to her vehicle, but they became insistent that she accompany them to a "party"... which of course she declined.

As she pulled out, they jumped into their vehicle and started following her. She was smart enough to not go directly home, instead she drove around randomly for a few minutes, hoping they would get the hint...but they became more aggressive...honking and trying to pull along side her.

Lindy and Chad are very liberal folks...never owned or shot a firearm, but in this situation, instead of calling the police, she called my house...she knew I had "guns", and my career choice involves a lot of time in really bad places.

She told me she was really scared, afraid to go home...and thought it would take longer to get to the closest police station, and that she was almost to my house.

I'm a night owl by nature, and was awake and dressed...except for shoes, when I got the call. I told her to keep coming...stay on the phone with me and just pull into my driveway and not stop for anything. I immediately woke up the wife, told her to call 911 and get them moving toward us. I threw on some shoes and grabbed my Sig556 SBR and went out the door.

My driveway is about 400 yards from the road to where we park. I went out the front door and jogged toward the road. I told her when I see her lights, I was going to drop the phone, but for her to go straight to the house.

Within a minute I saw her crest the hill and begin slowing to turn into my drive. I waited just off the edge so that she could see me once she turned...about 20 yards from the road...and sure enough the fellas were right behind her. She got past me, and I stepped into the center of my drive with the Sig at a low ready...as soon as the driver of the truck saw a man standing in the center of the drive, with what looks like a machine gun...he threw that truck into reverse with out coming to a full stop and floored it.

He backed out of my drive, across the road, and into a 6 foot ditch, which immediately ended their night of fun. I followed them to the end of my drive....they both jumped out of the truck, hands held high and begged me not to shoot. I had them climb out of the ditch and sit down with their hands on their heads until the Police arrived. It took the local Sheriffs Deputy about 15 minutes to arrive....both guys were exceedingly polite and apologetic....I'm sure being on the end of my Sig gave them a moment of pause and some time for self-reflection. They were both arrested for terroristic threatening, drunk and disorderly, and the driver was cited for driving under the influence. I heard the Deputy telling the morons that had they followed his wife home like at, he would have lit them up, and that they should be thankful I had more restraint.

Chad and Lindy have now instituted a new policy at the bar....they never, ever close alone.
    Last edited by Brace37; July 31st, 2013 at 03:39 PM.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I am glad this has a happy ending could have been a real losing situation . The only thing now is they know where you live hpoefully you scared them enough they won't even come close to your street .
    archer51 likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Welcome to the forum!

Glad your friend is okay.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member
    I am glad it turned out OK. I'm glad they didn't floor it and run over you when you stepped in front of them. I don't know your house or the setup, but I believe it would have been better to turn on all the outisde lights and stay on the porch or closer to the house to watch her come in, followed closely by you and wait until the police show up.

Chad and Lindy have now instituted a new policy at the bar....they never, ever close alone.
    That is a really good start, but how about training and firearms?
    msgt/ret, Aceoky, BugDude and 4 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brace37 View Post

Lindy and Chad are very liberal folks...never owned or shot a firearm

First off, welcome to the forum.

As to your liberal friends, it appears they only learned half of the lesson. I'm assuming they leave at the end of the day with daily receipts as well. Perfect target for a robbery, as well as in her case a possible abduction. While 2 people is somewhat safer than a lone person, someone determined to rob or abduct will not be deterred by that, a gun should be carried and they need to be prepared to use it if needed.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    I am glad it turned out OK. I'm glad they didn't floor it and run over you when you stepped in front of them. I don't know your house or the setup, but I believe it would have been better to turn on all the outisde lights and stay on the porch or closer to the house to watch her come in, followed closely by you and wait until the police show up.
    Good advice here. Also how long would it have taken you to get back home had they run you off the road and continued following Lindy? I suppose taking them by surprise and preventing them from getting access to the house was a sound option though. You should have had them in your sights and been ready to fire IMO vs being at low ready. You still did a great job though OP, I hope I would have done as well. Oh and I think BOTH your friends should have firearms on their person when closing the bar(as well as the training to use them).
    NONAME762 likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    What is "terroristic threading"?
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I actually thought about what I was going to do if they kept coming forward...my drive is tree lined, so I hoped I'd have enough time to move to cover while firing on the vehicle. You can't see my house from the road...or until your about 3/4 down the drive. My asphalt drive is hard to see, and it looks like a single lane road...and even the "Private Drive" signs are often ignored by people that make it 3/4 of the way down the drive before they realize its a dead end. I think the "No Trespassing" signs are the first to get noticed. I have a pressure plate about 60 yards from the road that tells me I have visitors...a driveway doorbell. Then you have to get past my boys, Frick and Frak, 3 yr old professionally trained Belgian Malinois.

They are still as liberal/anti-gun as ever....I offered to help them pick out a weapon and train with it, but no chance. Chad's Father owns the bar, and a pizza shop, and a coffee/sandwich shop on the same block...and his sons (Chad and his brothers) run the businesses. They've always consolidated their daily recipes and have professional service do their pickups.

VIP Member
    I have been a victim of many break-ins thefts . I don't need any other reason to arm myself i get the hint. To bad they don't get the hint .
    Snub44 and NONAME762 like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

...sounds like something we'd do 'round here!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    What is "terroristic threading"?
    mprp, OldVet, Aceoky and 2 others like this.

...knowing that she was being followed by a vehicle full of drunks...you led her to YOUR HOUSE?

...maybe next time, direct her to a fire station, an all-night gas station, a hospital, ANYTHING but where YOUR family lives...

...after that incident, if they still won't become personally involved in their own safety, I'm done helping them...we can only do so much with that mindset...then they have to smell the tiger's breath before they'll wake up and step up...why jeapordize yourself and your family for those who care no more for themselves or each other than that?

First of all I want to welcome you to the forum and I'm glad that your friend is OK. So don't get me wrong here but....

Oh No no no no! So when the rubber hits the road here liberals want to hide behind us for protection? I don't think so. Shouldn't they be practicing and living what they vote for? Dial 911 and wait the 15 minutes. It's in the liberal handbook. Again, don't get me wrong here but I think Chad needs to grow a set, stop living in Utopialand and learn how to protect his own family. I live here in CA and these stories filled with hypocrisy rub me the wrong way because I have to personally deal with the limits and stripped rights set in motion by the same type. Hopefully this eye-opening experience has the potential to sway their way of thinking and settling them in to reality. If not then I'd tell her to stay away from my house with the riff raff that follows her home and get in the fetal position along side her husband. I wish no ill will on anyone, but I certainly have my own family to worry about.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Well Done!!
    Typical DGU- No shots fired and potential harm to an innocent citizen prevented.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    Dangit! Now I know what I need! Is there a 1-800-TankTrap ordering service?
    Glad the friends have at least started to wise up though. Surprised it took something like this for them to realize they shouldn't be closing a bar alone...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links