what would you do

This is a discussion on what would you do within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Real situation and want some opinions on how differently others would have handled this experience. Brief background: 11:30pm, 2 kids (3 & 5) sleeping opposite ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: what would you do

what would you do

Real situation and want some opinions on how differently others would have handled this experience. Brief background: 11:30pm, 2 kids (3 & 5) sleeping opposite side of house, wife in bed reading, I am in bathroom packing for a business trip (leaving early in the morning). We both hear what sounds like our pool screen door close (which is outside our bedroom window and blinds are closed). We continue to hear noise / rumbling outside on our pool deck, and again some noise which sounds like someone /thing outside our window. Sounds continue on for another minute and also seem to perhaps be now coming from the side of our house. Here is what my action was: turned off all interior lights, turned on exterior floods, armed myself with a firearm and tactical flashlight, and made multiple but quick attempts to gain visibility to the pool deck by looking through the blinds and moving across the house to gain a different angle. Nothing was observed despite still hearing noises. At this time approximately 5 minutes had passed so I called 911. Impressively 2 LEO arrived in under 2 minutes and began to sweep my property. After about 4 minutes the 911 operator instructed me to secure my firearm and exit the house to meet the officers. They had found the cause...a raccoon that honestly must have pushed 40 lbs. My question to everyone is what would you have done? As much as I have taken a ribbing by everyone, I still can't justify exploring this sound at night by myself with a wife and two kids. Thoughts.
    ArmyCop and gottabkiddin like this.

2. Remove Ads

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    You did what i would have done.Call 911.How did you know what it was?Going outside surely wouldn't be very bright.Not much else you can do.

Did they charge the raccoon? Lol i'm just kidding.At least it was nothing more
    Sister and MasterGadgets like this.

Have the wife call 911 while I collect the kids, and bring them to the safe room. Wait for the cavalry to arrive.

I would've secured my firearm... in my holster.
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home. Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor. RSO. Travelin' Man.

Exactly what you should do...no contact until a thug tries to enter the house....you didn't mention it, but did you leave your children in the rooms on the opposite side of the house ?? It would be tragic indeed had someone broken into the house, the children were awakened, and entered the shooting zone....possibly very tragic...just a thought...

I can't think of any good reason for going outside in that situation.

And with a 40 lb raccoon outside the Monday morning quarterback in me says well played.

I think you did the right thing. Call 911 and stay inside with the wife and kids to protect them. Let the pros handle the outside!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

thanks for feedback, and USM1976 I did leave the kids asleep in their beds. great point, along with ZeBool, to have pulled them to a safe location / safe room and not have the family split apart with an unknown threat. Definitely something I missed during this event but not a mistake I will make again.
    USM1976 and niks like this.

I would have shot the raccoon and had a good supper. If I didn't live in the country, I'd probably take your approach.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Qtip View Post
    I would have shot the raccoon and had a good supper. If I didn't live in the country, I'd probably take your approach.
    They eat racoon in Mississippi/Tennessee?
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I must say, the only racoon I tried tasted ....like something I cant post here. Stunk the entire house up, too. Of course the coon hunter who baked the thing wasnt known for being much of a cook.

Id say the depression will have to get lots worse before folks start eating those. Btw, they dont come easy either. Not unless you have a pack of coon hounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    They eat racoon in Mississippi/Tennessee?

My very first thought, honestly, was an obese raccoon. Really.
    9MMare and Sister like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    My very first thought, honestly, was an obese raccoon. Really.
    Same here. Coons and skunks hereabouts all the time in the summer.
    9MMare likes this.
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    I must say, the only racoon I tried tasted ....like something I cant post here. Stunk the entire house up, too. Of course the coon hunter who baked the thing wasnt known for being much of a cook.

Id say the depression will have to get lots worse before folks start eating those. Btw, they dont come easy either. Not unless you have a pack of coon hounds.
    They come easy around here. Since I don't eat them, I see no point in shooting them.
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mick13 View Post
    Real situation and want some opinions on how differently others would have handled this experience. Brief background: 11:30pm, 2 kids (3 & 5) sleeping opposite side of house, wife in bed reading, I am in bathroom packing for a business trip (leaving early in the morning). We both hear what sounds like our pool screen door close (which is outside our bedroom window and blinds are closed). We continue to hear noise / rumbling outside on our pool deck, and again some noise which sounds like someone /thing outside our window. Sounds continue on for another minute and also seem to perhaps be now coming from the side of our house. Here is what my action was: turned off all interior lights, turned on exterior floods, armed myself with a firearm and tactical flashlight, and made multiple but quick attempts to gain visibility to the pool deck by looking through the blinds and moving across the house to gain a different angle. Nothing was observed despite still hearing noises. At this time approximately 5 minutes had passed so I called 911. Impressively 2 LEO arrived in under 2 minutes and began to sweep my property. After about 4 minutes the 911 operator instructed me to secure my firearm and exit the house to meet the officers. They had found the cause...a raccoon that honestly must have pushed 40 lbs. My question to everyone is what would you have done? As much as I have taken a ribbing by everyone, I still can't justify exploring this sound at night by myself with a wife and two kids. Thoughts.
    First coon?
    Tuco

Distinguished Member
    You did the right thing, coons can be rabid. Just last Christmas I talked with a lady that had been bitten by a rabid coon.

btw, they taste like chicken.
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links