Man runs off with your baby, what to do?

This is a discussion on Man runs off with your baby, what to do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Babies are resilient. Carrier is protective. Drop height is minimal. If you've got the shot, take it....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Man runs off with your baby, what to do?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Babies are resilient. Carrier is protective. Drop height is minimal. If you've got the shot, take it.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Take the shot (several). You endanger the safety of my children you are going to die...I will deal with the consequenses later.

DRT. But why shoot? I'd give him a good shove into traffic. Possibly stumble, as I knocked him down, and fall on the back of his neck. Much less paperwork........

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Babies are resilient. Carrier is protective. Drop height is minimal. If you've got the shot, take it.
    Thats what I have pictured in my mind. I think the baby would be safe enough in the carrier to survive a drop, and I can't imagine a BG running with the carrier up to his chest like he might if the baby was out in the open, but who knows.

Great responses everyone, its fun to see the opinions. I appreciate it!

Our baby girl of 3 months is always in a car seat when we go out. It's one of those that snap into a base in the car and can be used with a stroller as well as fitting nicely onto a shopping cart.

I have thought about this senario to the point that I have actually dropped it onto the driveway while running and even with about 15lbs in it it will mearly skidd abit but will not tumble like Ryan Newman's car down the frontstrecth at Daytona.

That being said I take the shot!!

Thanks

+1. You are right on. There is a reason they are called "bouncing babies" they are very resilient! Many years as an ER RN, have seen this over and over, as I am sure you have as well paramedic.

As for me, first shot nice and steady in the golden moment of target opportunity at a reasonable range. Then close the distance (should be easier now) and apply whatever force is necessary to end the situation. Yes, this is a wretched person, stealing an infant.

I wonder... as in other scenarios of this type, even if we have come to terms with the possibility of shooting a family member/spouse, how many liberal DA's out there would view your actions as an atrocity and file charges against you? I don't think this would change my actions, as I couldn't live with myself for not acting, but the aftermath may be even worse than we imagine. Time for a good attorney!!!

Dave.

Shoot

COLORADO

18-1-704 Use Of Physical Force In Defense Of A Person

c) The other person is committing or reasonably appears about to commit kidnapping 18-3-301 or 18-3-302, robbery as defined in section 18-4-301 or 18-4-302, sexual 18-3-402 or 18-3-403, or assault as defined in sections 18-3-202 or 18-3-203.
    Last edited by FireMedicRogers; November 29th, 2006 at 02:55 PM.

Man in gorilla suit snatches child in supermarket...

People ARE strange!

http://www.wbir.com/news/national/st...?storyid=38890

Saw it on TV awhile back, video too!

I would open fire without hesitation, if someone I don't know approaches my family in public it sends me on high alert. My wife will fight just as hard, so your scenario would probably result in 2 people firing on said idiot.
    Last edited by Greg Dunn; November 29th, 2006 at 06:46 PM.
    Ranger Gunleather

If light rails were needed on handguns John Browning would have included it on the 1911.

i prob will shoot for his butt. I never been shot in the butt but gettin kicked in the butt hurts imagin a bullet. That will not kill him but slow him down a bunch.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elrey718 View Post
    i prob will shoot for his butt. I never been shot in the butt but gettin kicked in the butt hurts imagin a bullet. That will not kill him but slow him down a bunch.
    I would caution against not shooting center of mass to stop the threat. In VA for example, shooting someone with any intent other than to stop them is illegal and will find you in jail. It will also find you paying most likely everything you have to the would be criminal for the rest of his life. I'm not sure I know of any state where it is legal to use deadly force to intentionally wound someone.

Shoot to stop the threat, aim center of mass for your best chance of doing exactly that.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

My wife and I have actually had this discussion recently and I would shoot. Like others said, kidnapping don't usually end up going well for the child. I'd take the shot and hope not to hit my boy as opposed to giving chase. I don't run very well.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    We need to remember that kid snatches like the scenario envisions are ultra-rare. Not to take away from the scenario, but make plans to otherwise protect your kids. Just the other day I was told to NOT use the Tot-Finder stickers the fire departments gives out, because it will mark your kid's room for a predator. Maybe I'll put the sticker on MY window instead.

Also be ever vigilant of a predator luring your child away while in public. Distances encountered/friendlies may preclude using your sidearm.
    Last edited by paramedic70002; November 30th, 2006 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Completed my thought
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Just the other day I was told to NOT use the Tot-Finder stickers the fire departments gives out, because it will mark your kid's room for a predator.
    It's amazing how something that starts out with such good intentions can get twisted and used against you.

Don't even have to think about it. Asshat is getting shot. A lot of times.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links