Man runs off with your baby, what to do?

This is a discussion on Man runs off with your baby, what to do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Todd It's amazing how something that starts out with such good intentions can get twisted and used against you. I've never seen ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Man runs off with your baby, what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    It's amazing how something that starts out with such good intentions can get twisted and used against you.

I've never seen these stickers before. But I do like the idea of putting them on your room, then when the BG breaks in to get your kid, he will get what he really deserves....

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by PapaScout View Post
    I would do whatever I could to catch the abductor - at 10mph to start with and 1100fps to end with.

+1 you can't outrun a bullet!
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

I'd make the split sceond decision between running him down and giving him a taste of my knuckles or immediatly putting a slug through his head or his leg to slow him down so I can then give him a taste of my knuckles!!

If I could take a safe shot it would be taken, if not the kidnapper would be persued and dispached with the utmost prejudice, my family will be protected at all costs
    From what same clay are both heros and tyrants made.

Hmm... Interesting thread!

I've thought about this one before... Having 3 kids, I know, there's only so fast you can run, with a 10lb baby in a 5-10lb carrier (well, we used clunky old carseats...)

I'd have to go with 'chase him down'.

I'd hate to see what'd happen when I caught him, however....
    Where's the best place to apply for your Ohio CHL?
    Find out at http://ccwhen.com! (Now with Chat!)

Единственная реальная власть приходит из длинней винтовки.

This is a no brainer. I would take the shot.
    Last edited by Shooter45; January 7th, 2007 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hekkenschutze View Post
    I'd make the split sceond decision between running him down and giving him a taste of my knuckles or immediatly putting a slug through his head or his leg to slow him down so I can then give him a taste of my knuckles!!
    You would knock down a running man who was carrying your infant.

Alternatively, you would successfully pull off a head shot on a running man, in public, while he was carrying your infant.

Alternatively, you would attempt to shoot to wound, that most dangerous and ill-conceived of shooting tactics, on a running man who was carrying your infant.

Good grief.

I liked Fragman's answer, simple and succinct: Bang.

Senior Moderator
    I'm not a track star, and I am not likely to chase the guy down.

One loud verbal order as I draw to stop or I will shoot, followed by shots to the pelvis / thighs if there is not immediate compliance.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I'm too old and crippled to chase, but I don't think I would chance chasing anyway. If I shoot I'm getting the kid back and If I try to chase him and he jumps into a waiting car or something I wasted my chance. The odds of seeing an abducted kid again, at least alive are pretty slim. I would NOT take a chance of him even remotely getting away with him/her.
    If I get cranky It's because the VA is changing my meds again.
    NRA and DAV life member.
    1911Auto

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    I'm not a track star, and I am not likely to chase the guy down.

One loud verbal order as I draw to stop or I will shoot, followed by shots to the pelvis / thighs if there is not immediate compliance.

Matt
    Nothing personal, and I don't have any kids, but I don't get it. Why waste time with verbal commands? Why aim anywhere but COM where the shots are most likely to have the desired outcome? Doing otherwise will almost certainly result in a lawsuit, and could result in allowing the BG to stumble those last few meters to his car and get away.

If I see you snatch my kid and take off, I'm unloading my weapon into your back as quickly as I can draw and squeeze the trigger, until you're flat on your face, leaking (not bleeding - that would imply heart function).

No question I would shoot.

+1 MattLarson

I would also yell as presenting, maybe the "stop or I'll shoot" or a variation of would stop the perp, and me having to shoot him. But if it didn't immediatley, I'm shooting.

As for the hip/pelvic area vs a COM shot, a COM shoot could over penetrate striking the infant/child when it exited, as the perp would probally be holding the baby/child to their chest to run. However a pelvic shot would be low enough to greatly reduce the risk of striking the infant from over penetration. In addition, a pelvic injury is severly tramatic, a busted pelvic bone is life treatening regardless of how one gets it, cut the femoral artery and they bleed to death nearly as fast the jugular in the neck, so pelvic hip shot is most damaging shot you can take while avoiding the chance of stiking the infant.

Not to answer for you Matt, and I might be off your line of thought, but just why I would use a verbal command and go for the hip/pelvic area as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Elmore View Post
    Alternatively, you would successfully pull off a head shot on a running man, in public...
    Why not? It works in all the zombie movies.

Phil makes some good points.

In my mind I would run and catch up to him with a blade...possibly stick him in the neck a few times.
    If I couldn't catch up to him...go to guns.
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

Quote Originally Posted by Devone6 View Post
    No question I would shoot.

+1 MattLarson

I would also yell as presenting, maybe the "stop or I'll shoot" or a variation of would stop the perp, and me having to shoot him. But if it didn't immediatley, I'm shooting.
    I can understand this logic. The hostage/shield possibility that someone else brought up in another post is a possible reason not to announce intentions, but we are speaking hypothetical here - I won't disagree with your logic. As for me, he's already committed the crime. I'm under no obligation to warn first, so I wouldn't.

As for the hip/pelvic area vs a COM shot, a COM shoot could over penetrate striking the infant/child when it exited, as the perp would probally be holding the baby/child to their chest to run. However a pelvic shot would be low enough to greatly reduce the risk of striking the infant from over penetration. In addition, a pelvic injury is severly tramatic, a busted pelvic bone is life treatening regardless of how one gets it, cut the femoral artery and they bleed to death nearly as fast the jugular in the neck, so pelvic hip shot is most damaging shot you can take while avoiding the chance of stiking the infant.

Not to answer for you Matt, and I might be off your line of thought, but just why I would use a verbal command and go for the hip/pelvic area as well.
    The original question, I think, said that the child was still in the carrier. If that is the case, then considering the combined weight and bulk of the child and carrier, it is more likely (and was my assumption when formulating my response) that the child is either being carried to the side (if carried with one hand) or held at or slightly below waist level in front (if carried with both hands). In either case, a shot to the pelvic area would be much more likely to hit the child than a shot higher, say middle to upper back (COM). In your version where the child is being carried at chest level, a shot lower would be wiser and likely equally effective if well placed. My $0.02

If I could shoot him without too much risk of hitting my child, then I would drop him.

I think this situation calls for, no screams for a deadly force response. Who could imagine a more primal instinct than protecting ones young? The safety of our children is the primary reason my wife and I carry in the first place.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links