Why one police officer carries 145 rounds of ammo with him every day

This is a discussion on Why one police officer carries 145 rounds of ammo with him every day within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; SHHH, NO ONE TELL CUOMO OR BLOOMBERG: Why one police officer carries 145 rounds of ammo with him every day My Comments: This amount of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Why one police officer carries 145 rounds of ammo with him every day

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.

Why one police officer carries 145 rounds of ammo with him every day

SHHH, NO ONE TELL CUOMO OR BLOOMBERG: Why one police officer carries 145 rounds of ammo with him every day

My Comments: This amount of volume of fire is rare for an LEO, but I stand corrected on my previous 2 -4 round at 7 to 21 feet comment. It happens people. But, but, you do not need more than 7 bullets in NY State!

.....The most threatening encounter in Gramins’ nearly two-decade career with the Skokie (Ill.) PD north of Chicago came on a lazy August afternoon prior to his promotion to sergeant, on his first day back from a family vacation. [He heard an alert] that a male.............................................. ...........

.....In this free-for-all, the assailant had, in fact, been struck 14 times. Any one of six of these wounds — in the heart, right lung, left lung, liver, diaphragm, and right kidney — could have produced fatal consequences…“in time,” Gramins emphasizes.

.....The whole shootout had lasted 56 seconds, Gramins said. The assailant had fired 21 rounds from his two handguns. Inexplicably — but fortunately — he had not attempted to employ an SKS semi-automatic rifle that was lying on his front seat ready to go.

.....Now unfailingly he goes to work carrying 145 handgun rounds, all 9 mm. These include three extra 17-round magazines for his primary sidearm (currently a Glock 17), plus two 33-round mags tucked in his vest, as well as the backup gun. Besides all that, he’s got 90 rounds for the AR-15 that now rides in a rack up front.

http://directorblue.blogspot.com/201...bloomberg.html

2. Remove Ads

...it's OK to have enough to share, and it's OK to have some left over...but it AIN'T OK to run out...

I think this has been posted before, Anglico.
    sparkykb and ANGLICO like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    I think this has been posted before, Anglico.
    More than likely it has. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...it's OK to have enough to share, and it's OK to have some left over...but it AIN'T OK to run out...
    YEP
    sanfordreed likes this.

This is the 2nd or 3rd time I've read this story here. Just the same it's never a bad idea to carry buku ammo.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

No matter how many times it is posted it is as true today as it was the first time.

It also serves to illustrate our need even more.
    zonker1986, Aceoky and blitzburgh like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I thought the point of this story is that the 9mm is better than the .45ACP?

[Runs away!]
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    I thought the point of this story is that the 9mm is better than the .45ACP?

[Runs away!]
    That is the point. I would much rather carry 140 rounds of 9mm on board than 140 rounds of .45 ACP.
    ANGLICO likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    That is the point. I would much rather carry 140 rounds of 9mm on board than 140 rounds of .45 ACP.
    I carry a 1911 and I actually agree, carrying 20 mags would suck
    pittypat21 and ANGLICO like this.
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

So, he fired 33 rounds, got 14 hits, had four left in his primary, and his BUG still had 10. Certainly not as much of a cushion as one would hope, but he didn't exactly run dry. Still, a good argument for carrying more ammo! I think if I were a LEO I'd probably consider five mags total to be a minimum. A. I'd be expected to run TOWARDS a fight; B. I wouldn't have to worry about hiding them.

So what's a good number for a plain ol' citizen? I figure you should definitely have a spare magazine in case of malfunctions anyway, and if you're going to the trouble to carry one spare, might as well make it two. So, three total?
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

In a real gun fight........... not that crap where you just put your (long arm) M16/M4/AK Other/Other or the really good long range stuff, over the wall and throw some ammo down range (wasted ammo).

Been there done that. No big deal.

I guess I am asking LEO and Former Military, in that it is not a big deal. Someone is shooting and you take out the Tango. Easy Peasy!

It is not where you aim, it is where the rounds hit. And I get it......... covering fire is not hitting meat, so much as setting up said meat to be hit.

In all fairness. I fully realize that I may a wee bit harsh, and sound harsh, but we (us people on this forum) come from many vastly differed backgrounds, experience and, well where we have been.

My full respect to everyone of you, now that I am fully back in 'the world'. Well, at least as my current wife states it............................

Administrator
    "145 handgun rounds, all 9 mm." = 8+1 of .45 ACP <~~~~~

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    So, he fired 33 rounds, got 14 hits, had four left in his primary, and his BUG still had 10. Certainly not as much of a cushion as one would hope, but he didn't exactly run dry. Still, a good argument for carrying more ammo! I think if I were a LEO I'd probably consider five mags total to be a minimum. A. I'd be expected to run TOWARDS a fight; B. I wouldn't have to worry about hiding them.

So what's a good number for a plain ol' citizen? I figure you should definitely have a spare magazine in case of malfunctions anyway, and if you're going to the trouble to carry one spare, might as well make it two. So, three total?
    I generally carry two extra 17-rounders.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

The only time you can have too much ammo is when your swimming.
    zonker1986 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links