Don't screw around with Hamtramck shopowners...

This is a discussion on Don't screw around with Hamtramck shopowners... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This was reported on local news channels last week. Shopowners 1, BG 0. Police Chiefs comments were interesting. Three men walked into Mike's Detroit Jewelry ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Don't screw around with Hamtramck shopowners...

Don't screw around with Hamtramck shopowners...

This was reported on local news channels last week. Shopowners 1, BG 0. Police Chiefs comments were interesting.

Three men walked into Mike's Detroit Jewelry and Pawn Shop on Joseph Campu in Hamtramck around 2:30 p.m. Thursday. It appears they planned to rob the store. Police said they had guns and drew their weapons.

Staff members reacted fast. They also had guns and opened fire.

"Some of the surrounding shops heard some gunfire, and I believe some people also witnessed some people going in and seen the commotion, so they immediately called us," said Hamtramck Police Chief Max Garbarino.

One of the suspects was fatally shot. The other two escaped injury, but not police. They were arrested.

"Preliminarily it appears that it was in self-defense that they fired on the suspects," Garbarino said.

"It's not too often we get things like this in Hamtramck. Most of our shop owners are armed around here, not to mention our police response is under 30 seconds. In fact, we were here within 30 seconds of getting the call."

No customers were inside the store when the shooting occurred.

Read more: Robbery suspect fatally shot at Hamtramck pawn shop - Fox 2 News Headlines
    tony1990, msgt/ret, OD* and 3 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

That is one great Police dept.

USM1976 and 357and40 like this.
    Always Fight Crime - Shoot back until it stops.
    NRA member and supporter.
    A Gun without Ammo is called a door stop.

That's one heck of a town...I like the attitude:

"Most of our shop owners are armed around here, not to mention our police response is under 30 seconds."

Good for the shop owners. Also good for the guy not caught by police he'll never do it again.
    NONAME762 likes this.

I love this article. I love armed shop owners, responsible to keep their livelihood and their fellow co workers safe

Uh.... were the robbers from "out of town" ?? Darwin Award ?
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Hamtramck is completely surrounded by the City of Detroit (except for one small piece that bordered Highland Park).

Should Hamtramck Erect A 12-Foot Wall To Keep Out Detroiters? « CBS Detroit
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    I wonder if they practiced this a time or two. They reacted pretty fast. Come to think of it, so did the police getting there in 30 seconds.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Police "response" may be within 30 seconds, but what's the police "arrival" time? I seriously doubt 30 seconds is anything but an exception to the rule.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    One of the suspects was fatally shot. The other two escaped injury, but not police. They were arrested.
    I don’t know about Michigan law but here in North Carolina getting your fellow criminal killed opens you up for 1st degree murder under the felony murder law. If Michigan has a similar law maybe the other two will be charged under it.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

...now THAT'S "police/community relations" at its finest!!!

...open your eyes and see, Grasshopper:

Google

...2.09 square miles...no great feat at all...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Police "response" may be within 30 seconds, but what's the police "arrival" time? I seriously doubt 30 seconds is anything but an exception to the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStallion29 View Post
    I wonder if they practiced this a time or two. They reacted pretty fast. Come to think of it, so did the police getting there in 30 seconds.
    Knowing this particular area, I'm guessing that their situational awareness was off-the-chart when the door was opening. May have given them a few seconds of advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I am not LEO, but in my job our response time is measured from the time we are dispatched to the time we arrive in scene. It is the time we conclude our response, not begin it.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Wow 30sec. cops must have been sitting by the shops door.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links