Scenario: You just shot a home invader

This is a discussion on Scenario: You just shot a home invader within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Perhaps Bumper...but I am aquainted with several criminal attorneys, a couple of prosecutors, one who lectures for me at some of my courses, and several ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 36

Thread: Scenario: You just shot a home invader

  1. #16
    Senior Member Array KC135's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    742
    Perhaps Bumper...but I am aquainted with several criminal attorneys, a couple of prosecutors, one who lectures for me at some of my courses, and several expert witnesses. None have ever had this type of advise. That in itself does not mean it is wrong, but is it necessary?

    Perhaps it is where you live.....

    Lots of stuff looks good...until you look at the time frame. The local police will be at my house in 2 to 4 minutes unless something strange is going on in our town of about 20,000.

    Yes, a plan is necessary, and everyone needs to have one. Your plan may not be the same as mine.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    Senior Member Array jdsumner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    riverview, fl
    Posts
    765
    Keeping the downed bg covered, and listening for other activity through the \'gooshgoosh'of blood in my ears, make sure family is ok if home,get the phone, call 911. Tell the op my name, my address, that there is a home invader downed in my hall and that I am armed, and to please stay on the line with me untill the officers can respond and meet me at the door. Describe myself to the op and instruct op to have officers meet me at front door and I will at that time lower my gun. When the boys in blue show up, surrender firearm, tell first office \"there is an armed man in my hallway, he tried to kill me, I will file charges. I will not say anything further untill I have spoken to my lawyer\". After a period of 24 to 48 hrs, after all the adreneline (sp?) has worn off, and the optical distortia (tunnel vision, color blidness), sound distotia (didnt hear how many times I fired), time distotia (5 seconds, 5 minutes?) have worn off, and after a change of drawers,I will recount my statement with my lawyer before speaking to anyone else. The last thing I want to do is to \'lie\', even unintentionally to the law. Then, proceed as neccessary. In Florida, if all the evidence points to a clear self defense shooting, the State can choose to drop it or go to Grand Jury. In this case, I think the GJ will probably choose not to indict. Any Florida lawyers please correct me if I am in error.
    Now, get ready for the civil suit being file against me for shooting that poor, socio economically challenged man who was just selling magazine subscriptions for his church mission trip.

    Thanks, looking foreward to reading all the responses.

    Dan

  4. #18
    VIP Member Array Euclidean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,213
    I figure if I ever do actually did this and didn\'t have some kind of plan, I\'d either:

    A. Cry like a little baby. I\'m not ashamed to admit it. I hate hurting people. Even if he is a sociopath who wanted to kill me, he\'s got a momma somewhere that\'s going to have to hear her son is dead.

    B. Go into a state of shock.

    I\'d imagine most people are like me. I\'m not used to staring death in the face every day. I don\'t relish the thought of personal combat at all. That\'s why I don\'t do police work or military work. I understand sometimes people have to be attacked and killed, but I don\'t want to be the one to do it. You know that story about the wolves, the sheep, and the sheepdogs? I\'m a sheep. I don\'t go hunt down the wolf.

    On the other hand, just because I\'m a sheep doesn\'t mean I have to roll over and die just because some wolf tries to hurt me or one of the other sheep. I want to be a sheep with steel wool. I don\'t call the sheepdog until I see more wolves than a sheep can be expected to handle. The sheepdog has better things to do because some of the other sheep don\'t dare to piss in the wolf\'s face like this one does.

    At that same time though, I also have to realize that although it will probably never happen that I should kill anyone, I need to be ready for this event if it ever does occur. I really hadn\'t thought about this until just about a year ago, and now my situation\'s different and I\'m more knowledgeable so there\'s further issues to consider and this thread addresses them all.

    Great topic.

  5. #19
    New Member Array Burrito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8
    1. I would slowly approach his body with my weapon aimed at him and give him a nudge with my foot to make sure he is not of any threat to me (just because he fell doesn\'t mean he\'s dead).

    2. If he was unconcious, but not dead I would take his weapon and place it in a secure place away from his body. I would try not to get my fingerprints on the weapon. If I knew he was dead, I would not touch his weapon and I would holster my own.

    3. I would have my wife call 911 to inform them of the situation. I might be too shaken up to talk right.

    4. While waiting for the police, I would probably have to sit down due to the emotional trauma of the situation. When the police arive, I would give them my statement and hopefully not have to leave my house in handcuffs.

    5. It might be a good idea to contact a psychiatrist the next day.

  6. #20
    Member Array NYC Drew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    16
    Swear. Call 911. Separate robber from weapon. Crap my pants, try to remember my attorney's #. Swear again. Wonder if there's more than one of them.

  7. #21
    Lead Moderator
    Array rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    15,673
    Clear the immediate area for any other threat. secure a room that is prepared for defense. call Ambulance and PD. Wait for them to arrive, after describing where the downed BG is and where and what I am wearing. Ask them to call to me by name upon entering my house.

  8. #22
    Member Array silvercorvette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    128
    I cheated and read about half the posts before I answered #9 and #11 are the first ones that made sense to me.. Do not put down your gun or unload it till you are sure he didnít bring any friends with him. If anyone lives in the house with you make sure they are OK. Make sure they guy you shot is dead if you kick away his weapon to keep it out of his reach how do you know he does not have a back up? You donít want to have the gun in your hand when the cops get there but you also donít want to disarm your self before they arrive because you arenít sure the threat has been terminated. Be very careful what you say to the police just use common sense and donít say something stupid.

  9. #23
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    34,612

    Thumbs up This Is A Great Thread

    Not much I can add as you'all sure got it covered but, I sure did learn a few things.
    12 Stars & Two Thumbs Up!!!!!!!!!!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

  10. #24
    Senior Member
    Array APachon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,091
    I would rather errr on the side of caution than not as to your question to whether it is necessary or not. 20k is a VERY small population and you are lucky to have 911 presence in the timeframe you mentioned however I do not think that is the norm. I know in Vegas it is not the norm and not even close to it especially where I live (read boonies).

    So what is your plan?

    ~A


    Quote Originally Posted by KC135
    Perhaps Bumper...but I am aquainted with several criminal attorneys, a couple of prosecutors, one who lectures for me at some of my courses, and several expert witnesses. None have ever had this type of advise. That in itself does not mean it is wrong, but is it necessary?

    Perhaps it is where you live.....

    Lots of stuff looks good...until you look at the time frame. The local police will be at my house in 2 to 4 minutes unless something strange is going on in our town of about 20,000.

    Yes, a plan is necessary, and everyone needs to have one. Your plan may not be the same as mine.
    Fave Quotes

    The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

    The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

  11. #25
    Troll Array lnh20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    1
    Make sure the intruder is dead, if not pop another round in the sucker. Then call 911 and tell them you shot an intruder in your house and need police and medic. Then take the intruder gun? not leaving your finger prints on it pop a few round off to where you last stood before you shot the intruder (in wall and on celling would be good) then drop it next to the intruder and then wait for police. While waiting call your attorney
    Last edited by lnh20; January 24th, 2005 at 02:48 AM.

  12. #26
    VIP Member
    Array Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Old Dominion
    Posts
    5,050
    Quote Originally Posted by lnh20
    Make sure the intruder is dead, if not pop another round in the sucker. Then call 911 and tell them you shot an intruder in your house and need police and medic. Then take the intruder gun? not leaving your finger prints on it pop a few round off to where you last stood before you shot the intruder (in wall and on celling would be good) then drop it next to the intruder and then wait for police. While waiting call your attorney
    You sir will need an attorney, because you are going to jail. The only thing left to decide is for how long.

    -Scott-

    Is meme back?

  13. #27
    Member Array silvercorvette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    You sir will need an attorney, because you are going to jail. The only thing left to decide is for how long.

    -Scott-

    Is meme back?
    I believe you are right. Ban him

  14. #28
    Member Array SSKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by lnh20
    Make sure the intruder is dead, if not pop another round in the sucker. Then call 911 and tell them you shot an intruder in your house and need police and medic. Then take the intruder gun? not leaving your finger prints on it pop a few round off to where you last stood before you shot the intruder (in wall and on celling would be good) then drop it next to the intruder and then wait for police. While waiting call your attorney
    Congratulations! You have just taken a justified self-defense shooting and turned it into a crimnal case against yourself! I'm not a lawyer, but what I see here is a) murder [if the intruder was down after being shot, no longer a threat, and you shoot him again], and b) tampering with evidence by handling the intruder's weapon and attempting to create a scene that would justify your actions.

    Are you a troll, ignorant, or both?

    SSKC

    I wonder what the record is for lowest number of posts before being banned.
    Last edited by SSKC; January 24th, 2005 at 11:16 AM.

  15. #29
    Senior Member
    Array APachon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,091
    with CSI being one of the most wathced TV shows on the tube today, comments like this give me pause. Can or rather does someone really think they will get away with such a stupid action as the shot to a BG while they are down. Bullet path, blood splatter, proximate range, and lavidity will show the second shot for what it was; plainly and simply a CRIME.

    ~A
    Fave Quotes

    The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

    The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

  16. #30
    DC Founder
    Array Bumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    20,045
    Quote Originally Posted by lnh20
    Make sure the intruder is dead, if not pop another round in the sucker. Then call 911 and tell them you shot an intruder in your house and need police and medic. Then take the intruder gun? not leaving your finger prints on it pop a few round off to where you last stood before you shot the intruder (in wall and on celling would be good) then drop it next to the intruder and then wait for police. While waiting call your attorney
    I think I am going to have to agree with the consenus among our members. Encouraging an illegal act is not what this forum is about and I don't believe you could garner even the smallest bit of interest in any more of your "wisdom". The curtain just fell. Buhbye!
    Bumper
    Coimhťad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Good: NKY Home invader shot
    By customdog24v in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: January 10th, 2011, 09:55 AM
  2. GOOD: One Home Invader Shot - Fountain Inn, SC
    By CT-Mike in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: June 15th, 2008, 09:23 AM
  3. Home Invader Shot
    By CT-Mike in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: March 10th, 2008, 09:32 PM
  4. 14 y/o Armed Home Invader Shot in the Head
    By CT-Mike in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: February 21st, 2008, 02:56 PM
  5. Another Home Invader Shot
    By CT-Mike in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 19th, 2008, 08:31 AM

Search tags for this page

are you justified in shooting a home invader in kentucky
,

can you shoot a home invader in ky

,
home invader shot lawsuit
,
home invador shot and sued
,
home revaters where the invater sued
,
i just shot a home invader now what?
,
i shot a home invader. what do i do next?
,
is it legal to shoot home invader in ky
,
kc3 media chairman kraig keller.
,
warn a home invader before you fire or just shoot
Click on a term to search for related topics.