Police In Your Home

Police In Your Home

This is a discussion on Police In Your Home within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Try this one out and don't over-analize it, just play the scenario as written: You are not in Indiana. Its 2am, you hear noises in ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Police In Your Home

Police In Your Home

Try this one out and don't over-analize it, just play the scenario as written: You are not in Indiana. Its 2am, you hear noises in your home. As you are arming yourself you hear a voice shout "Police! If you're armed don't shoot!" He repeats this and the voice is audibly closer to your location in the house. No time to dial 911 and verify with dispatcher. Your mind races with the following possibilities; 1) he's a legit cop responding to a disturbance but at the wrong address. 2) he's a bad cop acting outside the law with criminal intent. 3) he's a criminal trying to make you believe he's a cop to get your guard down. All of these have actually happened in recent times. What's your next move? (LEOs please chime in on this as well!)

What difference does it make what my next move is?

Your scenario #1: The intruder in my home does not have the legal authority to be in my home and is in the process of committing a crime and I feel my life may be in danger

Your scenario #2: The intruder in my home does not have the legal authority to be in my home and is in the process of committing a crime and I feel my life may be in danger

Your scenario #3: The intruder in my home does not have the legal authority to be in my home and is in the process of committing a crime and I feel my life may be in danger

In all three scenarios the intruder is in the process of committing a crime/crimes and is responsible for their own actions which could result in the criminal losing their life.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    I'm not in Indiana, SO BANG DEAD COP. In my house at 2am, no phone warning, My door locked, lights off. SORRY BANG..

If you are in my home- I better be able to see your hands and you better be damn compliant, damn quickly or I will defend my family and my home- which is legal, badge or not here in TX.

My family comes before their badge.

I have the utmost respect for law enforcement, but if you are in my home, you had to choose to come there, choose to alert the dog, choose to set off the alarm, so the person (cop or not) is down 2 1/2 strikes with a fastball coming down the middle.

Interesting answers so far... You'd be amazed how many people I've discussed this with that are unsure of their course of action.

VIP Member
    Not saying it is right- but if you shoot the cop in scenario #1 you're probably going to prison for a long, long time. If you shoot the cop in #2 pray that the police department was already investigating him and is honest about that.

It is a horrible situation. I'd hope I'd shoot #2 and #3 and that things would end without shots fired in #1. I'd hope I didn't end up in prison in any of the cases. Above all I'd do what I had to do in order to ensure my family's safety. Bad situation for any good guy's house to be mistaken or entered.
    blitzburgh and Pistology like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

It strikes me that your local cop doesnt have a vested interest in getting his self shot. I dont think many would want to confront an armed home owner, if they could avoid it.

I would not come out into the open, would be armed and ready to defend myself against any and all intruders, AND issue firm verbal commands to get out of my house, while having another family member call 911.

I sure am not going to just "roll over" because the guy who broke into my home tells me "its all good".

Distinguished Member
    I'd scream towards the back of the house in an ear piercing high pitch nasty voice "Harold, I think I hear the deliverer boy hold cujo back and let me get my purse the pizza man is here - hope he don't catch this infection I got....it killed uncle Willie".
    Ghost1958, Patti, mook012 and 4 others like this.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    At 2 am and a police officer is in your home with no legitimate reason, what would be wrong with telling him to drop his weapon and get in the perp position until it can be verified? This seems very peculiar.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Not saying it is right- but if you shoot the cop in scenario #1 you're probably going to prison for a long, long time. If you shoot the cop in #2 pray that the police department was already investigating him and is honest about that.

It is a horrible situation. I'd hope I'd shoot #2 and #3 and that things would end without shots fired in #1. I'd hope I didn't end up in prison in any of the cases. Above all I'd do what I had to do in order to ensure my family's safety. Bad situation for any good guy's house to be mistaken or entered.
    I disagree. In both scenario #1 and #2 the police officer has no legal authority to be in your home. The officer is in the process of committing a crime whether he realizes it or not. The officer is an armed intruder putting you and your family at risk. The criminal's occupation does not change the facts that he is engaged in criminal activity and is in the process of placing lives in danger. Both scenarios are self-defense shootings which occur in one's own home resulting in the criminal being shot.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

I think some of you are missing the context. There is only one scenario here. The three possibilities are what is going through your mind in the ONE scenario. You do not know which possibility is correct.

Im not missing a thing. There is someone in my house. They broke in. They SAY they are a cop. Big deal.

Im given to understand that criminals sometimes are less than truthful. Hard to believe, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    Im not missing a thing. There is someone in my house. They broke in. They SAY they are a cop. Big deal.

Im given to understand that criminals sometimes are less than truthful. Hard to believe, I know.
    I'm referring to those that are treating the 3 possibilities as 3 separate scenarios. Relax, it's all good. I'm enjoying everyone's replies regardless.

...you had better not ever shoot at an officer in the performance of his duty...

...however...if he has a search warrant for 123 Green St and he's trying to execute it at 345 Brown Trail...he's not in the performance of his duty...

...if he has an arrest warrant for Mr. Smith at 123 Green St and he's trying to serve it at 123 Brown Ave...he's not in the performance of his duty...those warrants are very circumspect in the authority that they give to him...they're not a pass to do a blanket search of a town...

...if an officer's on official business, and exceeds the speed limit or busts a red light, that's legal, BUT he takes responsibility for and is liable if he causes a wreck and injures or kills someone while doing it...

...when we give someone the trust and power that we give our police...we can't have them making such mistakes due to carelessness...there's too much at stake...and no professional officer would enter a home at night without having verified closely his authority...

...that said, I knew a cop who was a burglar
    ...I knew a cop who peeped and watched husbands and wives in bed, while acting as a "security guard" to get free rent...
    ...I knew a cop who raped a girl...and dared her to report it, because she was a girl who'd been with many cops...
    ...I knew a cop who policed by day...and by night raped at least 7 women before getting caught and imprisoned...

...so the danger is there...cop or milkman, when we find a situation like the OP presents...and it may be a no-win situation, as some have said, depending on the investigation, DA, grand jury, and jury, if it comes to that...

...all we can do is all we can do to keep ANYONE from entering our homes at night...
    ...use a light to identify an intruder before shooting...
    ...defend yourself and your family at all costs...you don't know who, or why, but SOMEONE's in your home who has no right to be there...

Quote Originally Posted by knight65 View Post
    I think some of you are missing the context. There is only one scenario here. The three possibilities are what is going through your mind in the ONE scenario. You do not know which possibility is correct.
    Not missing anything.

Again, what difference does it make?

There is an intruder in my home that does not have the legal authority to be in my home and this criminal is in the process of committing a crime and I feel my life may be in danger. It doesn't matter if his shouts about his claimed occupation are accurate or not and it doesn't matter whether or not I believe his claim. Regardless of what he is shouting, he is still a criminal who has illegally entered my home at 2:00am and is an immediate threat.

News flash: It doesn't matter what the criminal is shouting. His shouting only makes him a loud criminal...He is an immediate threat who also happens to be loud.

Quote Originally Posted by knight65 View Post
    Interesting answers so far... You'd be amazed how many people I've discussed this with that are unsure of their course of action.
    We are obviously not giving you the answers you were expecting so why don't you tell us what you would do next?
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links