Out of character!

This is a discussion on Out of character! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know these are dreams I'm talking about, but I'm disgusted by how I act in them! I find myself shooting the wrong person and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Out of character!

Out of character!

I know these are dreams I'm talking about, but I'm disgusted by how I act in them! I find myself shooting the wrong person and trying to run from the authorities; losing my edc down the leg of my pants in the grocery store and everyone around me gasps in horror; having a negligent discharge at home in front of my kids and scheming about how to lie effectively to the cops if they show up (plus telling me kids what/what not to say)!!!

I'm new to concealed carry, and I know this has got to be normal, but honestly I'm really put off by how my dream self reacts to these situations. Tell me this will pass! (or hopefully I'll get smarter and more in character in my dreams) LOL
    Snub44 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I hope it is normal. I have been carrying guns since 1963 and spent twenty-two years in the military. I still have dreams about my trigger not moving when I pull it. I pull harder and the gun falls apart in my hands. I still have dreams that I am in high school and can't find my locker. When I find it, I can't remember the combination and the final bell is ringing.
    Secret Spuk and USM1976 like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Sorry it is not normal!! LOL Just kidding!!

Actually my dreams are somewhat similar when the subject involves defending myself or others with a gun or some other type of weapon. Until very recently I was basically inept or ineffectual in my dreams, however for some reason that has changed the last few times I have dreamed on this subject.

In my totally non-professional and uninformed opinion it's no big deal and don't worry about it.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I hope it is normal. I have been carrying guns since 1963 and spent twenty-two years in the military. I still have dreams about my trigger not moving when I pull it. I pull harder and the gun falls apart in my hands. I still have dreams that I am in high school and can't find my locker. When I find it, I can't remember the combination and the final bell is ringing.
    LOL!!! I've had the same locker/combination dream for years and and found out that it's common for a lot of others as well! As for scenarios gone bad, no dreams yet but i'm sure its nothing to be alarmed about. If anything, use the dream to fortify your training procedures.

VIP Member
    I am weird ...........Now i feel better ,i never dream that stuff . I dream i am being fed grapes and being fanned by a harem of lovely ladies .
    PetiteProtector and TN_Mike like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    I am weird ...........Now i feel better ,i never dream that stuff . I dream i am being fed grapes and being fanned by a harem of lovely ladies .
    You aren't Islamic are you? Isn't that the dream all the moolahs are selling to their homicide bombers and shooters?
    Gearhead and Echo_Four like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodad View Post
    You aren't Islamic are you? Isn't that the dream all the moolahs are selling to their homicide bombers and shooters?
    Yes i am , and pure all American Guy that likes, Grapes, Fans , and lovely ladies.......... well really just a lady "my wife"
    But it appears the only thing that Bombed was my joke that i need to explain
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Quote Originally Posted by PetiteProtector View Post
    I know these are dreams I'm talking about, but I'm disgusted by how I act in them! I find myself shooting the wrong person and trying to run from the authorities; losing my edc down the leg of my pants in the grocery store and everyone around me gasps in horror; having a negligent discharge at home in front of my kids and scheming about how to lie effectively to the cops if they show up (plus telling me kids what/what not to say)!!!

I'm new to concealed carry, and I know this has got to be normal, but honestly I'm really put off by how my dream self reacts to these situations. Tell me this will pass! (or hopefully I'll get smarter and more in character in my dreams) LOL
    Take this for what its worth. They are just dreams...
    Hopyard and Arborigine like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Funny you should ask. Just last night I had a dream that there was an intruder in my house and I was trying desperately to grab my .45 and get out of bed but I couldn't move my arms or legs.
    If you died today and stood in front of God and He asked you " Why should I let you into My Heaven?" what would you say?

Dreams do reflect issues that people go thru in their daily lives. For you, it's getting comfortable with your conceal carry. Relax and the dreams will go away. good luck
    Aceoky likes this.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

It is interesting "how real" stupid dreams can seem isn't it?

I figure once you're much more confident your dreams will reflect that fact/reality .

Dang. My dreams (when I do dream about this stuff) are just the opposite: I'm a dead sure shot and always remember to say what I'm supposed to. The term "only in your dreams" actually applies to me. :)
    Aceoky likes this.
    --If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin’.

VIP Member
    Your dreams shouldn't be interpreted literally and may not even have anything to do with guns and shooting people at all. Dreams are interpretations of things going on in your life; maybe there are times you feel like you can't do anything right or you are under pressure at work, etc. Your troubles and joys get translated in weird ways when you're sleeping. Dreammoods.com is a good dream dictionary.

I dreamed I was a white corvette Transformer. I have no desire to be a robot car, but my son loves to watch Transformers and I had a heck of a day with my toddler daughter being a diva. So I thought about a mom's day out. The dream translated it into an escape in a white corvette and it tossed in my son's favorite show.
    wdbailey, Aceoky and QKShooter like this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Yes i am , and pure all American Guy that likes, Grapes, Fans , and lovely ladies.......... well really just a lady "my wife"
    But it appears the only thing that Bombed was my joke that i need to explain
    Just so you know, I was joking as well.
    welder516 likes this.

..those are fantasies...dreams are when you're sleeping...
    welder516 and Chaplain Scott like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links