Close Call Friday Evening!

This is a discussion on Close Call Friday Evening! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On Friday evening my significant other and I exited a restaurant located in "The Loop", which is a popular area for the younger crowd. As ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Close Call Friday Evening!

Close Call Friday Evening!

On Friday evening my significant other and I exited a restaurant located in "The Loop", which is a popular area for the younger crowd. As we started walking down the sidewalk to the car I noticed three young "gentlemen" in bright, loose-fitting clothes fall in behind us - perhaps trailing by 10 feet or so. I immediately told the SO to clutch her purse as I turned my stare to the three followers, thus letting them know "game on!"

They immediately slowed, and then turned around to head in the other direction.

In my mind they were clearly setting up for a grab and run. My SO said she was surprised by this entire scenario and hadn't noticed the followers until I said something.

So what are your thoughts? How could I have improved my response?
    StormRhydr, manolito and Snub44 like this.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    You did fine...

Thing about these things, could have been nothing, could have been something avoided.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Open carry is to hand gun as blue tooth's are to cell phone!

Good SA is always the ticket.............Nice.

Nothing that I can see. You did great.

OTOH if they had of all urinated and had simultaneous bowel movements due to your Command Presence that would have given us all a good chuckle...
    Snub44, sdprof and Aceoky like this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

First rule: Its better not to get shot, than shoot the bad guy/s. A+ on that aspect.

You had good SA, and you handled the situation, never having to draw. I dont think it gets much better than that.

I might well have gone with (in command voice) a "NO THANK YOU!", as that is how I have been trained. On the theory that you are GOING to yell something, and that beats what you would otherwise yell, and is not demeaning to those hearing it, and does not cause them to lose face in front of their fellows, but lets them know to, BACK OFF.

Good job.

You presented yourself as a hard target. SA and being a hard target may have saved the day. Otherwise you might have scared the crap out of three guys...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    ...I might well have gone with (in command voice) a "NO THANK YOU!", as that is how I have been trained. On the theory that you are GOING to yell something, and that beats what you would otherwise yell, and is not demeaning to those hearing it, and does not cause them to lose face in front of their fellows, but lets them know to, BACK OFF.
    Good suggestion...I like it!
    StormRhydr likes this.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Reminds me of a situation in a typical vacation shopping area. I noticed some guys... one inside a shop main window watching, keying others & pointing out potential victims, one who would go by them and scope them out, etc. Very interesting operation. Called the local police and told them what was going on. Met with 3 plain clothes officers, and talked and suggested a plan to them. They had been watching my Wife a LOT and the woman typically walking with her.... lets use them as "bait". He & I would come from the direction the guy would "run" after the grab and they have all other means of exit covered, including bringing in one more person to snatch the spotter.

We were with a 'group' (soccer team & parents there for a soccer tournament), so they could just 'fit in' and no one would know. Anyway, did a "walk thru" and pointed out the "actors" to them and they saw what we did as well. So, it was "on". Took my wife off .... towards the restrooms, to explain to her what we were doing and the plan,.... she was game. So, we did.

Sure enough, Mr Watch out pointed to one guy where the two women were & gave the all clear (he couldn't see us), and the other guy came in .... while the other guy who would run interference, etc. if someone tried to grab him and / or chase him, and then one other guy .... and came in and tried to get in everyone's way, block them, and run intereference. I think the other was a "back up" to the guy running interference. The second he had a hand on the purse .... he looked up and saw us, and we had him. However the officers didn't get two of them... and they got away, so the chase was "on". Looked up and Mr Watch-out was nabbed by 2 officers, the other guy running interference and the other one were too fast for the officers and able to maneuver and get away.

I got to give credit where credit is due... one female officer was determined she was going to get these guys.... and she didn't quit chasing them..... last we saw her .... she was 3-4 blocks away still on the chase. So, they had cars in the area and keyed off of her. Zap..... they got them both. We were to go down where they nabbed them to ID them , about 1 mile away, and here was the one really worn out female officer standing there. We gave her water, and congratulated her for her determination, etc. Come to find out, they had these guys names and had been trying to catch them and find "proof" so they could charge them, and could never seem to get it. Now, they had them cold.

My reason for pointing this out is, there are usually "more" people involved although you may not have noticed them..... keeping a watch out, keying people, and an "interference" man as well. Notice the crowd, notice the guys who don't seem to "have a purpose" in being where they are and aren't doing something, don't seem headed for a place in particular, etc. You can pick them out.... making eye contact with each other, the "nod", the non-verbal communications going on.
    Chaplain Scott and Snub44 like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

You should have turned fired two shotgun blasts into the air yelled "IM WYATT EARP! IT ALL STOPS NOW!! Then jerked out your six shooter and shot each one in the big toe.

Kidding. You handled things perfect. No harm no foul. Good job
    mook012 and NONAME762 like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

This is what I've started referring to as "Schrodinger's Bad Guy/s", a modified version of Schrodinger's Cat. If you're unfamiliar with Schrodinger's Cat, allow me to explain. Or you can watch the clip from The Big Bang Theory. Schrodingers Cat - YouTube

Schrodinger's Cat is a thought exercise in which a cat is placed inside a box along with a vile of poison that will break at a random time. Since no one knows when or if the poison has been released, the cat can be thought as both alive and dead. The only way to know for sure is to open the box.

In this case, you had three guys acting suspiciously. They may have had ill intent or it all may have been a coincidence. The only way to know for sure is to wait for them to make the first move. But at that point you would already be behind the eight ball. The purse may have been gone and/or you might be starring down the barrel of a gun (or worse). At which point you would be at a distinct disadvantage. You're situational awareness prevented the box from being open. Well done.
    sdprof and blitzburgh like this.

+1 on the Schrodingers mention.

I can't think of anything you should of done differently. You let them know you were aware of them and seemed to of done so with confidence. Exactly what I would of done. Besides that, perhaps having a talk with the SO regarding SA.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I'm too old to go to places where young people hang out. If you stopped your perceived threat, you did good. Sounds like you did just that, good for you and good luck in the future.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

When it's dim or dark out, I have a habit of keeping a hand held tac light in my left hand while walking. I like to use my other hand to hold my lady's. I make it a point to move the splash around, as if generally looking around me. When I notice people of interest or concern, I sweep it over their legs and such so that the splash illuminates them. It's all kind of a "herp, derp! I have a short attention span, and look at everything!" sort of thing.
    Currently own: Beretta PX4 9mm, Glock 23 (Gen 4), Glock 19 (Gen 4) x2

Quote Originally Posted by MJK View Post
    So what are your thoughts? How could I have improved my response?
    Sounds like you did fine. Of course, heading near three questionable types risks this sort of thing. But as they make a play for you, keeping them further than 10ft and you facing them is decent tactics. Though, 10ft is pretty darned close with three who are acting in unison. 10ft can be covered in no time. Had they been more motivated, and/or you'd been a bit further from others, it's entirely possible for you to have been taken without your having been able to respond at all.

Still, in a city environment with lots of others around, it's hard to not get some apparent close calls from time to time. Could have been nothing, I suppose. But their acting in unison, proximity and immediate mutual breaking-off from trailing you seals it in my mind: you were being trailed for cause, and you showed you were prepared to defend against that.

Keep your "left" up.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stirling XD View Post
    This is what I've started referring to as "Schrodinger's Bad Guy/s", a modified version of Schrodinger's Cat. If you're unfamiliar with Schrodinger's Cat, allow me to explain. Or you can watch the clip from The Big Bang Theory. Schrodingers Cat - YouTube

Schrodinger's Cat is a thought exercise in which a cat is placed inside a box along with a vile of poison that will break at a random time. Since no one knows when or if the poison has been released, the cat can be thought as both alive and dead. The only way to know for sure is to open the box.

In this case, you had three guys acting suspiciously. They may have had ill intent or it all may have been a coincidence. The only way to know for sure is to wait for them to make the first move. But at that point you would already be behind the eight ball. The purse may have been gone and/or you might be starring down the barrel of a gun (or worse). At which point you would be at a distinct disadvantage. You're situational awareness prevented the box from being open. Well done.
    Why is Schrodinger's Cat suddenly so popular? It's garbage, a total waste of time.

The OP on the other hand took what information was available to him, made a decision and avoided trouble.
    Last edited by atctimmy; August 20th, 2013 at 09:18 AM. Reason: punctuation
    Ghost1958 and manolito like this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links