Communicating with SO and SA

This is a discussion on Communicating with SO and SA within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Many of the LEOs on the forum have probably heard this before. Your taking a report after a mugging an the wife says I saw ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Communicating with SO and SA

Many of the LEOs on the forum have probably heard this before. Your taking a report after a mugging an the wife says I saw them looking at us earlier or I saw them outside earlier something along those lines.
    When my wife and I were much younger we were at a picnic an a acquaintance of ours who had to much to drink snuck up in back of me an grabbed me from behind. I elbowed him in the face an was pretty embarrased about it. My wife told me later that she Saw him doing it but he gave her the finger to the lips like be quiet its just a joke. We talked about that at some length. To where now she tells me when she sees anything out of the ordinary. Four eyes are better than two talk about it to your signifcant others make sure you communicate your SA it can only help, never take it for granted that they are on the same page. Some think my husband carrys he will take care of it an fall into a false sense of security.
    Madcap_Magician likes this.

Sounds like common sense awareness.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Ocassionally when we go somewhere and have been seated, my wife will say,

Have your figured it out yet?

I reply, Figured what out?

She says, The order you plan on killing everyone in this room if the SHTF?

I say yes I have. I Love you Baby
    Easy8, Snub44, mprp and 2 others like this.

Okslim, Thats funny, I often see posts where someone asks how to get my wife on board with cc. Sounds like we have two of the good ones. Mine is the one who says do we have enough ammo, I bringing my small purse carry my speed strip.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Some think my husband carrys he will take care of it an fall into a false sense of security.
    I'm going to make a generalization that may be untrue, but many women have a better sense of situational awareness than the average man. I suspect this is because women are subconsciously aware of their personal vulnerability, which heightens vigilance; whereas the average man (rightly or wrongly) feels he can handle threats that come his way, and this usually false sense of security mentally justifies decreased awareness.

I myself have been guilty of this often, and I am always amazed at how perceptive my wife is to potential threats.
    missymay and Truckinbutch like this.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    I'm going to make a generalization that may be untrue, but many women have a better sense of situational awareness than the average man. I suspect this is because women are subconsciously aware of their personal vulnerability, which heightens vigilance; whereas the average man (rightly or wrongly) feels he can handle threats that come his way, and this usually false sense of security mentally justifies decreased awareness.

I myself have been guilty of this often, and I am always amazed at how perceptive my wife is to potential threats.
    This generalization is true and is borne out by science. If you're interested, just google combinations of "testosterone", "estrogen", "intuition", "brain hemisphere function for males", etc. You'll see that "women's intuition" is because they use both sides of their brains more often than men (whose brains get washed with testosterone, resulting in less dual hemisphere brain activity, but a tremendous ability to focus, fight and mate). The result is that women "see" more clues about what's going on in social settings, and in a person's behavior. IMHO, a good suggestion for any man is to closely listen to what your wife/girl says if she picks up on a person's/group's behavior, especially when you don't notice anything. One more thing, you're going to have a problem hiding your feelings from a woman. She'll know how you're feeling before you do.

I tend to agree that women have a greater sense of SA but also feel they need to verbalize it with their partner.this goes both ways if we see something strange no matter tell your partner they might have seen something else that when both pieces of info are known may lead to a different course of action.

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wester View Post
    This generalization is true and is borne out by science. If you're interested, just google combinations of "testosterone", "estrogen", "intuition", "brain hemisphere function for males", etc. You'll see that "women's intuition" is because they use both sides of their brains more often than men (whose brains get washed with testosterone, resulting in less dual hemisphere brain activity, but a tremendous ability to focus, fight and mate). The result is that women "see" more clues about what's going on in social settings, and in a person's behavior. IMHO, a good suggestion for any man is to closely listen to what your wife/girl says if she picks up on a person's/group's behavior, especially when you don't notice anything. One more thing, you're going to have a problem hiding your feelings from a woman. She'll know how you're feeling before you do.
    While I agree with this, I think women also tend to ignore a lot of those signals in certain situations. "That guy is starring at me a lot. I must remind him of someone he knows." I've tried to have conversations with my wife about what to do if things hit the fan and she would respond, "That's never going to happen." But she has been coming around. Of course I know a lot of men that do this too.

We've been married 34 years and much of it was while I was a police officer. When we go into a restaurant, she asks me if a particular table is alright and asks me where I want to sit at the table....back to the wall. She understands and shoots very well herself.
    Hopyard, Aceoky and Easy8 like this.

My wife and I have been married 44 years (time is flying) and she always lets me seat back to the wall and then I identify our way out if needed. The rest of it is to enjoy the meal and setting!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    My wife and I have been married 44 years (time is flying) and she always lets me seat back to the wall and then I identify our way out if needed. The rest of it is to enjoy the meal and setting!
    I've been married for 42 years, and all MY wife tells me to do is shut up!
    BurgerBoy likes this.

Funny I stumbled on this thread. At Target today, I asked my wife if she liked the outfit the guy coming right towards us had on, and she said "What guy?" :-\ On the way to the register, I asked "Was that a dude?" The person was crossing about 15 feet in front of us. She had no idea anyone was there.

Quote Originally Posted by USM1976 View Post
    We've been married 34 years and much of it was while I was a police officer. When we go into a restaurant, she asks me if a particular table is alright and asks me where I want to sit at the table....back to the wall. She understands and shoots very well herself.
    31 years for us
    USM1976 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by USM1976 View Post
    My wife and I have been married over 51 years and she puts up with me carrying. She used to shoot when we were first married but gradually stopped going with me. I think the only reason she puts up with me carrying is that she knows that she cant change me, in that regard anyway.
    USM1976 likes this.

VIP Member
    My patient wife of 38 years knows I don't like to sit with my back facing "incoming". She gladly gives up that spot, and actually if we are with friends she "maneuvers" a bit so I get the wall.

Granted there are a lot more risky places to be other than sitting facing the wrong way in a restaurant, especially if it's a nice place.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links