Watch out when you're pumping gas

This is a discussion on Watch out when you're pumping gas within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm usually aware of my surrounding, but got carried away thinking about bass fishing. It was Friday and so ready to go fishing the next ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Watch out when you're pumping gas

I'm usually aware of my surrounding, but got carried away thinking about bass fishing. It was Friday and so ready to go fishing the next morning. Got off work and pumped gas just chilling and right when I turned around, there was a dude about 2 ft away from me. (Yeah, he could've stabbed me if he wanted to).. I got startled and jumped back and moved my right arm to my hip. Dude wanted $5 and i said, "no" and waited for him to leave...

It's usually those few moments that we feel safe or caught up with something that may get us hurt. Keep telling the GF to watch out too.

What was that one time you got caught off guard that "could've" turned bad?
    Snub44, NONAME762 and Aceoky like this.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    And there is a story for those who say "My SA is turned on 24/7, I see everything" I say hog wash. No one can be on the top of his/her game 24/7. It may only be 30 seconds but that's when it happens. BG's are good at seeing those times.
    TVJ, AOK, BadgerJ and 8 others like this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    And there is a story for those who say "My SA is turned on 24/7, I see everything" I say hog wash. No one can be on the top of his/her game 24/7. It may only be 30 seconds but that's when it happens. BG's are good at seeing those times.
    Methinks part of the above statement is correct--as much as we like to think we are 24/7 SA, we cannot really be in that zone all the time. As far as BGs are concerned, you give too much credit to them; for the most part, at least from the bios of BGs that make the papers and the news, they are mentally deficient and ignorant and are lucky they do not just trip over their own feet.
    As far as a gas station visit is concerned, I take my keys out of car and lock the doors when I pump gas---I also make sure I am in a position where I can leave at the getgo and am not boxed in at a pump. I also only visit a station in the daytime and, by definition, it is usually a busy station because of competitive gas price.
    Oldpsufan, Snub44 and ccw9mm like this.

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    No trouble at the gas station, but I did have to have a chat with a guy yesterday morning. I was leaving my house for work when I heard someone say I'm going to shoot you with my .40 and then start shooting up all of these houses around here. He was looking across the street where an elderly woman lives while he is running his mouth. I stand on the sidewalk and give him a stair, and he turns around. I then get into my truck and go to leave for work and stopped beside him. I told him this is my neighborhood, and I don't take kindly to people threatening anybody on my street. I advised him to move on as I was going to do my morning routine stop and then come back by, and if he was still there we'd find out who was the better shot. Thankfully, he was gone. I probably should have called the police, but I had a good adrenalin rush going on.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

Any situation in which I could easily be "heads-down" for a a time is one in which I try very, very hard to maintain continuous awareness of those around me. Pumping gas, working an ATM, sitting in the car for any length of time (ie, at a stoplight), about to exit the car after arriving, loading groceries into the car, etc.

You never know when someone's scoping out a situation for a possible approach. They're watching, you fit the bill, and poof! there they are.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStallion29 View Post
    ... (I) stopped beside him. I told him this is my neighborhood, and I don't take kindly to people threatening anybody on my street. I advised him ... if he was still there we'd find out who was the better shot.
    Careful, about making such statements. He was running his mouth. You were indicating if you saw him again that you'd be bringing a gunfight to him. Bad juju, when saying such things. They can come back to haunt you, if things blow sideways, which isn't altogether unlikely these days, with folks getting their backs up over inconsequential challenges, looks, etc. Caution.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    No trouble at the gas station, but I did have to have a chat with a guy yesterday morning. I was leaving my house for work when I heard someone say I'm going to shoot you with my .40 and then start shooting up all of these houses around here. He was looking across the street where an elderly woman lives while he is running his mouth. I stand on the sidewalk and give him a stair, and he turns around. I then get into my truck and go to leave for work and stopped beside him. I told him this is my neighborhood, and I don't take kindly to people threatening anybody on my street. I advised him to move on as I was going to do my morning routine stop and then come back by, and if he was still there we'd find out who was the better shot. Thankfully, he was gone. I probably should have called the police, but I had a good adrenalin rush going on.
    You did good but you probably should have called it in, because if he's a thinking thug he could have called you in for harassing, or threatening him with violence. I doubt that would have happened, but you never know.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    ďA nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.Ē
    ― Edward R. Murrow
    After all, when the Supreme Court twice comes within one vote of ruling that the Second Amendment of the U.S. Bill of Rights isnít an individual right, Americans have a right to be concerned.

VIP Member
    2009. I was pumping gas in the AM, gassing up for my morning commute at a station right next to the onramp of 400. Guy was right behind me when I turned around. Asked for some money, I told him no. Asked for a ride, I told him no. He got belligerent, dropped an F-bomb, then accused me of voting for McCain. Then he walked off.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    2009. I was pumping gas in the AM, gassing up for my morning commute at a station right next to the onramp of 400. Guy was right behind me when I turned around. Asked for some money, I told him no. Asked for a ride, I told him no. He got belligerent, dropped an F-bomb, then accused me of voting for McCain. Then he walked off.
    I don't know if I would have been able to hold back my temper, you are a better man than me PEF.

Nobody voted for McCain...they voted against the other guy.
    Snub44, WHEC724, atctimmy and 1 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    An activity known a 'sliding' has been happening in the St. Louis area.

A customer will pull up to a gas pump and proceed with their business while another car will 'slide' up to the ajacent pump and the passenger will hopp out and open your car from the passenger side and steal anything in sight. It's been captured on video many, many times and it takes just seconds for it to happen.

Especially dangerous for women who leave their purse on the seat while pumping gas. Hopefully their firearm isn't inside.

Lock up your cars at the pump folks.
    Last edited by Wunderneun; August 24th, 2013 at 10:22 AM. Reason: spelun'
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzadik View Post

Nobody voted for McCain...they voted against the other guy.
    My thoughts exactly.
    Sister and Aceoky like this.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

VIP Member
    I make it difficult for someone to approach me unseen. I park and leave the drivers door open without room to walk between it and the pumps. My truck has a windowed shell on the bed. I can see anyone approaching from that direction. That leaves the pump area which offers an approach barrier, but allows me to see anyone approaching.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    ...I...stopped beside him. I advised him to move on as I was going to do my morning routine stop and then come back by, and if he was still there we'd find out who was the better shot...I had a good adrenalin rush going on.
    Actually you approached a complete stranger and threatened to shoot him.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Asked for some money, I told him no. Asked for a ride, I told him no. He got belligerent, dropped an F-bomb, then accused me of voting for McCain. Then he walked off.
    The first things aren't so bad. But the McCain one?! Now THAT'S uncalled for! I think you coulda shot him just for that, alone, and no one would have blamed you.
    Phaedrus and NONAME762 like this.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    . If that gives you an adrenaline rush, you, sir, have a problem. It sounds like you tend to go looking for trouble.
    Last edited by OldVet; August 24th, 2013 at 02:59 PM.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    You are right. However, we are not talking about 24/7 here we are talking about keeping your game up while pumping gas. As I see it, that is not that difficult to do. I am not arguing with you Bill, I respect your advice. I just think the OP had a lapse when he should not have.
    Snub44 and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links