Would you euthanize an injured animal with your pistol?

This is a discussion on Would you euthanize an injured animal with your pistol? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night I saw a cat dying on the road, and I've seen it before with a fawn and a dog. In the case of ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Would you euthanize an injured animal with your pistol?

Would you euthanize an injured animal with your pistol?

Last night I saw a cat dying on the road, and I've seen it before with a fawn and a dog. In the case of the dog, the cop shot it. I hate seeing animals suffer and I would rather shoot it in the head. Is this typically legal/recommended? Would the kind of animal, or whether or not I was the one who hit it make a difference?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If it is your animal, it is your choice. If it is not your animal - no.

My daughter-in-law is a vet and her malpractice insurance is higher than "people doctor" malpractice insurance. People do sue for humongous amounts of money if they feel someone has injured or even worse, killed their precious beloved pet.

If you live in a community that has a law against discharging firearms within the (town, city, whatever) limits, you better notify the police before you go ahead and shoot even your own animal.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

...speaking ONLY of CT law...

DEEP: Hunting Laws and Regulations

"...Hunting Near Roads, Buildings, People, and Domestic Animals - Hunting or shooting from or across the traveled portion of any public roadway is prohibited. Shooting toward any person, building, or domestic animal when within range is prohibited. "

without legal authority...i.e. a badge, I don't see you being legally able to shoot an animal on the road...a game warden or state trooper might tell you something different, but it'd be best to have them show you in the law so that you could refer to it if necessary...word-of-mouth doesn't save you in court...
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaOkmyx View Post
    Last night I saw a cat dying on the road, and I've seen it before with a fawn and a dog. In the case of the dog, the cop shot it. I hate seeing animals suffer and I would rather shoot it in the head. Is this typically legal/recommended? Would the kind of animal, or whether or not I was the one who hit it make a difference?

VIP Member
    Yes I would, and yes I have, and by my saying so is not a blanket endorsement.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I've had injured animals before (given them last rites), and out in the rural areas it wasn't a problem. I don't think I would do that in a residential area...check with local laws first. You don't want to get into some Deep Kimchi over an animal. I think it's a good idea to have a vet 'take care' of those chores.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I think the answer is going to entirely depend on where the event occurs. In the rural area of my youth, it was not only ok but expected. It's just the way it's done in the country. In a city or incorporated area? You would be much better off calling animal control, the local non-emergency police number, or 911, and let them handle it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...speaking ONLY of CT law...

DEEP: Hunting Laws and Regulations

"...Hunting Near Roads, Buildings, People, and Domestic Animals - Hunting or shooting from or across the traveled portion of any public roadway is prohibited. Shooting toward any person, building, or domestic animal when within range is prohibited. "

without legal authority...i.e. a badge, I don't see you being legally able to shoot an animal on the road...a game warden or state trooper might tell you something different, but it'd be best to have them show you in the law so that you could refer to it if necessary...word-of-mouth doesn't save you in court...
    Some years ago I was driving through Roxbury with my son, and we saw a huge beaver staggering across the road near a pond the beavers perpetually dammed. The skin was ripped off the beaver's back and hanging down its side, and it was obvious he'd been it by a car or truck. I slowed to let it cross the road, and instantly gave thought to shooting it to hasten its inevitable death. I'm sorry to say I didn't do so because of the CT statutes/hunting regs (although this would clearly not have been 'hunting'). To this day I remember that gruesome sight and I regret not doing what needed to be done.

That which is right is not always lawful, and that which is lawful is not always right.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

...it says "hunting or shooting"...and could have gone either way...an old cop could have given you his blessing and let you go...or a young one could have charged you, arrested you, etc, etc...without legal backup...it could get expensive enough you'd end up wanting someone to put YOU out of your misery...some states seize your vehicle when you're violating their wildlife laws...

...I hate to see ANY animal suffer...including ME...
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Some years ago I was driving through Roxbury with my son, and we saw a huge beaver staggering across the road near a pond the beavers perpetually dammed. The skin was ripped off the beaver's back and hanging down its side, and it was obvious he'd been it by a car or truck. I slowed to let it cross the road, and instantly gave thought to shooting it to hasten its inevitable death. I'm sorry to say I didn't do so because of the CT statutes/hunting regs (although this would clearly not have been 'hunting'). To this day I remember that gruesome sight and I regret not doing what needed to be done.

That which is right is not always lawful, and that which is lawful is not always right.

VIP Member
    In the northern 'burbs of Atlanta, no way.

In the sticks of the rural country side where I grew up, yes.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I have done it to wildlife, domestic animals are a different story as has been discussed. If you are in a rural area and the animal is clearly going to die it's not a problem - I've worked with possum police that had no problem with it. Killing someone's pet w/o their express permission can get expensive - better yet, give them the gun. Another thing to think about is it may be best to not shoot it in the head if there's a chance someone's been bit as it may save them having to undergo a bunch of rabies shots. A neck or heart shot is still much more humane than a slow death from disease, infection, starvation.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BelaOkmyx View Post
    Mercy killing with a firearm is illegal in my state, but I would use a knife.
    squid86 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I've had injured animals before, and out in the rural areas it wasn't a problem. I don't think I would do that in a residential area...check with local laws first. You don't want to get into some Deep Kimchi over an animal. I think it's a good idea to have a vet 'take care' of those chores.
    Just to be clear...I'm picturing someone pulling up to an injured animal...and looking up the law on their phone, maybe calling their lawyer....before making the decision to shoot it or not.
    Secret Spuk and Hopyard like this.

As another poster stated, it's all pretty much where the injured animal is located. Personally I hate to see an animal suffer, but I especially would hate to see me suffer lawfully over a bad choice.
    Arborigine likes this.
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

VIP Member
    You could never do it in the suburbs of Maryland , you will be charged . Maybe out in southern or western MD. I would not do it here.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

I agree w/your statement 110%.
    Considering where you were at that time you did the right thing per the Law in the jurisdiction where you were. If it had of been me I would feel the decent thing,
    the right thing, would have been to put the animal down. But as you were in CT the right thing unfortunately isn't always lawful. In litigation crazy Amerika with many folks looking to sue you into poverty you did the CYA thing.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links