Your hand-to-hand/unarmed philosophy?

This is a discussion on Your hand-to-hand/unarmed philosophy? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My Grandfather, a survivor of Guadalcanal and the entire Solomons Campaign, gave me some valuable advice when I was young and getting into trouble/suspended for ...

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree525Likes

Thread: Your hand-to-hand/unarmed philosophy?

My Grandfather, a survivor of Guadalcanal and the entire Solomons Campaign, gave me some valuable advice when I was young and getting into trouble/suspended for fighting. He said, "When you're a man, you learn a few things: Don't fight, don't win; live." Essentially, upon explanation, he was talking about ultraviolence and survival situations. Ever since then, my philosophy has been one of no fighting, keep the ego checked, and when it comes down to hypothetical unarmed self defense, accomplish the most violent/incapacitating things you can. Nothing is off limits: this is not the movies, an MMA ring, etc. Eyes, throat, ears, small joints, knees, feet, nose, wrist, ANYTHING you thought too gory or gruesome to do is exactly what you need to do in an unarmed self defense situation, and fast, without hesitation. Thoughts? (Disclaimer: I did do several years of full contact MMA sparring when I was an undergraduate, and it was definitely useful in seeing what people typically try to do during a fight. This was a couple of years before MMA blew up and every idiot had a Tapout sticker on their truck. Second disclaimer: I was terrible at it and stopped training when a bad takedown dislocated my kneecap.)
    OD*, USM1976, ccw9mm and 10 others like this.

Avoid at all costs. Health reasons,so don't go unarmed.
    "We've already run the misfits out of our country." Matthew Quigley

Probably not the answer your ,looking for but its an honest one. At my age and medical condition my unarmed , hand to hand plan so to speak is to be armed with a knife and at least one sidearm. 24/7 365.

Ive had some martial arts and hand to hand training. Enough to know that given any choice at all in the matter I really dont want to count on hand to hand when my life is on the line. Especially now. Honestly if I have a fairly long stout sharp stick Id rather go with that than bare handed.
    Ksgunner, Snub44, dV8r and 10 others like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Your Grandfather sounds like a wise man. Real fighting is ugly and to be avoided if at all possible. Damage to one's body takes it's toll regardless of healing.

I was taught to only fight for survival reasons but if I must fight I am trained to disable my attackers as quickly and efficiently as possible. As age has affected my strength, speed, and endurance, I must compensate by bypassing the less damaging techniques and going right to the more vicious ones.

As far as weapons go, any weapon is better than none. I can go with none if I have to but I'd much rather have something to multiply my force: gun, knife, cane, stick, flashlight, rock, or even just a newspaper, magazine, or a handful of dirt.
    Phaedrus, OD*, Snub44 and 10 others like this.

Two words... Brass Knuckles.
    Secret Spuk and BenGoodLuck like this.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I studied Tang Soo Do Mu Duk Kwan for years, starting when I lived in Korea when I was 8, I wrestled in HS, studied a few other styles of martial arts like Arnis and Krav Maga, learned some things from my father who was with MAC/V-SOG in Viet Nam, etc.. but with all of that being said, I'm still 110 lbs, and disabled, so yeah I try to avoid any hand to hand if possible.

My philosophy?

"If you find yourself in a fair fight... your tactics suck."

I generally don't leave my home without some form of weapon close at hand. Be it a handgun, an ASP baton, a knife at the very least... failing any of those, I'll try to improvise in such a situation and use whatever is at hand.
    Snub44, USM1976, ccw9mm and 4 others like this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

VIP Member
    I have suggested things like hand to hand skills and fitness on this forum in the past. It tends to bring a whole lot of people that give one excuse or another as to why they can't do it and then say that's why they carry this weapon or that weapon. Some people will just never understand that sometimes you will not have an opportunity to use any weapon that isn't in your hand when the attack begins.

Obviously I train BJJ. I have a wrestling background and enjoy rolling so I spend time doing that. I also have trained in Krav and Muai Thai as well as traditional boxing. I agree that swift and decisive violence is key if you find yourself in a self defense situation. However if you don't train for violence you'll have to rely on luck to be able to bring it. The BG isn't just going to stand there and wait for you to gouge an eye or bite his nose off.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maniacmechanic View Post
    Ooooh I'll play.....OK, two words...umm....Ooh! How 'bout "chain saw"? Or "battle axe"? Or maybe "broad sword"?

Seriously, this thread is about UNARMED combat. I can come up with a thousand better choices than brass knuckles if we are choosing weapons.
    Aceoky, Kavalander and DrDP6 like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Ooooh I'll play.....OK, two words...umm....Ooh! How 'bout "chain saw"? Or "battle axe"? Or maybe "broad sword"?

Seriously, this thread is about UNARMED combat. I can come up with a thousand better choices than brass knuckles if we are choosing weapons.
    Point taken. Guess I need to stay on topic. My bad.
    atctimmy, Kavalander and DrDP6 like this.

Was "curling iron" one?
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I have suggested things like hand to hand skills and fitness on this forum in the past. It tends to bring a whole lot of people that give one excuse or another as to why they can't do it and then say that's why they carry this weapon or that weapon. Some people will just never understand that sometimes you will not have an opportunity to use any weapon that isn't in your hand when the attack begins.

Obviously I train BJJ. I have a wrestling background and enjoy rolling so I spend time doing that. I also have trained in Krav and Muai Thai as well as traditional boxing. I agree that swift and decisive violence is key if you find yourself in a self defense situation. However if you don't train for violence you'll have to rely on luck to be able to bring it. The BG isn't just going to stand there and wait for you to gouge an eye or bite his nose off.
    you know it's easy to blow off excuses when you're a healthy 6' 200# male with H2H experience, but try to see things from, say, my point of view. I have the training, but I have also had type I diabetes since age 3, I've had 4 organ transplants, I'm visually impaired, I weigh 110 lbs, and I have extensive nerve damage and muscle atrophy due to the disease. It's easy for someone like you to just say "work out more," but not easy to do when you're house-bound, can't drive a car, and have issues like orthostatic hypotension (low blood pressure when you stand up.) Try to keep that in mind when you're looking down on the people with "a bunch of excuses."
    Phaedrus, DetChris, OD* and 18 others like this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maniacmechanic View Post
    Brass knuckles...typically illegal in many states.
    but a suitable alternative would be a Keating Stinger. Comtech Stinger 2 | Sorority sister DESTROYS a Phone book - YouTube
    But aside from that, If another person puts his hands on me, nuts to a fair fight, I'd rather put him in enough pain to allow me to get away.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.--->Herbert Spencer

Springfield xd 45, Sig Sauer SP2022(9mm),Remington 700(.308), Yugo M10 variant w/IZH Kobra optic,...and lots of ammo for all of 'em.

I'm a fan of Target Focus Training (Target Focus Training » Push the boundaries of self-defense and become a master on your own terms.). In the past I've boxed, taken Tae Kwon Do and Judo, as well as other self-defense training (e.g., baton training). What I like about TFT is that it is fairly easy to learn and practice, is logical and practical, and appears to be effective (you never really know until you put something to the ultimate test). They have DVDs that are easy to follow, will provide video feedback of your training, and also have classes (usually in Las Vegas). I practice with my family and even children can learn this.

They have a really good book, "How to Survive the Most Critical 5 Seconds of your Life" that i really liked, and have purchased copies for friends. It's all about mindset and the need for violence of action. Regardless of what you think about their training, this book is well worth the $15 they are now charging (it was $25-$30 when I bought my copies, was was still worth it at that price).

To me the key to success with anything is having some degree of physical fitness to be able to execute. Cardio, light weights, and/or a TRX (this is harder to use if you don't have good balance) are things that almost anyone at any age or health can do. Next, you need to have the mindset that you can and will defend yourself if needed - no different than the mindset of being able to use a firearm for self-defense. Finally, you need to practice to develop "muscle memory" or else you likely won't be able to execute as needed, when needed (again, no different than firearm defense).

These things help build confidence. Combine that with good situational awareness and some common sense and you will likely be a much less attractive target for bad guys looking for easy victims.
    oakchas and DrDP6 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by xsigma40cal View Post
    Brass knuckles...typically illegal in many states.
    but a suitable alternative would be a Keating Stinger. Comtech Stinger 2 | Sorority sister DESTROYS a Phone book - YouTube
    But aside from that, If another person puts his hands on me, nuts to a fair fight, I'd rather put him in enough pain to allow me to get away.
    Though I shouldn't like that. It's off topic. Dang. Roflmao!
    Snub44 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post

"If you find yourself in a fair fight... your tactics suck."

I generally don't leave my home without some form of weapon close at hand. Be it a handgun, an ASP baton, a knife at the very least... failing any of those, I'll try to improvise in such a situation and use whatever is at hand.
    Sounds about right. Should also include a healthy dose of situational awareness. If you really, really, really pay attention to where and when you go places, regardless of what it is about and mix in a strong dose of common sense, avoidance, evasion, running away, yelling, screaming etal---you may find that you never will end up in a "what if". This, in my book, is the precursor to any and all self defense.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Links