This happen to me almost forty years ago.

This is a discussion on This happen to me almost forty years ago. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happen to me when I was in my early twenty’s back in the 1970’s. I drove my pickup truck a good two miles off ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By Stoner
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By StormRhydr
  • 1 Post By blitzburgh

Thread: This happen to me almost forty years ago.

This happen to me almost forty years ago.

This happen to me when I was in my early twenty’s back in the 1970’s. I drove my pickup truck a good two miles off the hard road on a hunting club that I was a member of. When I got back into my truck the battery was dead and I walked and ran down woods roads back to the hard road. I was trying to reach the hard road before dark. I was still three mile from any type of civilization once I reach the hard road. I started to hitch a ride and an older vehicle stopped with two younger fellows in the front seat. I got into the back seat and I notice the two fellows in the front seat making eye contact with each other and I immediate felt I made a bad mistake getting into that vehicle. I looked around and notice the interior door handles and window cranks were missing on the doors in the backseat area. I felt I was in trouble and was about to get robbed and maybe murdered. When I left my truck in the woods I carried a revolver that I always kept under the seat of the truck; it was a Colt Trooper .357 with a 6” barrel. I had it wrapped up in a camouflage coat. I remember unwrapping the gun and getting my hand on the grip. At the first sign of house coming into view I asked for them to stop and again they looked at each other, and I feel they were deciding whether or not to let me out. Thank fully the vehicle stopped and the passenger up front had to get out to open the rear door. I still remember the event like it was yesterday and am thankful nothing bad happened. I knew something was wrong the moment I got into that backseat and consider myself very fortunate nothing happen. I feel that car was set up that way with the door handles and window cranks removed and I guess “my number” was not up that day. I did have some comfort in the fact I had a weapon and am thankful I did not have to use it. This occur long before conceal carry was even thought of.

2. Remove Ads

For hitch-hikers, that's one more good thing on the list of things to identify prior to entering a vehicle. Operable door handle, locks, window. Another good reminder how a decent knife (with glass-break capability) can be golden.

As for why they were exchanging glances, who's to say? Though, very likely it was all that and more. IMO, you were lucky that day, as they could easily have been plotting. Those little hairs on the back of your neck that were a-buzzing? Very likely, you were correct in your belated assessment.

Good reminder of how vital it is to always be armed ... or to have a darned good alternative.

If unarmed, if the perps turn out to show their intentions, I can't imagine there are many good alternatives in that situation, but one: reach forward to grab the driver about the neck and yank him 'til he's bent over backwards over the seat, making a mess of things. Granted, you'll likely be crashing soon. But then, you've got a body to brace the impact. Far better, IMO, than being to who-knows-where down some skanky old road that doesn't show up on anyone's maps. Wouldn't want to be in that situation, that's for sure.
    oneshot likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Long ago I had something "random" happen. I was leaving the movies with my date. I was driving a very good looking mustang, that could get up and run.

We are driving along, doing the speed limit, minding our own business, and this pick up truck load of drunks pulls up beside us. They see my date, and start hooting and hollering, etc. At that point, no big deal to me.

It didnt take long before some fool started waving a certain body part at my date, and then proceeded to urinate over the side of the truck towards my car. Still, not a self defense situation, and I was in a very fast car.

As luck would have it, I hit every light, or was behind cars waiting at the light. My speed advantage wasnt doing me any good. In my book, these were still a truck load of drunks, showing out, but not something to take any potentially deadly action over.

That changed fast. All of a sudden the idiot driver starts swerving into me (not making contact, I was weaving away), and trying to run me off the road. At that point, I decided that I was apt to be dead or crippled, and my date raped, if I didnt do something fast.

As luck would have it, I had a ruger single six long barrel under my seat. I grabbed that, told my date to duck, unholstered it, and gave them ONE warning. I turned on the dome light so they could see what I was doing, cocked it, dropped it on the drivers head and was squeezing the trigger, when he locked up his brakes.

Drunks went flying everywhere, and I kept driving. I did not fire, but it couldnt have been a closer thing. I was literally squeezing the trigger when the driver of that truck decided that he was about to die.

Probably the only smart thing he did that night.
    Phaedrus likes this.

I guess this goes both ways, and this was my own fault. When we are young we do foolish things.
    When I was heading to college many years ago I had to attend an orientation weekend in the summer. I packed an overnight bag, borrowed my mothers car and off I went. I had a map to get to the college town but had no directions on where the college was in town. As I got within 5 miles of the town I saw two young men hitchhiking. I figured they might be college students and could give me directions. I stopped and they got in. When I asked them where they were heading they said yes they were going to the same town. I asked if they were students there, and the one replied "no, I am going to see my parole officer".

Yikes, well I drove them into town and they told me where the college was and asked me to drop them at a party store so they could get some beer before the parole meeting. I don't think they were even old enough to drink, since the legal age at that time was 21.

That was the last time I picked up hitchhikers.

VIP Member
    Whew!

Some of you guys should have played the lottery after those encounters, if there was a lottery at the time.

So far, I've apparently led a very dull life.

You were very fortunate, as it sounds as though they were definitely predators of some kind.
    One handle broke, no big deal, two broke, now the eyebrows go up; all of them, and its time to start kicking out the back window screaming "I want my mommy"
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

No door or window handles.. that's scary stuff.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    No door or window handles.. that's scary stuff.
    Maybe they just decided you didn't look 'pretty' enough and decided they could do better. Them hill-folk can be some kind of particular, when they want.

It seems a warning shot thru their roof would have given them a much needed education. Make them leave the car and drive it away, probably not worth the risk.

I had somthing happen to me 20 years ago. I was young and stupid, and thought i. Would head to town and. Check out the bar.. i started talk to a nice lady sitting alone at the bar.. bought her a few drinks,and chated..She said she was newly single and just got out of a bad relationship. She a asked if i wanted to fallow her to her new apt for a night cap i said you bet i do.. long story short my alarm went off at 4:45am i had to be at work to deliver frieght at 5.. got dressed grabed my bag headed out the front door to my old 79 bronco . Noticed a red glow in an old vans drivers seat across the street. Iam not a city boy, the city kind of scares me. So when i went to town i always grabed my old amt hard baller longslide. The. dark complected man got out of the van smoking a cigarette and carrying a tire iron heading my was. When i saw the red glow the first time i already had my amt in my hand inside the bag.. i was so scared i droped the bag hanging. Onto the pistol a leveled it at him say 5 yards away , i stared screaming and calling him so not so nice names he stop always making eye contact and flicked the cigarette at me i as so scared i almost pulled the trigger when he did that. He turned around got in his van a slowly drove off. ..come to find out it way this girls ex husband that she fell in love with when she went to party at some marine base in calfornia. I told her thanks for the night and i never had anything to do with newely divorced women. Ever since. I was stupid and young. And i didn't know how i let myself get into that kind of situation. Learned lots of lessions since than and hope iam a lot smarter now.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyatnop View Post
    I had somthing happen to me 20 years ago. I was young and stupid, and thought i. Would head to town and. Check out the bar.. i started talk to a nice lady sitting alone at the bar.. bought her a few drinks,and chated..She said she was newly single and just got out of a bad relationship. She a asked if i wanted to fallow her to her new apt for a night cap i said you bet i do.. long story short my alarm went off at 4:45am i had to be at work to deliver frieght at 5.. got dressed grabed my bag headed out the front door to my old 79 bronco . Noticed a red glow in an old vans drivers seat across the street. Iam not a city boy, the city kind of scares me. So when i went to town i always grabed my old amt hard baller longslide. The. dark complected man got out of the van smoking a cigarette and carrying a tire iron heading my was. When i saw the red glow the first time i already had my amt in my hand inside the bag.. i was so scared i droped the bag hanging. Onto the pistol a leveled it at him say 5 yards away , i stared screaming and calling him so not so nice names he stop always making eye contact and flicked the cigarette at me i as so scared i almost pulled the trigger when he did that. He turned around got in his van a slowly drove off. ..come to find out it way this girls ex husband that she fell in love with when she went to party at some marine base in calfornia. I told her thanks for the night and i never had anything to do with newely divorced women. Ever since. I was stupid and young. And i didn't know how i let myself get into that kind of situation. Learned lots of lessions since than and hope iam a lot smarter now.

Mines similar, and we had dated a few times. She told me she was newly divorced. Then it was separated , then it was getting a divorce. She when fessed up he was a long haul trucker but was not due home for a couple days. I took off and considered myself lucky..turns out he had been following me from a friend of hers I ran into months later.

Go Seahawks!

Yep very lucky. Theres no telling what a angly ex lover. Would do.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
    This happen to me when I was in my early twenty’s back in the 1970’s. I drove my pickup truck a good two miles off the hard road on a hunting club that I was a member of. When I got back into my truck the battery was dead and I walked and ran down woods roads back to the hard road. I was trying to reach the hard road before dark. I was still three mile from any type of civilization once I reach the hard road. I started to hitch a ride and an older vehicle stopped with two younger fellows in the front seat. I got into the back seat and I notice the two fellows in the front seat making eye contact with each other and I immediate felt I made a bad mistake getting into that vehicle. I looked around and notice the interior door handles and window cranks were missing on the doors in the backseat area. I felt I was in trouble and was about to get robbed and maybe murdered. When I left my truck in the woods I carried a revolver that I always kept under the seat of the truck; it was a Colt Trooper .357 with a 6” barrel. I had it wrapped up in a camouflage coat. I remember unwrapping the gun and getting my hand on the grip. At the first sign of house coming into view I asked for them to stop and again they looked at each other, and I feel they were deciding whether or not to let me out. Thank fully the vehicle stopped and the passenger up front had to get out to open the rear door. I still remember the event like it was yesterday and am thankful nothing bad happened. I knew something was wrong the moment I got into that backseat and consider myself very fortunate nothing happen. I feel that car was set up that way with the door handles and window cranks removed and I guess “my number” was not up that day. I did have some comfort in the fact I had a weapon and am thankful I did not have to use it. This occur long before conceal carry was even thought of.
    These two guys, by chance?
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ttis_Toole.jpg
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Links