This happened in Houston

This is a discussion on This happened in Houston within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Three armed suspects wearing bandanas and masks, entered a restaurant and immediately fired several shots. They ordered all customers and employees to the floor and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: This happened in Houston

Senior Moderator

This happened in Houston

Three armed suspects wearing bandanas and masks, entered a restaurant and immediately fired several shots. They ordered all customers and employees to the floor and demanded their property. During the robbery, one suspect shot a 63 year old man while another suspect shot a restaurant employee, 43, as he tried to flee the business through the front door. The suspects then fled the scene in an unknown minivan.
    You are in the restaurant having breakfast with you family when this happens what do you do?

I would have my wife and children climb under the table, try to draw when they are not looking at me and fire as I move away from my family.

I am pretty sure that as I was engaging I would be wishing I had something more than a 5 or 6 shot .357. I would try to incapacitate one with my first shot (either by dropping them or making them drop their weapon) and then letting the chips fall where they may.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    You are in the restaurant having breakfast with you family when this happen what do you do?

I would have my wife and children climb under the table, try to draw when they are not looking at me and fire as I move away from my family.

I am pretty sure that as I was engaging I would be wishing I had something more than a 5 or 6 shot .357. I would try to incapacitate one with my first shot (either by dropping them or making them drop their weapon) and then letting the chips fall where they may.
    Does this mean you will start carrying more than a 5 or 6 shot 357? Not trying to start anything but I am just curious if this will make you change your mind on what you carry.

Senior Moderator
    No I will still carry a revolver 99% of the time
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

VIP Member
    You're describing my worst day.

I coincidentally regressed back to carrying the snubby today, while thinking about a recent event where it would not have been enough. Speed strips aren't quick enough in the middle if a gun fight. Still it's what I have on me at the moment.
    pgrass101 likes this.

Husband and wife team working together would be a real advantage.

SA would be very important, and both CC would be the best.

Seeing them enter restaurant might give your table a few seconds to either flee or take cover and draw.

It has been said that a small CC weapon think 380acp etc. up against a shotgun is very bad odds, but bare hands up against a shotgun is even worse odds.

The fact that the BGs shot some one may well mean they will just shoot everyone in sight just for the kicks of it, think high on speed etc.

If at all possible flee if not hide and protect family, if not an option take them down hard and fast.

Best way to deal with this is get up cook breakfast at home and enjoy your family time.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

If I was with my wife I would tell her go draw her .45 while I drew my .357 sig I would have her duck behind whatever cover I could find I would tell her to begin to fire at them as I got about 5 feet from her while I began to fire and move away from her. I would try to dump one or two rounds into the chest of one of the guys with a gun right off the bat. This would incapacitate one of the guys leaveing only two and with two people firing at them from different positions I suspect they would either try to run or get taken out in a few seconds. I would have an extra 15 round mag and she would have an extra 7 rounder if it lasted long enough to need.
    NONAME762 and Phaedrus like this.

I have given this scenario much thought after reading about the "Good Guys" incident (1991 Sacramento hostage crisis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). I would do the same as pgrass101 said except my family would also be getting out their guns. I have no doubt that we would take cover and draw at the moment they entered and fired the first shot. Ideally I would hope to drop one as he dealt with another customer. Chances are very good that the other perp would hit the door as soon as he realized he was now in this alone. Sure, I would rather have my 1911 than the 642 but I have no doubts that that little pocket gun would do its job .

When I carry revolvers it's two of them so that's ten shots before reloading. Doesn't seem too many for this scenario. Normally I'd say stay out of it but if they are putting people on the floor either checking ID and shooting or just shooting for fun it's do or die.
    Snub44, Ghost1958 and Aceoky like this.

VIP Member
    The "immediately fired several shots" part leaves only one course of action, and one-on-three is a tough, but not insurmountable nut to crack. Except for the under the table part, I'm pretty much on track with the OP, although my minimum edc carry is an M&P9c with two extra seventeen-round mags.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

What I would I do?

I'd "take them out" for lunch.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    This scenario reminds me of the restaurant hold-up scene from Pulp Fiction.

If no one was getting shot, I'd probably comply and hand over my wallet. If shots have been fired and innocents shot, I'd try to pull my gun and stop the threat. The problem is being outnumbered. Even if I were able to make good shots and take out one or two of them, the third BG might get me. Cover would be important.
    Jaeger likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    There is no way to really plan in a fluid situation like that where you're outnumbered, outgunned, and there are innocents all around. I would rather be armed than not, but 3 on 1 isn't squared even by an M4 in the hands of an expert, and especially not if one of them has a scattergun (though, there is your first target). You're only real advantage is knowing just how stupid and desperate the perps have to be to try something like this. They've already lost their heads, and if you can keep yours there is a good chance you can protect yours and live through it.

I certainly wouldn't just start blazing. I'd try to wait till Mr. Scattergun was close and his partners far and pop him in the head at point blank (your one shot at the element of surprise). I'd feel a lot better facing two redlined perps with pistols if I had a 12 Ga in my hand. But it's really all just fantasy/nightmare. There is a good chance in that situation I would never draw. What I'm certain of is that I and would start reciting the Lord's Prayer.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

This real scenario presents a different situation than the thread I stated last month (Dinner Robbery Scenario), where the robbery team discharged their weapon into the ceiling as a scare tactic. If I was involved in this situation, my feeling is that your only real response is to engage, whether it with a 1911, .38 snub, or a .25 Beretta. Make your shots count!
    RockingGlock32, mook012 and 9BPLE like this.

The situation sure lends credence to carrying enough gun, for everything that you MAY encounter. Pgrass I would follow you plan almost to the T.
    40Bob and Aceoky like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    In that scenario, the BGs have already demonstrated a willingness, if not determination, to shoot anyone and everyone, so in my mind, it's game on. In all likelihood, once they receive return fire, they will exit post haste. That is the typical response. They do not react like trained SWATs.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links