Was I being paranoid?

Was I being paranoid?

This is a discussion on Was I being paranoid? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To preface, I sell life insurance in the ghetto. So I pull up to my 1pm appt a few minutes early, so I decide to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Was I being paranoid?

Was I being paranoid?

To preface, I sell life insurance in the ghetto.

So I pull up to my 1pm appt a few minutes early, so I decide to check my email and a few other things on my phone. I'm just parked on the side of the street in a bad part of Indianapolis. Usually the thugs are still asleep at this time, but as I'm about to get out of my car I see two bros, mid-20s walking my way on the sidewalk, who see me messing with my iPhone, and it just doesn't feel right.

I make eye contact (I have sunglasses on though), and do that head nod thing we guys do, all the while opening my center console and getting a grip on my Browning High Power. They continue to walk by and I watch them in the rear view. About 20 feet later, one guy looks over his shoulder at me surreptiously and turns around. He does it again about 20 feet later.

Then they turn left at the next block which is a main st. I keep watching. Then the peeping homeboy slinks back and looks again over the top of a fence, trying to stay hidden.

Now maybe I just scared them lol. What's this white boy doing in the hood? But I proceed to drive around the block. And they kept walking down the block. So I go back to my clients house, knock the door watching my surroundings, and of course the clients not there. So I call him and he's at his sisters, he gives me directions and I head out. Then I pass the two homies going the opposite way they had been heading.

So I don't know, it all just didnt feel right. Any suggestions or observations for the future?

I would get a new job not worth it
    NONAME762 and WHEC724 like this.

Good SA and staying alert but I'm thinking they're just surprised to see a white boy in the hood. Lol.

Distinguished Member
    Get out of your car with gun in hand, put it in your pocket and tell them you cant stay for dinner but maybe you can catch them later. Then drive on to your appt. They aren't going to call the cops and next time they see you they will not consider you a soft target. This assumes you have a permit to carry concealed. It is perfectly legal for you to be pulling your weapon out of the car and into your concealed carry position. Even if you have no intention of leaving it in that pocket. Smile as if they are old friends when you talk to them.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    I would get a new job not worth it
    Yeah I made $1300 today...and that was a bad day for me.
    DetChris and Arborigine like this.

I had to look up surreptiously.

I always live by the Just because I am paranoid, it does not mean someone is not out to get me rule.
    ep1953 likes this.

VIP Member
    You were on your toes, and nothing happened, and you were prepared. And yes, you were paranoid, but in a healthy way.

I would rather offend an innocent party than be subject to the drop of a guilty party because I did not want to risk being offensive.

As for the two guys walking down the street, in retrospect they may have been wondering who YOU were, and what YOU were doing there. Spidey Senses go both ways. For all they knew, you could have been up to no good and they were concerned. We often forget that when we are the strangers in the area, we may be the suspects.

But that doesn't matter. Exercising SA does, and staying out of trouble.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by farsidefan1 View Post
    Get out of your car with gun in hand, put it in your pocket and tell them you cant stay for dinner but maybe you can catch them later. Then drive on to your appt. They aren't going to call the cops and next time they see you they will not consider you a soft target. This assumes you have a permit to carry concealed. It is perfectly legal for you to be pulling your weapon out of the car and into your concealed carry position. Even if you have no intention of leaving it in that pocket. Smile as if they are old friends when you talk to them.
    Well I don't carry the BHP. I just got my license, faster than I thought and I'm trying to find a blued sr9c. That's what I want to carry. Because of my business casual, I've got some ccw breakaway pants on the way and that's how I plan to carry...if it works out.

Go by your gut feel every time. Be wary if they split up and one crosses the street. Sometimes they then circle behind. I worked in the hood at a large trauma center and learned to survive the wolves

Go Seahawks!
    patri0t likes this.

I'm trying to find a blued sr9c
    When I knew I was getting the SR9c, it was necessary to consider what finish. I went with the stainless upper.

The thinking here is that if I point a gun at somebody, I want them to see it. I'm not a Navy Seal, not planning on black ops, not wanting to maneuver in the shadows. On presentation, the message should be "Good time to go find something else to do, pal." Also, the stainless is less prone to showing visible scratches and holster wear, and it's easy to maintain. Looks good, too.

Regarding the rest, yes, you showed good SA. Well done.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    When I knew I was getting the SR9c, it was necessary to consider what finish. I went with the stainless upper.

The thinking here is that if I point a gun at somebody, I want them to see it. I'm not a Navy Seal, not planning on black ops, not wanting to maneuver in the shadows. On presentation, the message should be "Good time to go find something else to do, pal." Also, the stainless is less prone to showing visible scratches and holster wear, and it's easy to maintain. Looks good, too.

Regarding the rest, yes, you showed good SA. Well done.
    That's a good point. I initially wanted the stainless, but I read somewhere about some guy getting shot by a BG, because they saw the light reflect off of his ccw as he was drawing. So that was the reason, plus I think the blued looks cooler personally :)

VIP Member
    Everyone came through the interview process unscathed. I would put that down as a win for all involved.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Don't believe everything you read on the internet - in fact take it all with a grain of salt. Buy what you want and like and you shoot good with and practice. Don't worry about the rest. Criminals are criminals and they can tell when your pulling out a pack of gum or a 9mm.
    " Life is tough and it gets tougher if your stupid." John Wayne.

They were just walking home from the store. By sitting in your car and looking at them in your rear view mirror, you were stalking them. How dare you look at them in your mirror. That threatened them and they would have been justified in defending themselves from you with a preemptive strike against you...and you would have been in the wrong if you did anything back. Now go confess your sins and ask for forgiveness.

We REALLY need a sarcasm font.
    1MoreGoodGuy and miklcolt45 like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Maybe they figured you were a cop. Or a hitman. Or a pedophile. Or he thought you were attractive. Who knows? IMHO you did just the right thing.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links